+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Foam rollers and stretch bands use of before and after  (Read 6907 times)

lgbran

Foam rollers and stretch bands use of before and after
« on: October 09, 2013, 07:10:57 PM »
4.5 Weeeks until surgery. In an effort to get as fit as possible just purchased a foam roller for massage and stretch band for excercises.cyling most days and watching my weight.going to start doing the pre op excercises recommended here and on the other site.Has anyone used a foam roller as therapy after surgery and how long before you can do so. It's pretty painful in a good way using it now so imagine it will be sometime before using it post surgery. Any feedback would be most welcome
Cheers
Len
RBHR 11/11/13 by Stephen McMahon @
The Avenue Hospital Melbourne Australia

chuckm

Re: Foam rollers and stretch bands use of before and after
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2013, 07:14:26 AM »
Len, definitely use the foam roller after surgery. Go to the top of this page here and use the search tab and search 'foam rollers'. There has been lots of discussion.
I started using a foam roller at 4 weeks - but very gently using my upper body strength to hold myself up. I'm about 10 months post op and still use it whenever I have soreness and it always helps.

Chuckm
Left BHR 11/30/12
Hospital for Special Surgery
46 years old

hernanu

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2013, 08:21:50 AM »
I agree with chuck - to me the roller has been one of my best tools for making the recovery come along.

It is a challenge the first week or so, but afterwards it's a palpable relief to me.

I used and still sometimes do use the bands. I particularly liked one exercise that I did in outpatient PT (4 weeks+):

• Tie a band around the bottom of a chair leg,  one of the back two.
  • Slip your foot in until the band is around your ankle so you're facing towards the back of the chair. Keep close to the chair in all of these
  • Keeping your leg straight, pull back until a good amount of resistance.
  • Repeat a good number of times. I started with five, went to ten.
  • turn to your right 90 degress, both feet parallel, your left side to the back of the chair.
  • Now move your foot sideways, keeping the leg straight for n repetitions to resistance.
  • Turn right again 90 degrees, facing away from the chair.
  • Holding on to the back of the chair, move your foot forwards, keeping your leg straight for n repetitions.
  • One more 90 degree right turn, this time your right is sideways to the back of the chair.
  • Pull the foot across the front of your leg, stop at the proper resistance. Repeat n times.
  • And you're done...

Now I started this after about five weeks and had no restrictions except 50 lbs carrying and no impact sports.  Check your restrictions and make sure this plays well with them.

Make sure you're comfortable, always hold on to the back of the chair, if you need to step over the band to be in the best position, do so.

It is a very gentle exercise, but really addresses the small muscles both on the supporting leg and the moving leg. I still do them periodically to see if I am strong in all directions. Preventative in my part.

Eventually, once you are a pro with one band, you can either use another with more resistance or use two in a loop. That wasn't until about six or seven months for me. I don't think you want to over stress this, just get them strong enough to do well.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 08:29:31 AM by hernanu »
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

mike1966

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2013, 08:42:03 AM »
Hi Len, when I came completely off walking aids at about 7 weeks my IT band started acting up and giving me knee pain. I went for the roller, massage and the pool. All worked well and no probs since. I would definitely get a roller ready to go!

Cheers

Mike
LBHR 2nd April 2012 Dr Van Winden

lgbran

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2013, 06:59:27 AM »
Thanks folks for the advice will do. After I posted this used the search option and found the discussions. Had a play with the roller yesterday and it wasn't bad. Much better then the ball things I brought which were far harder to use
Thanks again cheers Len
RBHR 11/11/13 by Stephen McMahon @
The Avenue Hospital Melbourne Australia

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat