+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: 10 days til surgery  (Read 2076 times)

greateressex

10 days til surgery
« on: October 14, 2013, 08:38:27 PM »
Well it's 10 days til surgery. Is it normal to question yourself if I should wait.  Crazy thing go through your head. I'm 41 years old and having hip resurfacing. What is the things to do to prevent infections. I hear that is one of the things to watch for.  Dave

Staggerwing

Re: 10 days til surgery
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 09:41:22 PM »
Dave,
I'm 25 days way and I go through periods of anxiety and some fear but I don't doubt for a minute it's the right thing to do.  I'm 48 and it doesn't seem fair but it is what it is.  I keep thinking, "if I can just make it through till the IV is in and they give me some good meds to take the edge off I'll be fine."  There's too many people on the other side that endorse this so keep your eye on the prize and you'll do fine. 
As far as infection, I don't know other than to look at the doctor's statistics and see if infection is a problem. 
Good luck to you.  It will be fine. 
Nathan
LBHR, Dr. Brooks, Euclid, Ohio,  11/8/13

Marco Polo

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2013, 10:21:13 PM »
In my view the most important things you can do to minimize the risk of infection are to check the hospital stats on infection rates and follow your doctor's instructions regarding caring for your incision.  Later on, many doctors recommend that you take antibiotics before having dental work performed.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 10:29:49 PM by Marco Polo »
Marco, RBHR, Della Valle, 3/29/13

Granton

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2013, 02:49:46 AM »
It is absolutely normal to wonder whether you could manage without. And you could, as you would have had to before resurfacing was developed. My father had bad hips from his late 40s and was 56 before they let him have THRs. His life completely changed, he had been reduced to spending his time sitting in a specially made armchair.

That's why I went looking for my first when I was about 50, I did not want to waste all those years. Fortunately the BHR had come along and my 50s were great. Fourteen years on, the joint is till perfect, apparently and I got the other one done last week.

I know you are even younger, but if they get it right, the joints do seem to last at least fifteen years, probably a lot more. And the outcome is so good. So there is a huge upside to having it done. You just need to stack the odds in your favour by getting a really good and experienced surgeon.

As to infections, Mr McMinn never told me to take any special precautions when going to the dentist. I am on antibiotics for a couple of weeks following the surgery, because I needed a catheter for a while.

I was very nervous before my first and considered getting up and going home. I am very glad I didn't. All the best for yours. Keep us up to date.

David
David
Rt BHR Nov 1999
Lt BHR Oct 2013
Mr D McMinn

whyme

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2013, 12:52:05 PM »
Dave,

I too struggled with the idea of a hip replacement, as I was too "young" for it (46 at the time of the surgery), basically couldn't accept the facts and kept hoping for the hip to last longer and some miracle, less traumatic treatment, would come up meanwhile. But there isn't.

When some basic daily activities became a burden, and walking in particular very unpleasant (just avoided it where possible) I knew it was time. In my case it went suddenly downhill in a matter of a couple of months, after more or less steady deterioration for 4-5 years. Then it was difficult to cope the last months before surgery, I didn't see the point of keep going anymore.

Regarding infection, as mentioned in previous posts the surgeon and hospital stats help, but of course there isn't 100% certainty or guaranteed results.
I'm tomorrow 6 weeks post op and so far no regrets (quite the opposite).
Best of luck!

Left hip resurfacing (Conserve Plus) 2013-09-04
Dr. De Smet

oldsoccerplayer

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2013, 07:42:02 AM »
greateressex:
I think we all experience anxiety leading up to the surgery. In your case could it be general anxiety that's just latched on to worrying about infection as something to focus on?
My post-op instructions for looking after the incision wound (is that what you're concerned about?) were no bathing for a month, showers were OK. The dressing could come off after a week and there was some prescription cream to use on the scar. When that ran out I used neosporin for a couple of weeks until the scar closed up completely and then vaseline for another couple of weeks because it felt like the scar tissue was dry.
Good luck, keep us posted.
BioMet Left Hip Resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 07/2013

keepmovin

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2013, 01:07:38 PM »
greateressex-

I cancelled my surgery twice!  Tomorrow I finally go in for my second resurfacing.  You'll know when you've had enough!  It doesn't get better, just worse.  I did get a hip shot which bought me time and I used that time to enjoy myself and get things done so I'm ready now!

I think as long as you go to a reputable hospital and take your own precautions, infection should not be something you should worry about-be aware, take the necessary precautions and you will be fine!

Good luck!
LBHR - HSS, Dr. Su, 4/11/2011
RBHR - HSS, Dr. Su,  10/17/2013

lgbran

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2013, 09:51:47 PM »
Good luck and I am sure you will be fine,

50 years old and should of have this done a few years back
I am 24 days out til my surgery. It's only natural to be anxious. If I could have had this surgery a year ago I would have but look at all the before and after stories here , good and bad and the results speak for themselves. It's funny have stopped taking my painkillers and moving better then ever , however 8'hours of work,tomorrow will test me out . Having the weirdest dreams as well. It's a normal reaction what you are experiencing. With regards to infections any surgery has it's risks.
Finally had a long overdue dentists appointment yesterday and was told post surgery will require antibiotics 1 hour before certain dental procedures for remainder of my life post surgery to stop the risk of infection. Guess surgeon will advise accordingly.

. All the best ,
Len
RBHR 11/11/13 by Stephen McMahon @
The Avenue Hospital Melbourne Australia

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat