+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Officially a Bilat-shinny new hip installed  (Read 2543 times)

keepmovin

Officially a Bilat-shinny new hip installed
« on: October 20, 2013, 06:04:37 PM »
HI folks
I'm posting this under hip stories (I hope), original post under hip topics.
Home from having my second resurfacing - so far, smooth transition

Surgery time: 2:15pm, Thursday 10-17-13
My surgery was done at HSS (Hospital for Special Surgeries) Dr. Su, NYC
Once in recovery room, my husband was allowed in for short period to let me know all went well with the surgery - no surprises!  Dr. Su also told him that I was a good candidate for resurfacing as my bone quality was good and muscle tone in great shape.  I am female, mild dysplasia and 55 years old - not a great candidate on paper, so only the best Dr. with experience would do for me.
However, I had two post-op concerns: very low blood pressure and high pulse rate, and extreme nausea - nothing would stay down, not even ice chips.  After 3 attempts at nausea medications and still bring up green bile, they called in the special forces! :-[  (pain management group).  I was given a nausea patch to put behind my ear.  Once the patch was in place, they started me on a liquid diet which soon progressed to soft, then normal diet.

I’ve been under anesthesia before, many times, and never felt sick.  I was hooked up to the epidural drip and perhaps that wasn’t agreeable to my system.  Guess I will never really know, but once I could keep food down I felt so much better and caught up rather quickly in PT. :)

The next issue was blood pressure and high pulse rate – they felt pressure way to low to be released.  In recovery, it was sporadic, dipping below 90 (85/70) at times. (low blood pressure is normal for me, but they were not comfortable with it)  I also had “the shakes” after surgery.  I had this the last time and prepared them that this could happen again, so when it did happen again, they were quite aware and took care of that promptly. 

In every way, I was healing rapidly and didn’t need to be there, I wanted to be released on Saturday.  It was the low pressure that held them back.  Finally was able to convince them and left Sat. afternoon, blood pressure 100/70.

Today is Sunday and have spent most of the day just resting, icing (using an icing machine), took my first shower, working on the swelling, and walking around the house with crutches.  I feel very stiff, achy everywhere in left leg, pinching at the incision sight, but nothing abnormal.  I’m using a localized lidoderm patch placed near the incision site to control pain, something different from 2 years ago along with all the other med scripts they send you home with.

Home nurse and Physical Therapy begin tomorrow.  So, at this point, pretty standard stuff and uneventful -- hoping it stays that way!   
LBHR - HSS, Dr. Su, 4/11/2011
RBHR - HSS, Dr. Su,  10/17/2013

hernanu

Re: Officially a Bilat-shinny new hip installed
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2013, 07:15:20 PM »
That's great Debbie... Too bad about the blood pressure and nausea, but glad that it's done and you're back on the move.

Wishing you a short and boring recovery.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

oldsoccerplayer

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2013, 07:38:25 PM »
Thanks for the update. I remembered your surgery was scheduled for late last week and was a bit worried that we hadn't heard from you. Hang in there, sounds like you're past the worst of it.
BioMet Left Hip Resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 07/2013

Juno

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2013, 07:29:55 AM »
Congratulations! So glad to hear you are home and recovering. Take care and keep us posted. I'll be joining you as as a bilateral in 8 weeks :)
Right resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 7/11/13
Left resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 12/11/13

hernanu

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2013, 09:34:50 AM »
Congratulations! So glad to hear you are home and recovering. Take care and keep us posted. I'll be joining you as as a bilateral in 8 weeks :)

That's right Juno... joining the club in a couple of months...
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

keepmovin

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2013, 09:27:33 PM »
Hi Juno,

Eight weeks will come up fast!  Enjoy yourself in the meantime!  I hope to be walking unassisted by then - I'll watch for your progress reports!
LBHR - HSS, Dr. Su, 4/11/2011
RBHR - HSS, Dr. Su,  10/17/2013

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat