+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: BLOOD LEVELS  (Read 2287 times)

BI-LAT

BLOOD LEVELS
« on: October 22, 2013, 10:21:40 AM »
Hi, I had BHR in the right hip in 2006 and BHR in the left hip 2011. I recently had a blood test to determine chromium/cobalt levels. (everyone should yearly) The result was 50.8.  I have no pain or symptoms associated with these high levels. I understand that these are high levels and considered toxic. My surgeon  is perplexed at this because I am not in pain or having symptoms of toxic levels.  I would appreciate all of your knowledge on this to determine what action I should take if any. my doctors approach seems to be wait and see.  Thank you.  BILAT.

Marco Polo

Re: BLOOD LEVELS
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2013, 01:10:28 PM »
BI-LAT:

Others may weigh in with more medical knowledge but I am wondering whether yours is the type of situation where an MRI might be useful in determining whether there is a problem with your implant even though you are not experiencing symptoms.  I know there was a discussion thread recently about a study conducted at the Hospital for Special Surgery (HSS) indicating that an MRI had been used effectively for this purpose.
Marco, RBHR, Della Valle, 3/29/13

BI-LAT

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2013, 02:39:28 PM »
Thanks Marco Polo. I failed to mention I did have an MRI in an effort to explain my situation but my doctor seemed to think everything looked fine.  He said he would get the thoughts of his other orthopedic friends to come up with a conclusion but has not notified me of any action I should take. BILAT.

hernanu

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2013, 04:22:10 PM »
Hi, sorry that you're dealing with this. Were those the results for both Chromium and cobalt, and what were the units reported (50 ... what?).

Since you have an MRI result, it may be worthwhile to take your results and ask one of the surgeons here who provide a second opinion without charging a fee to look at them and let you know what they think.

They are some of the best in the world and can give you good advice.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

BI-LAT

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2013, 10:36:57 PM »
Hi, the blood result indicates chromium serum 50.8.

John C

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2013, 08:48:26 PM »
It sounds like you are doing all the right things. As suggested, maybe a second opinion on the MRI would be useful. As mentioned, some of the top resurfacing surgeons like Dr Gross may look at your MRIs without charge.
The only other idea that I can think of is to do a needle aspiration. The color and makeup of the fluid may tell you a lot, with minimal expense or trouble.
Please keep us up to date.
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

BI-LAT

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2013, 10:42:49 AM »
what I really need is for someone to convert and explain my blood test result which indicates chromium serum 50.8 H <1.5mcg/L.  Cobalt - serum 57.0 hf.  am I ok?  lol  thanks.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat