+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: pain after sitting for long period of time  (Read 6016 times)

sharleen

pain after sitting for long period of time
« on: October 24, 2013, 11:37:08 AM »
I am just over 4 months post op left BHR. My problem is that I have a considerable amount of pain when getting up and putting weight on the operated leg after having been at the computer or on a car journey etc for any period of time. The pain is in my upper left (middle) thigh. It is really pretty excruciating for about 10-15 seconds and then goes away and I am completely normal again. I REALLY want this to go away and thought that it would the more active I became. It hasn't! I am hoping that it is muscular.
Has anyone else had this problem and if so how did you alleviate it? All I want after all this time is to be pain free!
Thanks!
Sharleen

Juno

Re: pain after sitting for long period of time
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2013, 12:01:39 PM »
Sharleen -- I am also 4 months post op and I still get some start up weakness and tenderness in the hip/glute area aftere sitting for longer than an hour. A car ride especially makes me feel stiff.
I would bet that the pain you are experiencing is related to the smaller muscles that are still in reovery. Those small rotators and the hip flexor muscles are still trying to gain strength. I have found that while the ROM is better it really is going to take more time than I thought for me to not "think" about my hip, the ROM and what movements I can and cannot do comfortablly. Funny, but those uncomfortable movements seem to change on a daily basis!
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 01:11:24 PM by Juno »
Right resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 7/11/13
Left resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 12/11/13

sharleen

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2013, 12:48:43 PM »
Juno, it looks as though we are on the same page. I have looked at diagrams to try and pinpoint what muscles these could be but not having much luck. Any idea how to strengthen them? OR maybe in time the problem will rectify itself. I just hate feeling wobbly!

Juno

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2013, 01:17:25 PM »
For the front of the leg I would suggest continuing with forward leg raises -- specifically from a laying down position (this is harder than doing it from a standing position). I try to do 30 of these every night -- lift and hold for 5 seconds and then lower slowly. I can still feel the pull in my hip flexor/groin area everytime I get to number 10! Those smaller, assisting muscles take time and also fatigue quicker.

Now that I am 4 months I am trying to make sure I stretch every night too. I start by sitting criss-cross on the floor for 5-6 minutes (just this alone really has helped with ROM). from there I do glute lifts and squeezes, front and side leg lifts and then basic stretches. I'm having a hard time because my left hip still needs to be resurfaced (I'll be a bilateral hippy after December 11th!) -- but I keep doing it and it really is helping.

hernanu

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2013, 01:20:31 PM »
Sharleen, is it on the outside of the thigh?
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

sharleen

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2013, 01:49:14 PM »
Yes, top outer thigh.

Juno

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2013, 01:55:09 PM »
Outer thigh could be your IT band. You wrote middle thigh earlier --- I took that to mean front middle of the quad muscle :)

A foam roller might help your IT band loosen up! Worth trying.

sharleen

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2013, 02:02:33 PM »
I suppose what I meant was the side of my thigh...

sharleen

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2013, 02:18:13 PM »
Juno - thanks for the advice regarding exercises - must get back to doing those! I became bilateral on June 24th! Where do you buy the roller?

hippy hippy shake

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2013, 04:07:34 PM »
I am 6 months out from my bilateral, and after sitting for a while, or driving I still get up and do "the shuffle".   It is getting better slowly, especially now that I'm doing more in the gym, but it still is definitely present.  I was taking this as part of the typical healing process.  It's the upper quads and hip flexors more than the IT band.  I am working on strengthening them, but  I probably need to do more flexibility as well.   

What would a "typical" range of time be (months after surgery) for still having the slow startup after sitting or driving?

Thanks
Bilateral BHR 4/18/2013
Dr. Su

hernanu

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2013, 05:12:44 PM »
Everyone is different, but I still had startup issues until about nine months.

Sharleen, I bought the roller from a PT before I knew I had OA - was taking physical therapy for my "muscular issues" and the roller helped.

You can get them at most sporting goods stores in my area, but Amazon also has them:

http://www.amazon.com/White-Foam-Roller-6x36-Round/dp/B0008KLAB0/ref=sr_1_8?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1382649068&sr=1-8&keywords=foam+rollers+for+muscles

It's about fifteen dollars. No need to pay more, as the more expensive ones do exactly the same thing.

It sounds like your IT band needs work, and the roller was a major part of helping mine.

sharleen

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2013, 05:53:34 PM »
Thanks Hernan - will definitely get the roller. I hate to sound stupid but what exactly do you do with it? I haven't seen one so have no idea of size, whether you lie down etc. If you could give me a few basic instructions I would be very grateful! Also when at the sporting goods store do I just ask for a roller?
Hippy Shake - you hit the nail on the head "The Shuffle" that's exactly what it is! :)

Juno

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2013, 07:35:04 PM »
Sharleen,
Go to YouTube and search IT band / foam roller. There are some great videos that will show you the basic idea. Beware -- it may hurt, but it gets better as the IT band tendon loosens. Good luck!
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 03:21:03 PM by Juno »

sharleen

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2013, 08:17:36 PM »
Thanks Juno - Pain? What's that? Nothing and I mean nothing can compare to the pain pre-op! Right? Healing pain feels so much better and is so much easier to deal with!

hippy hippy shake

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2013, 09:39:41 PM »
Hern,

When I thought about it some more, I probably should be working on the IT bands as well.  I know that in PT they rolled the IT bands some, and it was helpful.  It hurt like heck (but my therapist seemed to enjoy it!).  I guess I enjoyed the results, because when they switched therapists and the new one didn't dig in hard enough, I had her go harder.

HHS
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 09:42:44 PM by hippy hippy shake »
Bilateral BHR 4/18/2013
Dr. Su

hernanu

« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2013, 09:31:02 AM »
Thanks Hernan - will definitely get the roller. I hate to sound stupid but what exactly do you do with it? I haven't seen one so have no idea of size, whether you lie down etc. If you could give me a few basic instructions I would be very grateful! Also when at the sporting goods store do I just ask for a roller?
Hippy Shake - you hit the nail on the head "The Shuffle" that's exactly what it is! :)

The basic IT exercise is fairly simple. I always use the version with the supporting foot on the floor. Stacking it seems like showing off (and way too unstable).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoHBDim_fzk

There are useful ones for the lower back, upper back, etc. also.

hernanu

« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2013, 09:32:54 AM »
Hern,

When I thought about it some more, I probably should be working on the IT bands as well.  I know that in PT they rolled the IT bands some, and it was helpful.  It hurt like heck (but my therapist seemed to enjoy it!).  I guess I enjoyed the results, because when they switched therapists and the new one didn't dig in hard enough, I had her go harder.

HHS

I think all hippies should do this when able, just to ensure that the IT band is properly worked.

sharleen

« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2013, 11:09:56 AM »
Juno - when you say you sit criss cross on the floor is that the same as sitting cross legged? (American/Brit thing!) If that's what you mean I can't really do that. Just tried. I am very stiff!

Juno

« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2013, 03:26:27 PM »
Sharleen --- in the southern part of the USA we call it Criss-cross applesauce! Haha! It's sitting on the floor with both knees bent and legs essentially tucked. Like in yoga but not stacking the foot on top of the thigh. (Does that make sense?) When I first started sitting like that it was painful, but gradually over several week I can now do it comfortably. I do still get a sharp pain from my knee to my ankle at time --- it is very tight and I am doing a lot of calf stretches to help it.

Hern --- that is the foam roller release I would always do pre-surgery for my IT band. For the life of me I can't get into that position (and feel stable) yet! I'm hoping to soon.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat