+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: rehab  (Read 1438 times)

Rob davidson

rehab
« on: October 29, 2013, 04:23:08 PM »
I am 32 days since resurfacing - curious if there is a recommended  rehab protocol given the stage I am currently in.  Generally speaking I feel mobility is great; still have some pain that crops up about 2am.  Thanks, Rob

oldsoccerplayer

Re: rehab
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2013, 04:51:09 PM »
I  think every surgeon has their own set of recommendations.  These documents will show you Dr. Gross' protocols.
The first is for up to 6 weeks post-op when you do the follow-up visit, then you go to PhaseII

http://grossortho.com/forms/form_Rapid_Recovery.pdf
http://www.grossortho.com/forms/Others/PhaseIIHipExercises.pdf

Probably best if you ask your surgeon about his / her recommendations. Various aches and pains are quite normal, and if things are generally going well I wouldn't stress over it unless it's persistent and chronic (easy for me to say).
BioMet Left Hip Resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 07/2013

whyme

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2013, 05:31:03 PM »
Hi Rob,

As we are all different and every surgeon has their own protocol, you need to check with your surgeon and physiotherapist (if you use one).

In my case, if it helps, I posted something on my own hip story a couple of weeks ago (at 6 weeks post op) but here you have it:

I was still using one crutch to walk, but not indoors. Now (at almost 8 weeks) I don't use it anymore.

Regarding exercises, the focus is on gaining strength and mobility, but gently: low intensity, high reps (20-25) or less reps but hold 5-10", low angles. I don't do any stretching or exercises to specifically force mobility.

Typical daily routine:
Walk x 2: total ~2h, 8-10km.
Static bike x 1: total 30', 65-70rpm, lowest resistance (around 35 Watt).
Hip exercises x 2: total 2h. (Glutes, quads, calf raises, toe raises, standing hip flexion, squats low angle no weight, lunges low angle no weight, abduction standing, standing leg forward and backward, lateral lunges, step laterally).

Left hip resurfacing (Conserve Plus) 2013-09-04
Dr. De Smet

Rob davidson

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2013, 11:34:45 AM »
thanks for the great and timely feedback. Rob

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM