+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: 5 weeks and counting  (Read 2051 times)

Juno

5 weeks and counting
« on: November 04, 2013, 04:36:06 PM »
I received all the approval paperwork from my insurance company today and a copy of Dr. Gross' preop hospital orders. 5 weeks and counting and I'll be a bilateral hipster. As hard as I know recovery will be, I can't wait to get the second hip done and be on my way to a FULL recovery of both sides. It's not going to make for a fun Christmas holiday, but I figure I can just rest and relax.

Thanks for letting me share.
Right resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 7/11/13
Left resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 12/11/13

hernanu

Re: 5 weeks and counting
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013, 05:14:32 PM »
Five weeks goes by fast, as I'm sure you know. Especially with Thanksgiving in between.

I had my second at about that time (the day after Thanksgiving on 2010), Nov. 29 (my three year on the second hip is coming up), so I can empathize.

I was pretty much mobile by the third week of recouping, so by the 20th or so, was doing well with crutches, etc.  By Christmas and New Years, I was mostly on one crutch but still needed the rest, etc.

So it's not the best of things, but you will have a gift of both hips being OA free!

The only time it affected me was when I had bought a ticket to a Jazz club, walked out and my parking lot was a skating rink, ice everywhere. I tried to approach my car from all angles, then gave up. That was the once, I went everywhere else (with care, watching for ice) and was in good shape.

The best of luck, Juno - I can tell you that if you need it, being done on both hips is the place to be!
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Munch

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2013, 05:08:30 PM »
Hi Juno,  I just joined the board yesterday and have been reading all threads starting with current but got back to yours from before fist surgery and mulling over bilateral.  Well, I was thinking I'd get one hip done and have made decision to go with Dr gross but on my consult he said left is bad and I might want to consider bilateral.  I know my "good" hip has lost 85% of its cartilage, decreased range of motion and last summer it really hurt a couple of nights after active days, but it never occurred to me to do this now.  So I talked to a good friend that's on orthopedic surgeon and he said it's pretty bad OA so maybe smart to get it over with.  So believe it or not I am now scheduled for the  9 and 11 of December.  Sounds like you'll be having your second one the same day as I have my first?

So my question is, with the benefit of hindsight, do you  think bilateral would have been an ok route, or are you really glad you've spaced them out. I think if I wait, it might be for a year or two, and then who knows if any advances in technique or materials, etc.  but there's the very real chance that the good hip becomes a bad hip and I still have a limp and hip problems even after all the slog of surgery and recovery.   

I'm totally sure it's time for my left hip now, so it's all about whether to bite the bullet and try to do both.  I'd really appreciate anybody else's feedback on this topic too, of course. Thanks in advance.

Ps, this site is awesome and this forum amazing for all f us to share these conversations. Thanks again. 
Left hip resurfacing by Dr. Gross December 9, 2013
Right hip resurfacing by Dr. Gross December 11, 2013

Juno

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2013, 09:29:27 PM »
Hi Munch and welcome to the boards! I guess you and I might see each other at PT group while at Providence Hospital. Yes, my surgery is on the 11th. I'll be having my right hip done. I am that 7:30am surgery that day.

I contemplated doing both at the same time. However, I needed to work surgery in between my work schedule. I am a RN and I work in the schools system. It just made sense to do one at a time --- I was able to return to work at 4 weeks. So, #2 is getting done right before Winter Break and I hope to be able to return to work on January 6th.

Honestly , after having one done already, I am not sure I would have had the mental fortitude to do both at the same time. It is a hard few weeks initially and I was glad I had a "good leg" to stand on. I'm sure I would have done just fine, but I really wanted to be back to work in 4 weeks and I know I couldn't have done that with bilateral surgery. Dr. Gross have me the option. He was more than willing to do both in the same week. Fortunately I only am a 3 hour car ride from Columbia, so it's not too bad.

I do wish that I was already done with high, but I just am resolved that this is a year to 18 month long process. It's all good. I am sure you will do great. Hope to see you on the 12th. Where are you coming from? If its anything like last time, I will spend one nigh in the hospital and go home on early afternoon on the 12th.

Munch

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2013, 12:49:24 AM »
thanks for the reply.  I'm coming in from Houston, TX.  Nice that there's one non-stop flight each day, so I fly in Sunday and fly home Saturday  with surgeries Monday and Wednesday.  On the 11th I'm the 1:30pm surgery, so I can do PT before I guess.  I'd love to be first thing in the morning but I'm there all week so I guess it doesn't really matter.  On the 12th I'll be coming off 2 operations but hopefully coherent enough to say hi!

I may post a question on the bi-lateral section of these boards about people's experiences with that, but maybe I shouldn't overthink it..  it'll be really tough but all done in one slog..

Thanks again.

Juno

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2013, 08:00:34 AM »
Munch --- definitely read some of the bilateral information posted, but I agree, don't over think it. You have to go into it with a "just do it" attitude. Know that the first few weeks are the hardest (finding a comfortable sleeping position was the worst for me). Dr. Gross does such a good job at preop protocol that you will be fairly comfortable for the first few days. From there it's a matter of following post op protocol and doing the prescribed exercises. Make sure someone is available to help you at home --- my husband was awesome. But he did got back to work after 5 - 6 days and I managed at home alone (slowly and taking my time).

You will do great. I wish you all the best. Only 2 more weeks and all that terrible OA pain will be gone. It really is wonderful. I'm off to spin class --- told my husband I'm running this left hip into the ground before it gets resurfaced. Might as well go into surgery in the best shape possible :)

Munch

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2013, 09:59:17 AM »
Thanks for the follow up. It all makes sense and the "just do it" line has sort of been my mantra so I think I'll stick with it.  My good hip doesn't hurt but ROM pretty bad so it all is likely for the best.. 2 weeks and counting till hip#1!

Lauren Lee

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2013, 10:28:31 PM »
Juno, you go! Looking forward to hearing wonderful reports as you return to your fully active athletic lifestyle!
RBHR on June 17, 2013

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal