+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: One couple, three resurfacings  (Read 2821 times)

dhasty4126

One couple, three resurfacings
« on: November 07, 2013, 12:29:21 PM »
I am on Day 4 of recovery following left hip resurfacing with Dr. Riyaz Jinnah. I knew quite a lot of what to expect since my husband had both hips resurfaced, one in 2009 and one in 2011. He had both procedures done at Wake Forest Baptist, where Dr. Jinnah was head of orthopedics for many years and was an advocate of HR. Back then, I didn't necessarily foresee surgery for myself, but my hip pain greatly worsened over the past year and I couldn't enjoy the active lifestyle that has always been so important to me. The bad news is that Wake no longer performs HR, only THR! So off I went in search of another surgeon, which was fairly frustrating.I believe it was divine providence that  led me to call Wake one more time to see if their stance had changed. It had not, but I did learn that Dr. Jinnah had resigned and was now practicing in a town only about 40 miles away from us! I want to make sure that anyone interested in HR, especially anyone in North Carolina, knows about Dr. Jinnah. This man is a world-class surgeon and I believe he is the only one in NC who has performed hundreds of HR procedures. He is confident and personable and has the latest technology on his side. Now ... I just need to get through the recovery process!

oldsoccerplayer

Re: One couple, three resurfacings
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2013, 01:30:00 PM »
Thanks for sharing, and good luck with the recovery. It looks like we Carolina residents have 2 choices, Dr. Jenna in NC and Dr. Gross in SC. What device does Dr. Jenna use? That might be a factor for those who want to choose one or the other.
BioMet Left Hip Resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 07/2013

dhasty4126

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2013, 03:48:53 PM »
Good question. Dr. Jinnah uses Conserve Plus. I've read lots of good things about Dr. Gross too.

dhasty4126

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2013, 03:17:19 PM »
Day 4 of recovery and first day without oxy/acetaminopen combo. I hate that stuff. Taking Advil now. Any other suggestions? Still weak and swollen, but feeling better.

hernanu

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2013, 08:56:27 AM »
Just keep your spirits up and be active while also resting a lot. Easy, no?

Use ice liberally, in a good way to avoid frostbite. Walk as much as you can but realize that it's not a race, so cut yourself some slack if you need to rest. Elevate your leg while resting.

The path is long, but the results you're seeing and you will see will make you happy.

All in all, let your body guide you - don't do anything that hurts, but do move and stand as much as you can. Do you have home physical therapy, or a set of exercises?
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

keepmovin

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2013, 05:37:06 PM »
Hi dhasty4126,

Welcome!
You are still early out in your recovery but the fact that you mention you feel better at day 4 is great!  Do you have home physical therapy lined up?  Once you begin that and slowly become more mobile, you will feel even better.  Best advice, as everyone here will tell you is to take it slow, rest, and keep up the physical therapy.

Good luck to you and keep us posted!
LBHR - HSS, Dr. Su, 4/11/2011
RBHR - HSS, Dr. Su,  10/17/2013

dhasty4126

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2013, 09:41:07 AM »
Thanks for the good  advice. I really wish I had set up home PT, but as my husband didn't either time, I didn't bother. I do know several exercises and am doing those and walking quite a bit. Whether it's the difference between men and women, he did seem to recover faster! Maybe that's just my memory ...

keepmovin

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2013, 05:34:36 PM »
Is there a possibility that you can still get the help?  I think having someone come in may really help in many ways - support for you and assistance with the proper exercises that will help you get stronger.  You mention your husband didn't have the PT but he had you!  You probably gave him more support than both of you realize.

Are the exercises you are doing recommendations from your Dr?  Most Drs. have their own protocol to follow so you might want to check with the office.  Walking is great!

Find your own pace to recovery.  Your husband may have had a speedy recovery but your's may have its own track.

This is a great site to explore for answers and support you need going forward! :)

LBHR - HSS, Dr. Su, 4/11/2011
RBHR - HSS, Dr. Su,  10/17/2013

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM