+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Any Dr.Brooks patients? - Exercises?  (Read 3628 times)

patm

Any Dr.Brooks patients? - Exercises?
« on: November 07, 2013, 02:46:17 PM »
I had a right BHR July 16th with Dr.Books at the Cleveland Clinic - everything has gone pretty well, no real problems to speak of. I do have some weakness in my upper quad that is especially noticable going up stairs - it is weak, and I have a moderate aching right in the middle of my quad. Dr.Brooks is very conservative in his rehab protocal from what I can tell reading about other peoples recoveries. I was not allowed to do straight leg raises for 6 weeks, and then at six weeks I was told to really not do them for a year. Also no squat machines, stairclimbers, anything that puts more of a direct pressure with resistence in the hip joint. They really recommended no weight on the legs at all until a year, then anything goes. For exericses they recommended walking, treadmill, bicycling, and elliptical. I asked about rowing (I have a machine) and they said no. My problem is that my left knee is very bad and I literally can't walk on a treadmill or use a bicycle for exericse, even walking for exercise is minimal because of my knee. Everything I like to do, or could do - rower, Nu-step,Cybex squats, etc. I am not allowed to do for a year. What have the rest of Dr.Brooks patients done for exercise and stretngtening during that first year? If this post goes better somehwere else, please feel free to move it - this section seems to get the most action so I thought I'd start here.

hernanu

Re: Any Dr.Brooks patients? - Exercises?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2013, 09:18:28 AM »
Hi Pat, I'm not a Dr. Brooks patient, so stayed off this, but there are some here, I'm sure they'll get to you.

I'd talk to him or his office and tell them about your situation; how this is preventing you from exercising. What is the issue with your knee? Maybe some physical therapy, where they could address your knee would help overall and get you on track for recovery.

The bicycle for me was the first real machine I was put on (at about four weeks) and without any resistance, just a gentle motion, it helped both ROM and just getting the muscles moving.

My first step would be to talk to the surgeon and come up with a strategy, sounds like you're ready to attack this.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

fenceman

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2013, 03:45:38 PM »
I used light knee extensions, bicycling, and static martial arts stances like a horse stance to strengthen my legs without the back and forth repetitive movement of the hip joint like swats and leg presses. 

Phil said these were fine for ME, but I would check with the Dr. to make sure your situation is not any different.  Good luck.
L-BHR - Aug 2008 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Main Campus
R-BHR - Dec 2012 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Euclid Hospital
L-BHR Revision Nov 2017 - Dr. Brooks Euclid

Jaks111

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2013, 04:48:31 PM »
Have you tried gentle swimming it has really worked for me but no breast stroke legs I swim every other day a minimum of 50 lengths mainly backstroke then go in the jacuzzi it's great, as I'm off my crutches I can't walk long distances.
Ps the water is great as you can tread water stretch and walk through the water, at the moment being in the water is the only way I feel I'm normal but I feel it has really helped me.
Good luck
Jacki

patm

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2013, 08:57:01 AM »
I hadn't thought of swimming - not any place to do it around here , but we have a pond that we  swim in - I obviously didn't swim in the pond after my surgery, and can't now because of cold weather - could go the the local college - not handy, but it's something to do. Interestingly enough, before my surgery my hip hated swimming - everyone always thinks it can be a gentle, work at your own pace exercises, but my torn labrum did not like it at all - I think it should be fine now, and OK for my knee. My left knee is pretty much shot and needs a replacment. When I was off work, using crutches and on pain meds for my hip, my knee felt much better and I could actually make the revolutions on a bike, but now that my hip is better, my knee is worse. And I just developed a new wrinkle this weekend - LOUD SQEEKING! Almost every step results in a very audible squeeky noise - like I need oiling. No pain, but worrisome. Calling Phil today.

fenceman

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2013, 09:04:29 AM »
Many have notice a connection between squeaking and dehydration.  Make sure you drink plenty of fluids.  I have not had an audible sound from my hips yet but occasionally one will feel a rough movement in the hip as I bend over.  I usually repeat the move and it goes away.
L-BHR - Aug 2008 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Main Campus
R-BHR - Dec 2012 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Euclid Hospital
L-BHR Revision Nov 2017 - Dr. Brooks Euclid

bestbob

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2013, 02:42:21 PM »
Hi Patm, I am a Dr. Brooks patient, and have been told pretty much the same. I am 5 months post op, and do the recommended exercises, including straight leg lift/bicyclng. The only weight bearing exercise on my hip is, back against the wall with feet about 1 foot out. Then do squats about 1/4 of the way down. My only pain is on the right knee (operated side) when weight bearing more than the normal walking, and I am doing some additional exercises to strengthen the muscles around it. It does seem to be getting better. Agree on the prior post about dehydration, other people have mentioned that it happens.

Good luck with your left knee, and hopefully that doesn't interfere with your recovery.

Bob
RBHR June 18, 2013, Euclid General Ohio, Dr. Brooks

Manofword

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2013, 10:30:28 PM »
I am a Dr. Brooks patient. Just shy of 1yr post op. I was on a stationary bike 3 days post op for ROM exercise and was in the pool doing laps freestyle and riding outside on my bike 6 weeks post op. I was fairly aggressive with my training but did zero squats. I did do the squat machine w/o any weight for ROM only trying to get my knee to my shoulder.  I would get in the hot tub, work my hip and massage my incision to break up the scar tissue. Dr. Brooks will not "fudge" on the recovery protocol. I tried everything and I am a triathlete. I just did what my body told me I could do and was cautiously aggressive. Stress and rest. I was running about 4 months post op with a total front strike so as not to jar the hip joint. Am playing racquetball now very aggressively!
Phil. 4:13  -  RBHR Dr. Brooks 11-28-12 Euclid Hospital/Cleve. Clinic (48/56) (no more pain!)

jef945

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2013, 08:37:45 AM »
I'm 9 months post operation with Dr. Brooks.  My hip is getting stronger everyday.  As someone replied in another post, I place an inflatable  ball against the wall and stand about 2 feet away with the ball between my backside and the wall. From there I squat to almost 90 degrees and hold that position.  Start at 30 seconds and then increase the time from there.  You will feel the burn in your thighs.  I try to do 4 sets a few times a week.  The stationary bike was good for me also.  I also use the elliptical and have began using the rowing machine.  I don't crank it up to much on the rower, but I feel no negative effects on the hip afterward.  I am only doing 2000 meters twice a week at this time. 

I do have a question for others out there.  When sitting sometimes I jiggle my leg and notice a little clunk in the hip.  It doesn't hurt, just feels a little different.  Is this something that goes away or just one of things you live with. 

Jerry

hernanu

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2013, 11:36:37 PM »
I'm 9 months post operation with Dr. Brooks.  My hip is getting stronger everyday.  As someone replied in another post, I place an inflatable  ball against the wall and stand about 2 feet away with the ball between my backside and the wall. From there I squat to almost 90 degrees and hold that position.  Start at 30 seconds and then increase the time from there.  You will feel the burn in your thighs.  I try to do 4 sets a few times a week.  The stationary bike was good for me also.  I also use the elliptical and have began using the rowing machine.  I don't crank it up to much on the rower, but I feel no negative effects on the hip afterward.  I am only doing 2000 meters twice a week at this time. 

I do have a question for others out there.  When sitting sometimes I jiggle my leg and notice a little clunk in the hip.  It doesn't hurt, just feels a little different.  Is this something that goes away or just one of things you live with. 

Jerry

Jerry, that's the (not quite so) dread clunking. It's tied to changes done during the surgery, from soft tissue readjusting.  It goes away as the hip gets stronger, I still get some every now and then, but it is rare.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat