+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Any Suggestions for Long Car Trip Comfortability-11 Weeks Post Op  (Read 12195 times)

Reno

Hi All-

I am traveling over the Thanksgiving holiday and I am dreading the 9 hour car trip. So, I was wondering if there is a particular type of pillow, seat insert, etc., that I can use to ease the discomfort. I am prepared to stop at least every few hours, but I have trouble sitting down now for any length of time. My butt hurts and I have muscle spasms when I lay down... 

Any suggestions?
Thanks much.

obxpelican

Re: Any Suggestions for Long Car Trip Comfortability-11 Weeks Post Op
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2013, 05:15:38 PM »
Find some memory foam type pillows.

For sure get out every so often as you are really likely to get stiff.

Chuck

Hi All-

I am traveling over the Thanksgiving holiday and I am dreading the 9 hour car trip. So, I was wondering if there is a particular type of pillow, seat insert, etc., that I can use to ease the discomfort. I am prepared to stop at least every few hours, but I have trouble sitting down now for any length of time. My butt hurts and I have muscle spasms when I lay down... 

Any suggestions?
Thanks much.
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

hernanu

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2013, 09:09:28 PM »
Hi Reno,

One thing that helped me was my handy dandy flat ice pack (tm)...  ::)

• Take a hand towel, wet it, wring it so it's half wet.
  • Fold it so it can be inserted flat into a zip lock plastic bag
  • Put that into the freezer (usually takes about 20 minutes)
  • Once on the road, slip that under you on the hip, it's flat so no discomfort

I usually was comfortable for about ten or fifteen minutes afterwards. So it gives about 30 minutes or so of comfort.

If you have nine hours, you could freeze several of these, put them in a small ice chest, use as needed.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Reno

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2013, 05:37:03 PM »
Hi Hern and Chuck-

I knew I could count on you, Hern, to offer a great solution!  And, Chuck, indeed the memory foam sounds like a plan!  I will try both suggestions for my trip.

Thanks Guys.

Some Dude

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2013, 01:25:36 AM »
I drove 8 hours in a truck on the 4th day after surgery, drugs buddy take lots and lots of drugs!
Just kidding, don't do that. You didn't say if your the driver or the passenger ? If your driving I guess your pretty limited. If you're not try putting some blankets and pillows in front of the front seat to help elevate your legs and take some weight off your butt cheeks. I like the ice idea, a little 3" x 6" piece of dry ice in the bottom of your cooler will keep ice cubes rock hard all day. Don't forget to over eat and sleep for 10 hours after the drive  ;D 

Reno

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2013, 05:47:20 PM »
Hey, Some Dude-

Sounds like a plan. I am not the driver and I just might take a pain pill (which I have not taken since 6 weeks post-op) at the outset of the trip. And, I will load up on pillows and blankies. I will need to investigate where to find dry ice...

Thanks mucho!

Some Dude

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2013, 02:35:15 AM »
Hey, Some Dude-

Sounds like a plan. I am not the driver and I just might take a pain pill (which I have not taken since 6 weeks post-op) at the outset of the trip. And, I will load up on pillows and blankies. I will need to investigate where to find dry ice...

Thanks mucho!

I think most markets have dry ice, you just have to ask for it. Don't touch it with your bare hands !  We found out the hard way it will also freeze beers and sodas, just so you know  8) 

Reno

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2013, 08:32:54 PM »
Hi, Some Dude-

Good to know about the dry ice...  :-)  I feel prepared, given all of you guys' suggestions!  I'll let you know if I survive. OMG! I have a return trip in about six days...  :-(

Take care!

Some Dude

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2013, 09:05:40 PM »
Hi, Some Dude-

Good to know about the dry ice...  :-)  I feel prepared, given all of you guys' suggestions!  I'll let you know if I survive. OMG! I have a return trip in about six days...  :-(

Take care!

Well ? You alive Mon ?

Reno

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2013, 07:25:11 PM »
Happy Turkey Day!

Well, I made to my destination and I am indeed, still alive! Now I just have to get home.  :-)

Take care!

Some Dude

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2013, 01:05:51 AM »
Happy Turkey Day!

Well, I made to my destination and I am indeed, still alive! Now I just have to get home.  :-)

Take care!

Well.....

Did you make it back ?  :o    Hope your trip home went well  8)

Reno

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2013, 03:13:33 PM »
Yes! I did make it back home, without any lasting effects. And, this coming Monday I will be 4 months post-op. Hurray. Currently my only complaint (not really a complaint) is these darn muscle spasms I still get every day and especially at night when I lay down...  :-(   A few short months ago it was hard to believe down our fellow Hippies were saying about things getting better over time. Now I understand! And, I am glad that I am at this point in my recovery. Although my stamina is still somewhat lacking and I feel worn out after about 3 hours of shopping.  :-)

How are you doing, Some Dude?

Some Dude

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2013, 03:15:58 AM »
Yes! I did make it back home, without any lasting effects. And, this coming Monday I will be 4 months post-op. Hurray. Currently my only complaint (not really a complaint) is these darn muscle spasms I still get every day and especially at night when I lay down...  :-(   A few short months ago it was hard to believe down our fellow Hippies were saying about things getting better over time. Now I understand! And, I am glad that I am at this point in my recovery. Although my stamina is still somewhat lacking and I feel worn out after about 3 hours of shopping.  :-)

How are you doing, Some Dude?
  8)

Good, very happy so far. 10 weeks and I'm getting around quite well with no crutches or cane  8)

Reno

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2013, 07:09:56 PM »
Hey Some Dude-

I am happy to hear that you are doing so well. Keep up the good work and keep me posted!

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat