+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: When does the swelling abate?  (Read 1939 times)

lgbran

When does the swelling abate?
« on: November 22, 2013, 06:05:05 PM »
Here I am 12 days post op. It's hard to believe I've been home for a week. The recovery thus far has been better then what I imagined. How long before the swelling goes down. Doing all the excercises, icing regularly and resting up. My hamstring muscle and surrounds just seem to be hanging there. My back pain and osteo pain disappeared right after the op. Taking it as easy as I can. I know if my left hip needs resurfacing I certainly will not wait as long to have the surgery if that's the case. Very pleased and can't wait to take the bandages off in 7 days (self dissolving stitches). I plan to ease the ice off come mondAy ( 14 days post surgery) and get in touch with a physio to eAse myself off the crutches between 4 to  6 weeks. Trying to take 1 day at a time

RBHR 11/11/13 by Stephen McMahon @
The Avenue Hospital Melbourne Australia

Juno

Re: When does the swelling abate?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2013, 08:03:28 PM »
Most of my swelling was significantly decreased within 3 weeks. But I had residual swelling for about 6-7 weeks --- that was about the time I was able to fit I to my pants comfortably.

I iced well into the 4th week post op.

Glad you are feeling well!
Right resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 7/11/13
Left resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 12/11/13

Lauren Lee

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2013, 10:00:04 PM »
The worst swelling was from about the 10 day mark and then it very gradually diminished. I agree with Juno. Probably by 5-6 weeks my shoes fit comfortably and I could wear a pair of socks without my ankles getting constricted. My incision still swells. When I wake up it is flat and I can barely see it. By the end of the day it is red and itchy again. (I have sensitivity to the disolvable stiches which are...still disolving). Happy to hear you are doing well.
RBHR on June 17, 2013

lgbran

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2013, 01:01:18 AM »
Thank you both for your responses. Patience is not my best virtue. Will continue to ice regularly. Just have to bide my time and take it one day at a time. Like everything it's not going to happen overnight. I'm so glad to be in recovery mode though. Take it easy As well and all the best in your ongoing recovery. Thankyou and keep on posting. It's  no reassuring to get answers , advice here:)
RBHR 11/11/13 by Stephen McMahon @
The Avenue Hospital Melbourne Australia

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Today at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
Yesterday at 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM