+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: The long road back  (Read 8736 times)

Dannywayoflife

The long road back
« on: November 24, 2013, 06:06:17 AM »
Just started the long road back to full on competition! I took bronze in a county judo comp :) was the lightest in class and lowest grade. Was certainly the only bionic fighter in the comp.
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: The long road back
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2013, 09:02:20 AM »
Congratulations!  Keep us updated as you journey on!   Good Luck.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2013, 10:34:09 AM »
Thanks Pat! I have a crazy idea in mind but it will depend on the rest of my body. I had my 2 year check the other week and the bhr is great but my other hip ain't so good. I've lost some rom and have some groin pain. There was little evidence on the X-rays of OA but there wasn't last time. So I'm having some cortisone injections done hopefully this will eleavitate the symptoms.

Danny
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

hernanu

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2013, 01:11:32 PM »
Great result on the competition, Danny. Light on weight and rank and still did that well? Nice.

I'm glad you're doing so well after a rough start. How's the ROM on that hip? Does the other side feel like it's starting to hurt?
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2013, 01:25:01 PM »
I felt stronger than them all if I'm honest. The only losses I got were being pinned, and in my mind you don't win a fight by pinning some one!

The other hip has lost a few degrees of rom in the flexion towards the chest. And internal rotation. Sometimes it really hurts most of the time it only hurts when I flex it. Putting my socks on sometimes hurts quite a bit and tying my shoe laces is the same. At least if it does go bad fast this time I have private medical insurance so I can just pretty much phone up mr Treacy'steam office and get booked in when the time comes :) but at present I figure its good for a couple of years yet
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

evant

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2013, 02:38:39 PM »
Well done Danny.

Sorry that your other hip is causing concern - hope the cortisone injections help.

Also hope all those football fans are behaving themselves.
rbhr 3 january 2013
mr ronan treacy
royal orthopaedic hospital, birmingham, england

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2013, 03:39:54 PM »
Thanks Nick ;)

Work is ok no real dramas with any fans as yet! Hopefully Brighton might make the premiership soon :)
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

HippyDogwood

The long road back
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2013, 04:10:31 PM »
Danny

Thanks for posting - for us "non-hippies" it is great to hear from people who are getting a good outcome as it feels like there are quite a few posting issues on here at the moment. I guess it's the old adage that people with negative outcomes feel the need to tell others about it more than those that get a good outcome.

Don't know if you saw the various articles in the UK papers over the past few weeks about how Craig Revell whatshisname of Strictly Comes Dancing had his hip resurfaced which came across quite positively

Best wishes

David

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2013, 04:21:52 PM »
Hi David yes I read some of the stuff about him. Hope it works out great for him!

It does really frustrate me that this procedure it maligned by bad press needlessly. The key is top surgery using a proven well designed device in an appropriate patient. The issues have been mainly poor surgery and poor device designs. The bhr is well designed and when put in right works great!

What stage are you at yourself David?
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

HippyDogwood

The long road back
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2013, 05:27:06 PM »

What stage are you at yourself David?

Danny

I last saw Mr Latham a few months back and he thought that despite me being a stoic, I'd be lucky to get more than one winter out of it. To be honest the FAI is the bigger issue in that it makes sitting in cramped conditions unpleasant (i'm 6/3 and 15+ stone) and I get payback from golf and other activities. Unfortunately I have FAI / OA both hips, so medium term prognosis not good but the FAI has far more impact on the left hip through golf as it gets all the momentum of the follow through, so have successfully fractured the left socket but the right just gives the occasional groin pain.

I'm trying to get fitter at the moment to be in good shape for recovery purposes and rather hoping for one of those defining moments to tip the balance from something that I can put up with / manage around because I do get impacted by all the negative press, to having to make a decision because I can't carry on. I figured that if I exercise harder that may help it on its way and currently thinking next November would be a reasonable fit into commitments.

I was quite affected by one of the stories here the other day when somebody attributed Dr Gross as saying that the reason they were struggling so much with the incision wound was because they didn't have that much pain before the op. That didn't sound great to me and another example of how I just get my head straight on things and another negative comes along.

Glad it has worked out for you

Best wishes
David

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2013, 12:59:08 AM »
Honestly David Mr Latham is an excellent surgeon you will have NOTHING to worry about when you decide to got ahead.

The recover is and can be hard but its worth it! ;)
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat