+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: The Best Pre-op exercises  (Read 2212 times)

Beth

The Best Pre-op exercises
« on: November 26, 2013, 07:51:04 PM »
Hi everyone. I am speechless. I stumbled on this website researching options for my hip pain. You are all amazing. I am thrilled (well,kinda) to be here!
I have just turned 50. I have had stiffness, esp in the morning or after sitting for long periods of time for years. 2010- everything went downhill. Pain made it impossible to run (I am a recreational runner. 5k's  No marathons) Ended up being diagnosed in 1/2012 with FAI and bilateral labral tears. Had hip arthroscope surgery/labral repair by Dr Rosneck at the Cleveland Clinic. R-5/14/12 L-8/27/12. Dr Rosneck identified grade 4 arthritis in the right hip and lesser arthritis in the left. Interesting my hip xrays have shown bone spurs but the spacing has remained essentially normal. Let me say folks, this surgery was no picnic. I was faithful with my prescribed rehab and PT and used a AlterG treadmill to rehab. (I was told if I could run without pain, running was ok) I was running 30 min at 78% of my body weight when in February of this year I started to have so much pain doing anything I was advised to stop ALL exercise for 2-6 months. MRI 8/12 shows another tear. Xray shows more osteophytes/bone spurs.
Let me jump to my question. I have been referred to Dr Brooks to discuss hip resurfacing.
What exercises would be beneficial PRE-OP to improve the post-op experience?
Thank you for your input.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 08:47:04 PM by Beth »
2/17/2014 RBHR Dr Brooks Cleveland Clinic
52mm cup  46mm head
LBHR planned for 6/19/2015: CANCELLED

oldsoccerplayer

Re: The Best Pre-op exercises
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2013, 08:10:17 AM »
What exercises would be beneficial PRE-OP to improve the post-op experience?
I would say whatever works for you. My guess is that anything that has impact on the hip is too painful. I swam regularly and others have done cycling. I really think that keeping the leg muscle strength up pre-op really pays dividends later.
BioMet Left Hip Resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 07/2013

Arrojo

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2013, 01:34:48 PM »
I trained for my surgery like it was a goal race.  Lots of core work - situps, pushups, pullups, squats.  Lots of cycling and walking and swimming.  You really need a lot of upper body strength immdeiately after surgery to help get yourself in and out of bed.
Dr. Su
RBHR 4/9/12

whyme

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2013, 03:14:22 PM »
For me the last few months were difficult, as walking was pretty bad. Also stopped cycling, just kept swimming one or two days a week. Even some core exercises (planks etc) would have been difficult to do for me (but I didn't even try as I had no motivation for them). Still, at surgery time I was probably in better shape than most sedentary people anyway, given my sporting history. If that's your case, then do not worry too much.

I don't regret not having done more, as things have gone very well after surgery so far.
But, if I had to go through it again, I'd probably do some core and upper body exercises, that would help with the crutches, in and out of bed etc.
Left hip resurfacing (Conserve Plus) 2013-09-04
Dr. De Smet

Lauren Lee

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2013, 10:20:57 PM »
I was having PT before surgery (to try to avoid surgery) and then once I made the decision for surgery,  went to upper body, knee, and core strengthening.
I "stumbled" upon this site as well and it made all the difference! Welcome!
RBHR on June 17, 2013

Sandspinner

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2013, 03:43:30 PM »
I had the same attitude as Arrojo and "trained" for my surgery.  As stated core exercises and legs are important but dont skip upper body strength which you'll depend on right after surgery.  One favorite ex. was to lie on ones side and do lateral leg lifts as best you can.  I also used the abduction and adduction machine at my gym, you can also use exercise bands as well.  Lots of luck.
Dr. Su
RBHR 2/10, LBHR 1/14

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat