+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: It's getting tougher 2.5 weeks after the HR  (Read 4045 times)

lgbran

It's getting tougher 2.5 weeks after the HR
« on: November 27, 2013, 04:55:39 AM »
Had surgery on the 11/11/13. Physically all is well. Doing all the stretches and walking 400 metres plus a day. What I hadn't prepared for is the inactivity it is really giving me the irate a. I'm reading, keeping myself occupied but it's so hard to relax. I am still on 2 crutches, remaining positive and pain free but physically would want to do much much more but I can't. I'm hesitant to walk too much at this stage as I want the body to heal. Any hints to get through this hurdle? Just needed to vent. It's hard from doing lots , to less to practically nothing. Has anyone tried any do the natural relaxing herbal remedies? Sure I will wake up tomorow with a different approach
Cheers

RBHR 11/11/13 by Stephen McMahon @
The Avenue Hospital Melbourne Australia

Miguelito

Re: It's getting tougher 2.5 weeks after the HR
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2013, 07:54:21 AM »
Not much in the way of advice, just wanted to commiserate.

Maybe you could do (very)  light dumbbell curls, presses, raises for your arms/shoulders. On your back they become chest exercises. Shrugs in a chair. I am a fan of those hand-grippers. They work great for your fore-arms.

I did none of those things after my surgery last year, but I'm now honor bound to at least consider doing so for my next hip (spring, maybe).

Also, I know this is not what you are looking for, but I am a big fan of mindless series television to pass the hours/days. Hour long dramas, not half-hour sitcoms. I liked to fill big-blocks of time.  For me it was the Sopranos and the Sons of Anarchy (and no, I'm not proud). I have heard good things about The Wire. If you haven't seen Breaking Bad I can't recommend it highly enough. Just don't feel obligated to watch every episode when it bogs down in the lab in season two or three and they are chasing flies. You can skip some of that season.

Good luck!

Mike
RHR April 2012.
LHR March 2014.

Both Biomet Magnum/Recap 54/48, by Dr. Thomas Gross.

obxpelican

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2013, 02:46:02 PM »
Did your doctor tell you that you were not allowed to "walk too much".

Many doctors advise walking when you can, check with your doctor although perhaps I missed something in your posts where your doc said no weight bearing.

By two weeks many of us were walking without any aids.

Chuck

Had surgery on the 11/11/13. Physically all is well. Doing all the stretches and walking 400 metres plus a day. What I hadn't prepared for is the inactivity it is really giving me the irate a. I'm reading, keeping myself occupied but it's so hard to relax. I am still on 2 crutches, remaining positive and pain free but physically would want to do much much more but I can't. I'm hesitant to walk too much at this stage as I want the body to heal. Any hints to get through this hurdle? Just needed to vent. It's hard from doing lots , to less to practically nothing. Has anyone tried any do the natural relaxing herbal remedies? Sure I will wake up tomorow with a different approach
Cheers
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

whyme

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2013, 03:03:36 PM »
Hi, after 2 weeks I was walking 3-4 times a day, surely a few km in total.
As Chuck says, if you have no explicit restrictions about weight bearing, walking is "the" exercise most recommended. Of course, you must build up gradually, very slowly, and always keep check on how things feel right after and the next day.
I found more comfortable standing than sitting for the first few weeks, so probably that's why I managed to walk a lot!
I took every opportunity to go out to the grocery shop and buy the milk/bread, little things. A trip to the post office to send a letter. Things like that.

It's true that between 2-4 weeks post-op there is a 'dip' for some (that was my case), one because the initial overdose of drugs wears out and you feel more 'things', two because you might lose patience when realizing there is still a long way to go and you must keep motivation high, three because you are a bit tired (sleeping is not easy), four you might miss your job (not my case!), five ...
Left hip resurfacing (Conserve Plus) 2013-09-04
Dr. De Smet

hernanu

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2013, 03:55:44 PM »
Like all have said, I was walking as much as I could. I did 4 times per day, usually about 1/2 mile each time.

So about a total of 2 miles per day... after about two weeks. The first couple of weeks I would just push it as far as I could (and return, I live alone).

For me, I would walk as much as I could and get up on my feet insided the house as well.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

keepmovin

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2013, 04:20:43 PM »
Hi Len,
Ditto to all the above comments! :)

Having been there before, I knew boredom was one of those nasty side effects  post surgery.  I lined up some small projects that I would be capable of starting and finishing just so I felt like I accomplished something each day - besides the healing.  I had no restrictions, so when I felt ready, I would push myself further each day.  By two weeks, I was driving and once I could do that, I felt liberated!  Like, Whyme, would do just a little shopping of some sort each day just to get out.  I did walk a lot, worked on upper body workouts, read a lot as well.

This is when a lot of us begin to loose patience 2-3 weeks, so it's OK to vent!  It gets better, really!

I'm a bilateral now and hope I don't have to go through this again!  If I do, hopefully I will be much older and by then, boredom won't be such an issue! ;)

Hang in there!
LBHR - HSS, Dr. Su, 4/11/2011
RBHR - HSS, Dr. Su,  10/17/2013

lgbran

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2013, 05:16:03 PM »
Thanks folks
For someone who is mentally, physically always on the go this has been an adjustment.My surgeon advised 4-6 weeks on crutches, before driving. Will email to ask about walking distances.just one of those dips in the road. Last night I found a great puzzle app which whittled away a few hours. Feeling heaps better today:)
Thanks

Lauren Lee

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2013, 10:13:11 PM »
I mastered the art of the afternoon nap. I made some great meals (when I am working I just don't have the time), I did upper body work and as much walking as I could. Because of the restrictions everything just seemed to take so much longer and so much more effort and it wore me out some days. I realized it was what it was and I let myself get a little lazy...yes I did...and I loved every minute of it.
RBHR on June 17, 2013

lgbran

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2013, 02:02:37 AM »
Taking it all on board and trying to be kind to myself. Off to the physio next week , will do some light weights. Had a better day overall. Working through it like all of you have done.:)

mike1966

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2013, 07:26:34 AM »
Hi Len,

Feeling your frustration from across Bass Strait! Hard to remember exactly where I was at two and a half weeks but I think 3 to 4 short walks. If you have access to a local pool, the best thing I did was exercise in the water as soon as my wound allowed. I would also advise you not to rush off my crutches. Aim to walk well on them. Ice if you need to after walks. Helped me heaps. I did everything by the book, rushed nothing and I didn't have a single setback. At 20 months I can run gym, play tennis, do as I like and I'm still improving. It's a long process but worth taking it steady. If you like the cricket, settle back and watch Mitchell Johnson wreck the poms again next week. Sorry English Hippy's it's been while for us! :)
LBHR 2nd April 2012 Dr Van Winden

Miguelito

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2013, 07:42:39 AM »
I am glad to hear things are better.

Just wanted to note that I did not feel capable of walking quite the distances some of the people here were. My memory is a little hazy, but at 2-1/2 weeks I think I would go out for either one or two walks daily, maybe 150-200 yards out and then back.

I recognize that most doctors would probably say that there was nothing wrong with walking the greater distances that others appear to have done, I just didn't have it in me. I just don't want you to feel that you have to be walking more than you are if you are not up for it. I think there is a pretty wide spectrum of recovery experiences.

Mike
« Last Edit: November 28, 2013, 09:38:46 PM by Miguelito »
RHR April 2012.
LHR March 2014.

Both Biomet Magnum/Recap 54/48, by Dr. Thomas Gross.

Granton

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2013, 07:54:33 AM »
If you like the cricket, settle back and watch Mitchell Johnson wreck the poms again next week. Sorry English Hippy's it's been while for us! :)

You have no idea what suffering is! We suffered for decades, for you it's a couple of seasons. :-)

I will be at the SCG for a couple of days of the 5th test. Hope things are a bit more competitive by then.

David
David
Rt BHR Nov 1999
Lt BHR Oct 2013
Mr D McMinn

whyme

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2013, 08:10:15 PM »
I guess we are all different ... While I was off work, I had planned to do a lot of things (such as study, play the guitar...) as I expected to have plenty of time in my hands. But the fact was that between walks (2-3/day), prescribed hip exercises (x2 times/day), the afternoon nap (some days), and the longer time it took to do most daily stuff, I found no time left and got really frustrated at times for not being able to do those things... So I didn't get bored!
Left hip resurfacing (Conserve Plus) 2013-09-04
Dr. De Smet

lgbran

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2013, 11:57:35 PM »
Hello  folks
Oh yes haven't sat down and watched a test match in years. Will sit back and enjoy. Daft weather at  the moment one day 32 degrees and the next 18 degrees. In the space of 3 days walking from 200 metres  to 350 metres 2-3 times a day. Bandages off tomorow so next week  physio and pool planned. Small steps, no rush and all good. That's fantastic where you are at and still improving. I am in no hurry to ditch the crutches.  C'mon Aussie C'mon c'mon.

Yeah my initial post was at a flat moment, so most of it has been better then what I expected. Like a lot here used to be an excercise junkie. So now sits about taking it nice and slow, listening to my body and taking time out to do a few things that I haven't done for Years. Off now to do more stretches, hydrate followed by a short walk:)

mike1966

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2013, 06:44:17 AM »
If you like the cricket, settle back and watch Mitchell Johnson wreck the poms again next week. Sorry English Hippy's it's been while for us! :)

You have no idea what suffering is! We suffered for decades, for you it's a couple of seasons. :-)

I will be at the SCG for a couple of days of the 5th test. Hope things are a bit more competitive by then.

David

Fair enough too David :) Must say that we were poor winners with Warner having too much to say after the match. Apologies for that. Len may be well enough to take the field by the SCG test :) Are you in the Barmy Army, David? :)
LBHR 2nd April 2012 Dr Van Winden

Granton

« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2013, 01:09:48 PM »
Are you in the Barmy Army, David? :)

Noooo! I hope not to be sitting too near them. It can get pretty wearing for a full day.

My daughter lives in Sydney, so we go there most years. She has got us tickets for two days of the test and one of the ODIs. Also driving down the coast road to Melbourne with the some friends in late January. Looking forward to it.
David
Rt BHR Nov 1999
Lt BHR Oct 2013
Mr D McMinn

lgbran

« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2013, 09:33:41 PM »
Just back from the local GP. Had a reaction to the  alastopast where the drip went in. Given some ointment.
Removed the waterproof bandages over the wound . Looks good.
Monday marks 3 weeks since surgery. Booked in to physio with a view of commencing some hydrotherapy. Local GP also advised to contact surgeon in terms of protocol in regards to walking distances with crutches.Will walk 3 x300 400 metres today. Just gets tight in a pleasant way outside of thigh (It Band I think).
Cheers
Len

hernanu

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2013, 08:42:53 AM »
Sounds about right to me (the walking that is). Just pay attention to your body and let it guide you.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

luann again

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2013, 12:52:16 PM »
I feel your pain! I am very active, too, and felt the same way when I had my hip done. By 10 days ( with Drs permission) I was riding my recumbent stationary bike and walking on 2 crutches until I was exhausted! That helped a lot! Ask your Dr what you are cleared for exercise wise.
Good luck! It's all worth it in the end. Lu
Dr. Sparling WA Wright C+ 2010 right hip, petite female done at age 45

lgbran

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2013, 07:27:04 PM »
Thanks Lu,
30 degrees here today and just had a magic walk. Emailed dr to ascertain how far I can walk with 2 crutches. Getting some prescription meds to aid sleep. All good though . Can't wait to sleep on my side. It's hard to believe it's been 3 weeks since surgery.
 Down the track really looking forward to getting back into my road cycling, swimming and just purchased some trekking poles to do lots of walking.
As much as I would like to run long distance again. It's been 10 Years since I last belted out the long distances. Long distance walking sounds like a far better option.
One step at a time

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz