+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: 9 weeks post op  (Read 2609 times)

BAM

9 weeks post op
« on: December 04, 2013, 11:48:41 PM »
... and I almost feel guilty posting!  I have NO issues, NO pain, NO clunking, etc.  I was on the Dr. Gross slow recovery plan (6 wks 10% weight bearing) and behaved myself.  I am 100% weight bearing now, walk all over the place, wear 3" heels for work as needed, swim 5 days a week including a Masters Swim program (usually 4000 yards), yoga and even did a little snowshoeing last weekend.  Moving hay and grain for my horses, shoveling a bit of snow and getting back into the field work my job requires, including flying in small planes.  Next week I start back into indoor bike / endurance classes. 

Swelling around the incision is finally gone, muscle strains from learning to walk again normally are gone and overall am more than pleased with progress.  I did a 5 day work trip business conference last week and had no trouble moving around the convention center and hotel. 

I will credit getting into REALLY good shape pre-op, taking massive doses of Vitamin D to help healing (12,000 - 15,000 IU/day and yes those are three zeros) and cold laser treatments, plus swimming.  I diligently do all of Dr. Gross' exercises and still focus on how I walk and not to over-extend the hip joint. 

If anyone has specific questions or wants more information, please ask!  Honestly I thought recovery would be harder and have more issues, so I'm pleasantly surprised (so far) it hasn't. 

HippyDogwood

Re: 9 weeks post op
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2013, 07:39:33 AM »
Great news BAM - all credit to you though for diligently doing all the right things

REM

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2013, 11:31:16 AM »
Hello, my first post as I am only 2weeks post op Left on 11/22 and right on 11/25 by Dr Gross.
I feel that I must be ahead of the curve. I am having no problems except some minor swelling in legs and ankles. This past Tuesday (eight days after right) I walked 1/4 mile twice. Have some muscle soreness so cut it back a littile yesterday. Did go out twice (with driver) yesterday to run errands, look at a job, the store and church supper. Today I plan to walk 5 times at 2 tenths each,
slight incline one direction. I find using a walker with wheels very helpful, I am fully weight bearing just use the walker for balance. Unlike post people I read about on here I live only about an hour from Dr. Gross.
left hip resurface Biomet Magnum 11/22/2013
right hip Biomet Magnum 11/25/2013 Dr Gross

Juno

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2013, 05:07:30 PM »
Awesome news! I'm so glad you are feeling great. Keep up the good work.
Right resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 7/11/13
Left resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 12/11/13

oldsoccerplayer

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2013, 10:41:21 AM »
No need for anyone to feel guilty about a quicker or easier than expected recovery, just a word of caution. At about 8 weeks post-op I was feeling great and started showing off (doing Knees Up Mother Brown - British Hippies will understand.) At my wife's prompting I called Dr. Gross' nurse and asked if it was OK to do anything  that didn't hurt. She made it very clear to me that this was *not* OK and that there are 3 limitations until the 6 month mark:
  • No extreme bending
    No lifting >50lbs. (leg lifts)
    No impact activities like jumping or running

I'm also finding that even keeping within those restrictions there are certain symptoms that come and go like soreness around and under the incision area, a pinching feeling in the lower  back after certain moves and various other aches and pains. My point is that as you start feeling better you get more adventurous in your activities and that can lead to discomfort that you didn't feel earlier on.
BioMet Left Hip Resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 07/2013

BAM

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2013, 10:28:38 PM »
REM - Wish I could have been doing that much early, good on you!  The damage in my socket was just too much and Dr. Gross broke the news to me the next morning I was on the slow recovery program.  It is what it is.

oldsoccerplayer -- I have had my share of muscles strains and realignments, but nothing really significant.  When I find a strain I just add that to the list of which muscles need extra stretching. 

Also no crossing legs at the knee for six months.  I'm behaving on everything else and knew about those limitations.  I was pleasantly surprised I can wear heels again with no issues.   Did a couple hours of snowshoeing today with my little bearpaws and trekking poles, awesome workout. 

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat