+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Greetings!, Happy Holiday Season!, 7-week check up  (Read 1902 times)

keepmovin

Greetings!, Happy Holiday Season!, 7-week check up
« on: December 10, 2013, 03:49:31 PM »
Greetings!
I went for my 7-week checkup with my Dr. last week and he was impressed with my recovery.  I'm a little late in posting this because after my visit that day, came home with a sudden, strange virus that hit me like a rock!  I wonder if our immune systems are a bit compromised for some time after surgery-Ugh!  Anyway, he felt I was way ahead with my progress, gave me the all clear to proceed with the next phase of exercises, and to continue listening to my body for instructions as to what it can and can't do.  Dr. Su does not have a one size fits all protocol that all should follow after surgery.  He will give you the basic set of first stage exercises to work on and if they can be performed comfortably and correctly, move onto the next phase.  He mentioned that all his patients have their own time clock and they should listen to that.

After surgery, I had permission to put full weight on the operated leg as soon as I felt comfortable to do so.  Even given broad range clearance and limited restrictions, I still followed precautions just to play it safe.

I have mild dysplasia and I was curious how the cup was able to fit properly around the acetabulum if my bone wasn't fully formed.  He explained that he had to build that part up so the cup would fit securely.  I think this is why we choose the best surgeons we can find to perform this surgery.  I wonder if a less than qualified surgeon would take the time or have the skill to do this.

Before surgery, I worked very hard to keep my muscle tone strong and bone quality healthy.  I exercised a lot, ate healthy (increased protein) and took my vitamins, especially Vitamin D and Calcium!  I believe this contributed to a quick recovery.

My first surgery, I was not as prepared physically and hence, my recovery was a lot slower.

Dr. Su’s only restrictions is to refrain from running, jumping or carrying anything over 50 lbs for 6 months.  He actually told me 30 lbs…maybe because of my age, gender, or simply I shouldn't be carrying 50 lbs no matter what! ::)

We discussed moving onto outside physical therapy and the possibility that I may not need it at all.  Because I went through this once before, I know what I need to begin doing.  I have begun the strengthening exercises and now I feel pain – good pain!  I started working on those “clamshell” exercises and simply can't do it!  Hip Abduction – (side Lying) – negative! :-\

So, even though my first two months have been smooth and quick, I can see the next few months will be rocky and slow!  My own time clock alerting me to be patient but...
...Keepmovin! :D

LBHR - HSS, Dr. Su, 4/11/2011
RBHR - HSS, Dr. Su,  10/17/2013

Beth

Re: Greetings!, Happy Holiday Season!, 7-week check up
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2013, 11:08:05 PM »
Keepmovin,
Thank you for your supportive post and it's great to hear that you are doing well in your recovery.
Beth
2/17/2014 RBHR Dr Brooks Cleveland Clinic
52mm cup  46mm head
LBHR planned for 6/19/2015: CANCELLED

lgbran

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2013, 12:28:01 AM »
Great to hear Keepmoving,
All the best to you in your ongoing recovery. I've got my 6 week phone hookup with my surgeon on the 19th. Bit like you I am being very very cautious and looking forward to having some restrictions removed. The time is flying by- the first 2.5 weeks weren't much fun. Keep n moving and posting
Cheers
RBHR 11/11/13 by Stephen McMahon @
The Avenue Hospital Melbourne Australia

whyme

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2013, 06:58:25 AM »
I started working on those “clamshell” exercises and simply can't do it!  Hip Abduction –
(side Lying) – negative!

I'm 14 weeks post op. My physio introduced the 'clamshell' exercise after the 8 weeks mark (just checked my notes) and at first I could not raise the knee more than 5 inches, and that with a bit of pain as well... I even questioned myself if I should stop it because of the clear discomfort ("listen to your body"), but it gradually improved, very slowly. Just for reference, now I do 3x15, lifting almost to normal range but it's still difficult and I need to focus to get it done (slowly, with some discomfort at times).
Regarding hip abduction side lying, it was pretty much the same. At 6-7 weeks I just couldn't even raise 1 inch with the leg straight, so I had kind of given up. Then, suddenly one day (around the 8 weeks mark) I tried again and it lifted like if nothing had happened! Now I can do 3 x 10 reps with 1.5kg ankle weight, holding 5" each, no big deal.
So I guess it's normal progress, don't despair yet!
Left hip resurfacing (Conserve Plus) 2013-09-04
Dr. De Smet

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat