+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: 6 Week Checkup - Cleveland, Ohio  (Read 2729 times)

Staggerwing

6 Week Checkup - Cleveland, Ohio
« on: December 17, 2013, 10:00:12 PM »
Greetings!  Today was a big milestone for me!  I went back to see Dr. Brook's assistant, Phil, for my 6 week check up.  X rays were taken and I was taken back to an examination room.  They gave me the new exercise of laying on your good side and raising your bad leg straight up.  I'm to do this 30 reps, 3 times a day.  We'll see.  That might be a bit much at first.  This will help eliminate any limp. 
Phil went over the x rays with me.  My new hip is exactly where Dr. Brook's placed it 6 weeks ago.  Bone looked really good.  So, Phil took my crutches away and walked me a short distance down the hall.  My leg did not hurt but it sure felt weak.  He told me to look straight ahead, take nice big steps, swing my arms and walk with purpose.  Doing so greatly minimized my limp.  So I am off the crutches and ready to get on with it.  I feel confident I will over come the limp by faithfully doing the exercises and walking frequently. 
I couldn't help but feel some emotions well up as I walked to the car, carrying my crutches.  I've got a long way to go but couldn't be happier at this stage of the game.
LBHR, Dr. Brooks, Euclid, Ohio,  11/8/13

Beth

Re: 6 Week Checkup - Cleveland, Ohio
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2013, 11:24:19 PM »
So good to hear that your 6 week check up went well. Sounds like you are making great progress. Keep us updated.
Beth
2/17/2014 RBHR Dr Brooks Cleveland Clinic
52mm cup  46mm head
LBHR planned for 6/19/2015: CANCELLED

Juno

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2013, 11:51:48 AM »
Congratulations! There is nothing better than knowing you are truly in the way once those crutches/cane are gone. I'll bet that in about a weeks time you will be steady and strong in your gait. I am so happy for you!
Right resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 7/11/13
Left resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 12/11/13

Staggerwing

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2013, 03:27:32 PM »
Thank, Beth and Juno.  I actually went to work for 1/2 a day today. My job is primarily at a desk.  I took a cane with me just in case but I didn't use it.  Tired right now but feeling confident.  One of the biggest things for me is the mental aspect of knowing I won't hurt myself if I don't use the crutches. 

hernanu

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2013, 11:29:31 PM »
Sounds great. It's awesome to reach these milestones.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Dan L

• LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2013, 06:28:24 PM »
Congrats, the 6 week freedom was a huge deal for me also, same routine as you at Euclid with Phil, twice.  Just continue to follow the restrictions and get as much exercise as possible and listen to your body on limits.  I've found getting up from my desk for brief walks really helped alot.   Almost 2years from second one and doing really, really well.

Best regards,

Dan
LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012

Staggerwing

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2013, 09:46:44 AM »
Dan, thank you and it's great to hear you are two years after your second one and doing so well.  I'm excited about the future and have alot of painless, physical activity planned!

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat