+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Slow recovery  (Read 6725 times)

Jnick

Slow recovery
« on: December 20, 2013, 12:56:32 PM »
Just discovered this site a few days ago and finding lots of useful info. Anyway, I am one week post op. Due to the number and  placement of osteophytes my surgery lasted almost 4 hours. So lots of swelling and blood loss. Everyday is a little better but seems I have more groin and front quad weakness. While lying I still can't manage to raise the leg off the bed at all. Anyone else have something  similar?  Guess I didn't figure on my recovery being so slow. I'm 43 years old.

chuckm

Re: Slow recovery
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2013, 01:37:34 PM »
Jnick, hip resurfacing is MAJOR surgery. Pain and weakness trying to lift the leg is one of the temporary byproducts unique to this surgery. The tendon that is used to lift the leg runs right across the surgical site and the device. It will hurt for quite some time until it heals. It will take even longer if you aggravate it so just let it alone until you can lift it without pain. Mine took about six weeks to become pain free.

Chuckm
Left BHR 11/30/12
Hospital for Special Surgery
46 years old

hernanu

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2013, 04:51:11 PM »
Jnick - first welcome to the site, you're in the right place.

You are extremely early right now. I had the same issues for a bit. Everyone is different, but we were all in the same situation as you're in at the beginning.

As Chuck mentioned, this is major surgery. Some recover more quickly than others, but we are still talking months to a year. So be patient with this, be diligent with your exercises and all, but also realize that you're healing.

Not muscular healing, bone and implant healing in the beginning. It's not like pulling a muscle or any other type of athletic healing. The first six months in general are the time to be conservative.

We are all active in some way here, some athletically, others with demanding jobs. The main emphasis here is in healing within the first year. Some folks can go back to less demanding activities earlier, some have leaped ahead of others, but the bone healing is not something you want to rush.

So at one week, you sound like you're exactly where you should be.

Are you doing physical therapy, or did your surgeon suggest other types of exercises?
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Jnick

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2013, 08:38:55 PM »
Thanks for the reply hernanu. Yes I'm fortunate to have PT coming to my home for at least the next 3-4 days.  He's has showed me exercises to do and today has been the best so far. Still have significant swelling in the affected leg. And very sore deep ache in buttocks. May have come off pain meds too quickly also (half a pill so far today). Anyway thanks so much and I'm glad I found this site!
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 11:24:02 AM by Jnick »

Anna

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2013, 11:12:34 AM »
Welcome and congratulations on your surgery!!!  ;D

Like others have said, you are not healing slow at all. It takes time. I had a massive swollen thigh for a few months, buttock pain for a while and I couldn't lift my leg for a week or two after surgery. This is all normal so just sit back and relax. If you are like me, you will find it frustrating but its part of the recovery. Try not to over do it  :)
RTHR - 08/08/2013 -Mr johan witt, London

lgbran

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2013, 11:25:01 PM »
All the best with your recovery,
I'm almost 6 weeks post op. I struggled at first fir the first 2.5 weeks and then I turned the corner.
Leg swelled up and struggled to get comfortable but found solace, advice and lots of help here. Trust me it's gets better. I found it really really hard from being very active to basically sitting on my sore butt and doing very little. Have done a lot of comfort eating but you know what before you know it every day you make little gains and everyone here has been through it. I can't believe the difference each day. Week brings.The first few weeks Re tough, but with help here, taking my prescribed painkillers and other meds, rest and more rest, and regular icing it's one day at a time.
Don't be afraid to vent here as well. I am sure  before hon know it Xmas and the new year will be here and you will have turned the corner. The best thing you ever did was have the surgery. You will find lots of every helpful fellow hippies here:). Have a great Xmas and new year
Cheers

RBHR 11/11/13 by Stephen McMahon @
The Avenue Hospital Melbourne Australia

luann again

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2013, 08:33:46 AM »
Chin up! Everyone is different. You are ONLY one week out! Give your leg a lot of time and patience and don't judge your recovery by others! I am 3 1/2 years out and STILL getting stronger everyday! Be positive, consult with your Dr, do what PT and activities you can.
( I had a lot of "bone spurs" and was in my mid forties, too!). :)
Lu
Dr. Sparling WA Wright C+ 2010 right hip, petite female done at age 45

Kevin Warr

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2013, 06:12:21 PM »
Just discovered this site a few days ago and finding lots of useful info. Anyway, I am one week post op. Due to the number and  placement of osteophytes my surgery lasted almost 4 hours. So lots of swelling and blood loss. Everyday is a little better but seems I have more groin and front quad weakness. While lying I still can't manage to raise the leg off the bed at all. Anyone else have something  similar?  Guess I didn't figure on my recovery being so slow. I'm 43 years old.
Hi Jnick

I understand totally where you are coming from. My op was on the 14th December. I went for quite a long walk this morning. My issues are still stiffness in the groin area after sitting for more than 10 minutes. Everything seems to tighten up and takes ages to loosen. Am trying to be vigilant in my exercise program. but don't want to overdo it. Sleep is difficult as I am not used to sleeping on my back.

I hope it all settles for you quickly. Bye the way all you hippies I am in Brisbane Queensland, Australia. I think the majority of others are from the good Old USA.

So while you are all freezing (snow) guess you wont have to do much icing of the leg hahahaha I am sweltering in 35C temps. I will just have to settle for an ice cold beer.

Merry Christmas

Kevin

My op
Surgery 14/12/13 - Dr Patrick Weinrauch

Jnick

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2013, 09:22:37 PM »
Thanks for all the replies!  Over the last 3 days since my original post, things have started to turn around considerably. Swelling is going away and that low grade fever is subsiding. Told a friend it's like now I feel "normal" except for the "hip". ROM improving everyday as well as the pain.  Still not close to ditching the walker yet though.  And still cant sleep more than 2-3 hrs at a time overnight so hoping that will improve soon too.  So just like others helped me if anyone reads this just get thru the first week! 

luann again

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2013, 10:43:26 PM »
Great news! Glad you're felling better!
Yes, I remember the sleepless nights.  That will improve, too.
Fight the war to win!   :)
Lu
Dr. Sparling WA Wright C+ 2010 right hip, petite female done at age 45

Jnick

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2013, 02:37:36 PM »
Had follow up appt with ortho today. Said x rays look good and he's pleased. I'm 18 days post op. Ditched walker for cane today. We went out for lunch and it went well. Can tell the cane makes me work a little harder so figure that's good. He did not order any more PT but I know the exercises and have been walking. Main barriers for me now are soreness, tightness at surgical site and front hip flexor and groin are weak. Have to assist with my arm swinging leg into car for example. Again thanks for all the replies and encouraging words and good luck to the others on the road to recovery.

Kevin Warr

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2013, 09:48:02 PM »
Jnick

Sounds pretty much the same as me. I am 16 days post op and have the same soreness and tightness issues as you in the same spots. Would love a couple more exercises to release that.
I am now walking 3 times daily about 400 metres each time sometimes just trying to use one crutch. I have been give 10 different exercises to do starting at reps of 10 but now have increased them to 15 of each and doing them 3 times daily.
How are you going with your medication? I have cut back to 2 X Tremadol before I go to bed and at the moment that is working.
Trying not to overdo the exercise program but am wanting to push forward.

Kev
Surgery 14/12/13 - Dr Patrick Weinrauch

Jnick

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2013, 10:13:23 PM »
Kevin, I have taken nothing in day and a half. Little more sore today so may take a half of Percocet tonight which is 2.5 mg of oxycodone but then again I may not. If it made me drowsy I probably would to help sleep but it doesn't. Im starting to sleep in a little longer intervals 3-4 hrs last night. Just hard getting comfortable. Even put pillow between legs and laid on side last night but not a huge difference.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: start running by BilateralRecerf
May 02, 2024, 05:26:17 AM

Re: start running by spartykus
May 02, 2024, 04:08:53 AM

Re: start running by BilateralRecerf
May 02, 2024, 02:27:12 AM

Re: when did your pain/discomfort completely go away by demens13
April 29, 2024, 12:12:52 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear