+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Another Happy Two Year Update/Dr. Rector  (Read 2407 times)

Boomer

Another Happy Two Year Update/Dr. Rector
« on: December 27, 2013, 05:32:07 PM »
This update is for the wonderful Hippies who helped me through both of my hip resurfacing journeys. Those journeys, frightening and dark at times, are distant memories to me now. But I have never forgotten the kindness of the people who inhabit this special place. I am doing fantastic, and wanted to share that with you, because you were with me the whole way. I also have to remember Vicki Marlow at this time, since she spent quite a bit of time on the telephone helping me get the process moving when I was so scared I was frozen in place. She was a special person.

I had my two year check up with Dr. Rector a few weeks ago. He was quite pleased with the x -rays and told me the angles are great, and the bone growth is proceeding as expected. I don't have the range of motion Dr. Rector thought I should have, but he wasn't too concerned. My IT bands are tight, so I need to be more conscientious about working on them with the foams rollers that are collecting dust in my house. No question that my range of motion improves when I work on it. Imagine that!

Surprisingly, I still experience noticeable improvements in cetain areas even after almost two years of healing. I regained my strength pretty quickly, but flexibility has taken a long time and is still returning.

I live in Colorado and am able to enjoy hiking in the mountains again without limits. That may not sound like a big deal, but at my low point two years ago, my family was hiking the Rockies without me, which was heartbreaking for all of us. I haven't been skiing yet, but plan to give it a try this Spring. I'm a bit nervous about that, but know it will come. Like everything else about my recovery, I am taking things slowly. "Slowly" has worked out really well for me so far.

There is a serious downside to successful resurfacing however. Ballroom dancing lessons! Yes, as soon as my lovely wife realized my recovery was progressing, she signed me up for weekly lessons. I couldn't dance before, and despite a huge investment in dancing lessions, I still can't dance. But I show up for the lessons every week. My wife remains hopeful.

I consider myself very lucky. I have no limitations on my life at this point, and have been enjoying life more than anyone has a right to expect. I don't play any impact sports now, but I can't say that I miss them, because there is so much else to do here in Colorado. I travel the world a great deal, and have no issues with that once I get through security at the airports. I had some trouble in Frankfurt, Germany last Spring with airport security who insisted that I was carrying a knife. I explained several times that it was my metal hips that were setting off the alarm, but they weren't buying my explanation. After a brief, but tense standoff, they took a Swiss Army knife out of my camera bag. My daughter had placed it there without my knowledge. Fortunately the Germans were in good humor and just laughed at my embarassment.

My outlook on life, the way I relate to family and friends, and how I go about planning my future all changed drammatically for the better once my hips were repaired. It is hard to overstate how much we lose during the decline, or how much we regain when we have recovered. I have been given a second chance.

So that's my update. Raise a glass for me. And, if I can help anyone along with this process, please let me know. I learned about paying it forward on this website.

Boomer

« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 09:54:03 AM by Pat Walter »
RBHR with Dr. Rector on 11/30/2011
LBHR with Dr. Rector on 6/11/2012

Jon

Re: Another Happy Two Year Update
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2013, 06:55:47 AM »
Boomer:

Great report and congrats on the outcome. Will raise that glass a little later today!

Two years for me as well on Dec. 20th.

Vicky Marlow also provided me with invaluable assistance leading up to my surgery.  She was an incredible advocate for BHR.

Headed out shortly for another day of skiing with my young son.  Doesn't get any better.

Happy New Year.
Jon
McMinn RBHR, December 2011

Anna

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2013, 07:10:19 PM »
Boomer, this is great! You have made me chuckle today. I hope you have many more happy years with your hips so you can perfect that ballroom dancing!  ;D

Anna
RTHR - 08/08/2013 -Mr johan witt, London

Reno

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2013, 01:24:43 PM »
Hi Boomer. Congrats on your two-year anniversary! It is awesome to hear how far you have come and how your life has changed for the better as a result of your BHR. As a THR Hippie with just four-and-a-half months post op recovery under my belt, you give me hope to follow in your footsteps.

Good luck with the ballroom dancing lessons. Just like almost everything else in life, getting those hips in working order is a double-edged sword... 

Take care!
Reno

whyme

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2013, 06:28:12 PM »
Hi Boomer,

You've also regained your sense of humor (well, I don't know, maybe you never lost it!), this is probably the best metric of a successful recovery, more than the range of motion  :)

Thanks for your post, glass raised!
Left hip resurfacing (Conserve Plus) 2013-09-04
Dr. De Smet

hernanu

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2013, 10:24:05 AM »
Boomer, it is really good to hear you're doing so well. I expected and hoped for it, since you put so much work and effort into it.

I'll start the process to turn you into an honorary latin american, which when finished will give you the key to unlock those hips and let you shine at ballroom dancing. One step at a time.

Great news, hope you have an even better result this next year.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Yesterday at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal