+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: When did you ditch your crutches?  (Read 2467 times)

johns567

When did you ditch your crutches?
« on: December 27, 2013, 07:14:56 PM »
I am 9 days post-op and aside from some swelling, feel pretty good. I don't want to overdue it, but when did you all ditch the crutches?
Also, what is best way to get swelling down?

Juno

Re: When did you ditch your crutches?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2013, 08:21:25 PM »
Hi John,
After my first HR 5 months ago, I ditched my crutches at 14 days and used a cane for 3 more weeks. Now after my second  HR (15 days ago), I stopped using my crutches at 12 days and have been using the cane for the last three days. I suspect i will be off the cane in 2 more weeks. Use a and until your limp is almost gone. I wouldn't advise limping around just because you can. It's important to perfect your gait.

Best of luck!
Right resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 7/11/13
Left resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 12/11/13

oldsoccerplayer

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2013, 06:57:17 AM »
Ice and keeping the leg elevated are ways to get the swelling down. It might be hard during the day to keep the leg raised but try propping it up on a pillow while you sleep.
I was lucky that I was able to get off the crutches after a week then use  a cane for another week after that.  If you're not sure, try taking a few steps, you'll know if it feels right or not. It's not a race so go at your own pace.
BioMet Left Hip Resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 07/2013

obxpelican

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2013, 05:47:00 PM »
Generally you do not want to ditch any aide to walking without going from 2 crutches to one to sometimes even a cane.  You don't want to risk having a long term limp.

Here's a log I created http://surfacehippy.info/hiptalk/hip-resurfacing-topics/easy-difficult-recoveries/msg6307/#msg6307 your mileage may vary.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

lgbran

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2013, 07:33:25 PM »
7 weeks since surgery. On 1 crutch for past 1.5 weeks. Supposably ditching the remaining crutch later this week.Have tried a few steps with. O crutches and am not ready.
I was going fantastic HOWEVER AS OTHERS HAVE WARNED if you overdo it you will feel it.
Over the 3 previous days I went for a few longer walks, drove the car, went to the movies and tried to stretch my quad as advised by the physio with an elastic tube around my ankle and pulling my ankle towards my butt. Well my ankle, leg have swollen up, my leg is sore and have set myself back. Apart from that I've put on 10 kgs since the op. You can't rush a thing and when you do you pay. I've got some hiking poles that I was planning to use once the crutches were dispensed with , however might have to progress to a cane. Trust me it's not worth it to rush. I thought I was. Wing sensible but it's come to bite me . Take it easy one day at a time
Cheers

RBHR 11/11/13 by Stephen McMahon @
The Avenue Hospital Melbourne Australia

whyme

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2013, 06:16:25 PM »
Hi John
Lying down and raise the leg slightly with pillow(s) for 30' or more was the best way for me to reduce swelling down the leg.
For localized swelling -around the incision- I found icing better.

I used 2 crutches for ~2 weeks, and 1 crutch for a further 4 weeks, sometime during week 7 I didn't need it anymore.
Note that I could (and did) walk without aid 3-4 weeks after surgery, but just inside the house.
As others have mentioned, make sure you do not limp when you ditch them, otherwise it's probably early. I got rid of the second crutch gradually over 10 days or so, by adding "sets" of walking unaided during a normal walk with a crutch.
Left hip resurfacing (Conserve Plus) 2013-09-04
Dr. De Smet

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat