+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Recreational Soccer - Men's 40+  (Read 8437 times)

cnolan

Recreational Soccer - Men's 40+
« on: June 18, 2008, 06:20:32 PM »
Anybody out there been able to return to playing soccer?  I played about 7 years in a recreational 40+ league and would love to try to get back.  Surgery was 1/30/08, and am planning to wait until 6 months to try.  The team scrimmages 2 blocks from my house, so I have been taking the long way home from work on Thursday night to avoid temptation.
Any soccer stories out there?
Chris Nolan
Chicago
Sheinkop
« Last Edit: June 20, 2008, 03:10:56 PM by Pat Walter »

John P

Re: Recreational Soccer - Men's 40+
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2008, 07:44:45 PM »
Hi Chris,

I am 41 and a soccer coach from Ireland. I had my right hip resurfaced nearly 2 weeks ago. I have discussed restrictions with soccer with my surgeon many times. His advise to me was that after 1 year he would lift all restrictions on impact sports (actually playing )However he would prefer if I did not go back playing as it could shorten the life span of the BHR.
He sees no problem with coaching and reckons I will be back at work in Sept, running & demonstrating.
I have played soccer since I was 8 and have collected many many war wounds over the years but I do feel that now I am over 40 and have had this wonderful BHR option available I want to make it last. Saying that I do know one guy who had 2 BHR over the past 4 years. He is now 46 and plays 5 a side the odd time.
I hope some of the above helps.

John P
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 03:30:00 PM by John P »

NeilDC

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2008, 12:09:00 AM »
I am pasting my entry that I posted re John's question and soccer...it seems like more people are reading this strand.

I had my right hip done in March at the Anderson clinic outside of DC.  I am a former college/pro player in the states and am 44 years old.   I plan on playing next month in an over 35 league and have been diligent with my training.  I was on crutches for 3 weeks and then went directly to walking and at about 5 weeks started roadbiking and lifting weights.  I started slowly but am now riding about 100 miles per week (30 to 40 miles per ride) and have been kicking the ball for about 3 weeks (no matches or contact).  I am doing drills and exercises and am finding I am needing to teach my leg how to spring/move quick again...I am seeing some improvement though and am experiencing no pain.  My goal will be to play on an open age division on a top flight amateur team in the spring.  If you can rebuild your strength, get your flexibility back there shouldn't be any problem playing...bone grafting/healing to our replacement hip is essentially done after 8-10 weeks even if it'll take about 1 year or so for full %100 percent recovery.  I am literally working out every day and taking supplements too.  I plan on posting my experiences on the athletes section of the surface hippy site when I complete a couple of matches.  Keep the faith.  Neil

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2008, 09:14:53 AM »
Hi Neil

I will be happy to post your story on the main website as you recover.  I would like to have some photos or videos of you back in action.  That would be a great addition to your story.

I will post your story on the Athletes page  http://www.surfacehippy.info/athletes.php

Who was your doctor?  I post the stories and catgorize them by doctor name.

I look forward to your updates and hopefully photos. I sometimes miss posts here on  the discussion group since there are so many, so it would be helpful if you would just email me your updates, photos and videos    pwalter@surfacehippy.info

I also invite any other athletes that have stories to tell to forward me their story and photos or videos.  I am also happy to post non-athletes stories too.  Just send me your info.

Pat - Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

TomBuell

• Right Birmingham Hip Resurfacing 7/1/08
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2008, 09:42:58 AM »
I think you guys are (or will be) real proof that hip resurfacing can help us return to our old active lives. I'm a former college soccer player, and I know that has to be one of the most challenging activities for a hip patient. Hockey too.
More power to you!
- Tom

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM