+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Packing suggestions  (Read 1875 times)

HowieF-16

Packing suggestions
« on: January 04, 2014, 12:48:24 PM »
I am driving to Tamp on Monday for a scheduled Right Hip Resurfacing with Dr. Raterman and need some suggestions from those of you who have done the same.  What do I need to pack?  What clothes will I be able to wear after the surgery;  sweats, lounge pants, pajama bottoms, regular loose fitting clothing?  How can I make the drive more comfortable?  Any ideas will be helpful.  Thank you and looking forward to joining the club and getting my mobility back.
RBHR, Dr. Raterman, 1-8-14

Miguelito

Re: Packing suggestions
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2014, 01:19:32 PM »
Hi Howie,

I am sure someone will weigh in with a more thorough packing list. But I did want to weigh in on pants. Your leg is going to be very stiff and probably somewhat swollen. I have to be honest, regular loose fitting clothing is a real non-starter. My thigh was quite traumatized. There is no other way to put it.

Driving in warm-ish weather I would go with loose fitting, plush basketball type shorts. You know the type that go to your knee. Or I'd cut pajama bottoms off at the knee. Then I'd just have a light blanket handy to throw over your legs as needed for warmth/comfort.

You could do sweatpants but you would need help getting them off and on, and they would have to be pretty loose, particularly up high, nearer the waist. Frankly in the first 3-4 days you are gonna need help with getting on any clothing. Even at three or four weeks socks are going to be an adventure.

For footwear you want something that you can slip on and off with just your feet, but that will also stay on on their own (ie open backed slippers are gonna be falling off all the time. Something like a slipper moccasin would be ideal.

You are probably gonna be hooked up with a kit of tools by your doctor, but you are gonna need a reacher, a leg puller, and a sock puller. You won't be up for using the sock-puller until after you are home, though.

Car trip is gonna be uncomfortable, but make yourself some ice-bags. How long is the trip?

Mike
RHR April 2012.
LHR March 2014.

Both Biomet Magnum/Recap 54/48, by Dr. Thomas Gross.

HowieF-16

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2014, 06:52:31 PM »
Gracias Migeulito.  The drive is about 5 hours.  I know it will be long and painful after the surgery.  Our intent is to stop at just about every rest area to allow me to get out of the vehicle and move a bit.  I really appreciate the insight on what type of clothes to wear and how my leg will be post-op.  I have some pajama bottoms, but will look to pick up some of those basketball shorts you referenced.  I have an Iceman with a car adapter, so I will be iced up for the trip, too.  I hope to hear some other opinions before I hit the road on Monday.  Thanks again and good luck with your left hip in March.
RBHR, Dr. Raterman, 1-8-14

oldsoccerplayer

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2014, 07:07:28 PM »
A lot depends on how soon after the surgery they discharge you. I had mine done on Wed. morning and was discharged Fri. morning. (It would have been a day earlier but for a bladder issue.) Even so I was still under the influence of the anesthesia and slept for the 1.5 hours in the car and then again most of the rest of the day once I was home. You could make a case for getting home as quickly as possible because getting in and out of the car can be tricky. Probably best to play it by ear and be flexible.
BioMet Left Hip Resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 07/2013

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: start running by BilateralRecerf
May 02, 2024, 05:26:17 AM

Re: start running by spartykus
May 02, 2024, 04:08:53 AM

Re: start running by BilateralRecerf
May 02, 2024, 02:27:12 AM

Re: when did your pain/discomfort completely go away by demens13
April 29, 2024, 12:12:52 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal