+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Help! one doc says to do BHR-the other advises a Total Hip Replacement!  (Read 2393 times)

martinbeef

we went and saw a surgeon in cincinnati who has done the most hip resurfacings in the area..very reknowned..he's done 150 with 100% great results. He says husband is perfect candidate and can get us on the schedule for august. (this man is president of cincinnati orthopedic surgeons, does tons of research, is an international speaker on BHR in San Francisco this fall....his credentials rock!)

the regular orthopedist (in same group..other side of town, and very well regarded) called today and advised against it. he says it's "too much demand on the femoral neck, and in time, this procedure can lead to increase chance of hip fracture". We love our regular orthopedist...and trust him...now what to do? My husband is very lean..he's not overweight, 51 years old with super bone stock.

what should we do?

bernsber

Go for the resurfacing! I think it has well proven itself by now. Just make sure you have a good Doctor, because most of the failures in resurfacing is due to Doctor error, not the implant itself.

If you have questions, make sure you do your research until you get them answered. It will be well worth your time.

Also, if for some reason the implant were to fail somewhere down the road, you can always go to a THR. But once a THR has been implanted, you can't go back to a BHR.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Hi

There is a large amount of disagreement among orthopedic surgeons about hip resurfacing.  Many are just plain - ill informed.  Others are not skilled enough to learn the more difficult procedure.  So there are many more that wlll bad mouth hip resurfacing than support it at this time. Here are 3 experienced hip resurfacings surgeons answer to correct the wrong information he is giving you  http://www.surfacehippy.info/faqsmallheadneckration.php

I went to 4 orthos and paid them each $200 each to listen to them bad mouth hip resurfacing and warn me - you will be sorry.

You should listen to a doctor that does both hip resurfacing and THR.  Then they have the experience in both and have an unbiased view.

I would believe your original orthopedic surgeon since he is experineced.  Your husband is very young at 51 and should have the bone conserving hip resurfacing if possible. 

Hip resurfacing is newer than THR, but I even have stories from people that have had theirs 10 or 15 years now.  It is not new overseas.  My doctor has been doing them since 1998 along with many others.

You just need to do some more research to understand that the doctor is not giving you the correct info.  Why don't you ask your original surgeon the same question???  Tell him what the other doctor told you and listen to his answer.  He will have a good one.  He has 150 happy patients and there are many with thousands of happy patients.

Many of us have been in your situation having doctors tell us - you will be sorry.  We choose not to listen to them since the don't have experience in hip resurfacing. 

It is up to you, but in your heart if you feel you want resurfacing - then find information to support your decision.  You original doctor would be a great resource. 

Your husband is young.  He could easily require a revision sometime during his life and with hip resurfacing, he will have his whole femur bone left.  I was 61 and felt I was too young for a THR.

I hope that page I gave you to read will help.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

martinbeef

oh thank you to BOTH OF YOU for your kind replies! your opinions match mine..I am a registered nurse and have done a ton of reading, and I told my husband today that I truly believe the hip resurfacing is the better alternative, considering his youth, condition, and activity level. Also, I totally agree...if he needs a THR later, then so be it! but having a hip revision later (from a total hip) is a much more serious procedure than getting a total hip after a hip resurfacing.

I think we are going to proceed with Plan A, which means BHR in late august.
blessings!  susan  (ps to pat: thanks for the links!:)

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
Hi Susan

We all have to listen to our inner voice and follow it.  You are an educated person quite able to read and understand.  I would be making the same decision if I were your husband.  We all made the same decision against the opinions of the non hip resurfacing surgeons.

I wish your husband the very best.  I hope you will keep in touch and let us know how he is doing after his surgery.

Each strory about our decision making and how difficult it can be helps other people.

Good luck.

Pat
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

martinbeef

thanks pat! oh and hey..i noted on your physician list that Dr. Michael Swank in Cincinnati, Ohio is not listed. He has now performed over 112 procedures, and was the first physician in the greater cincinnati/northern Kentucky area to perform the procedure on July 31, 2006. Here is a link to his credentials...FyI. (I'll keep you posted on how good he goes for me husband! :)  susan

http://hipresurfacinginfo.com/swank_3.html

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
HI

I added Dr. Swank to my list. When you see him and he has the time, I need to find out when and where he trained to do the BHR. 

I also always ask the doctors to give a link back to my Surface Hippy website since I am listing them.  They are normally happy to do that.

I don't see an email address for him or I would email him.

If you ever get a minute  - you can ask him the info.  He will probably be most willing to share it.  He can also contact me anytime about his listing or adding additional info at  pwalter@surfacehippy.info

I wish you the best of luck and hope you will write a story after your husband gets his new hip. 

Pat
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat