+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Why like this and does it matter?  (Read 2446 times)

Beaglebuddy

Why like this and does it matter?
« on: January 10, 2014, 02:55:11 PM »
I'm 50 years old now, about 2 years ago it started with not being able to sleep on the right side, seemed like a classic case of hip bursitis. My GP Dr. from the Veterans Administration injected it with cortisone but it did absolutely nothing, then a few months later a visiting VA ortho injected it and again nothing, a few months later he injected it once more, nothing.
Because I live on the small island of Kauai the VA system is just a clinic, so anything significant gets farmed out to the local civilian hospital. So next I saw the Dr. who does nearly all the hips on the island, Dr. Rovinsky who is well regarded locally. He tells me the other injections missed the bursa because it's so small, he does an injection while I am standing as opposed to laying down with the other injections. He tells me he is injecting it right into the joint??? I look back on this now and wonder why is he going straight into the joint for bursitis???
Immediately after this I am crippled, for a month I can barely hobble around. Previous to this I never even had a limp. Sports and long walks are now not possible.
So now off to physical therapy but after several months no change at all so they do an MRI but the machine here is no good and it shows nothing, next they send me to Honolulu for a contrast MRI at a special clinic where it shows partial tear of superior anterior labrum, bone spurring, a cyst, cartilage thinning, swelling, and even trochanter bursitis.
Dr. tells me I need a new hip but won't give me one because I am too young which is how I ended up here.
Question is why did this injection cripple me? Does any of this even matter?
Dr. tells me injection must have inflamed area and hip is just worn out from sports and years of working construction.

Boomer

Re: Why like this and does it matter?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2014, 03:53:33 PM »
Beaglebuddy I can understand your frustration with the various medical experiences you have had. But, you are right, it really doesn't matter now. Look forward, not back.

You are fortunate to have a pretty good hip resurfacing doctor at Kuakina Health in Honolulu. His name is Hayomoto Mori, and he has been doing resurfacing surgeries since 2006. I don't know him, but I checked him out a few years ago when I was considering relocating to Hawaii.

Good luck to you.

Boomer
RBHR with Dr. Rector on 11/30/2011
LBHR with Dr. Rector on 6/11/2012

Mike D

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2014, 04:04:47 PM »
Hi Beaglebuddy,
Sorry to hear of your bad treatment, there's no way that should be happening.
I don't have any experience regarding cortisone injections but some people on the forum have so I'm sure you'll get some good advice on that pretty soon.
One of the most important things I've learned here is the importance of taking advice from the most experienced surgeon you can, so many people have been in your shoes and suffered from bad advice.
The best surgeons will tell you immediately what you need, not what they think might work or should be ok.
Some of these top surgeons will tell you if you are a candidate for resurfacing via email if you send them x-rays-Pat can tell you which ones to contact.
If you do require a THR, don't despair-the large ball ceramic/oxynium will last a long ,long time.  You just need to see the right person as soon as possible
One thing is for sure, you made a good choice joining this site-the help and advice here is incredible, cheers,Mike.
Right Ceramic THR
Ronan Treacy   Birmingham R.O.H
8 August 2012

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2014, 07:25:53 PM »
Hi

Welcome to Hip Talk.  I am very sorry to hear about your injection pain and problems.

I can't tell you why it went wrong or hurt, but I can tell you that you are not too young for a hip resurfacing or thr.  I have stories of teenagers and 20 year olds with hip replacements.

No matter your age, there is no reason to live life with pain and be inactive.  Several of the top Hip resurfacing surgeons will give you a free email consultation of you send them you story and copy of your x-rays in a digital format as a .jpg    Dr. Gross, Dr. Brooks, Dr. Rogerson, Dr. Kusuma are a few.  You can look at my list to see who will give you a free consultation.  That way you have the opinions of the top hip resurfacing surgeons about what would be a good choice to get out of pain and back to an active life.

http://www.surfacehippy.info/listofdoctors.php

It's a good place to start.  All of the top hip resurfacing surgeons also do THRs so you will get an honest opinion about what might work best.

Good Luck.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

hernanu

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2014, 07:49:40 PM »
Hey Beaglebuddy - been to your island, it's a beautiful place.

The advice you're getting is good. You are not too young for a resurfacing, many of us have gotten theirs around your age. I had both done at 54 and resumed life afterwards.

There's no need to suffer, do your research, we'll be glad to help, but take your life forward.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal