+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: advice, please  (Read 2541 times)

Julia Ingram

advice, please
« on: June 20, 2008, 11:36:20 AM »
Hello,
I just joined this group and may have posted my question in the wrong place, so hear it is again.  I'm scheduled for total hip replacement July 7th.  I can't figure out how long to plan to be off work.  I'm a therapist, so it is very sedentary work.
Is 3 weeks off realistic (in general)?  I'm a strong and healthy 68 year old woman.  Any advice will be appreciated
Julia

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: advice, please
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2008, 12:18:34 PM »
Hi Julia

Welcome to Hip Talk.  I gave you your own topic.

This group is about hip resurfacing.  It is quite different than a THR in that the femur bone is not cut off.  It is reshaped at the top and then is capped with a metal cup. THere is also a cup placed in the acetabulum just as in a THR.  It is bone conserving compared to a THR.

I just wanted to make sure you understood - I am sure you did since you are a therapist.

Hip resurfacing patients normally recover faster than a THR.  I know many will argue the point, but I was on one crutch at 4 days and none at 4 weeks.  No pain meds after leaving the hospital and I can now do anything I want.

I tried to do some PT when I came home from Belgium about 15 days post op - but they only kept me 2 sessions since they said I was so far ahead of a THR patient that they did not know what to do with me.

I do know some THR patients do recover quickly too.  But - hip resurfacing and THRs are both major surgeries.  There is no way to predict your recovery time.  Some people like me who are not in good physical condition and older, recover quickly while some athletes in prime condition take a long time.  It is up to your own body.

I was 61 when I had my hip resurfacing and did not get my full energy back until about 6 months later.  That was my worst problem - no stamina.  I took many naps and was very tired.

Some people return to a desk job a few weeks after surgery, but they are in the minority.  I just don't think anyone can tell you.  If you are very active as a therapist - maybe you can get back to work in 3 weeks  - but I think it will be tough.

Sitting for long periods is difficult for a number of weeks. Your hip is just stiff and your incision can bother you.

What kind of hip are you getting??  MOM  metal on metal or Ceramic on Ceramic?  Just wondering.  If you are still very active, you should have one of the large ball THRs.

This group is for hip resurfacing, so you won't probalby get much input since that has not been their experience.  I have a discussion group for THRs, but it is still much smaller and less active than this group  http://www.hipsforyou.com/totalhiptalk/   I invite you to join that group if you would like.

Meanwhile, you are welcome to hang around here and talk with us.  We all have new hips - just have different kinds than you are going to get.

I wish you the very best and hope everything turns out well for you.  Keep in touch.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

bernsber

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2008, 12:53:36 PM »
Julia,

Do everything you can to research about hip resurfacing. I was scheduled for a double THR this fall, and my Ortho Doc didn't even tell me about Hip Resurfacing, even though he was in the middle of training for it.

If THR is the only and best option for you, then take it. But please, make sure you get as informed about hip resurfacing as you can possibly be before you go forward. It may just change your perspective on things. Search out multiple doctors who have lots of experience. There are world renowned doctors who even do free email consulting. Pat's surface hippy website is a great source for lots of this type of information.

Cheers!  ;D

takilasunrise

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2008, 11:29:36 AM »
I was back to work 4 weeks after my right hip was resurfaced.  I have a desk job, so the doctor had no problem with me going back.  If I had a job where I was on my feet all the time, I wouldn't have wanted to come back for 8 weeks! 

terryi

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2008, 02:22:34 PM »
I don't know if you can work flexible hours, but, if you can, that's how I'd go back to work: a couple of hours to start with and then gradually lengthen your day.

I have a desk job and was back at work 6 days after surgery, though working only 4 hours my first day back).   I'd guess that would be very ambitious for a therapist.  I'm now 9 days post-op and working about 6.5 hours a day.  I take a nap when I get home, and it feels especially good to elevate my leg after sitting and standing for a prolonged period.

Julia Ingram

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2008, 01:29:20 PM »
I didn't read this carefully enough, and it didn't compute that this group is about resurfacing.  Sorry about that, but
your responses did cause me to continue my research.
Thanks,
Julia

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2008, 01:50:31 PM »
Hi Julia

You are welcome to post here if you have questions.  We are a friendly bunch - just that we went the hip resurfacing route instead of the THR route.

I wish you the best of luck.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat