+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Surgery with Dr Brooks on February 17th  (Read 2020 times)

Beth

Surgery with Dr Brooks on February 17th
« on: February 06, 2014, 01:39:39 PM »
I really have to thank every one here. You all are terrific. The information and support has been amazing. Although I don't comment much, I have been on the site everyday for the past several months reading everyone's posts.
I saw Dr Brooks for my pre-op this week and when I told him that I had been researching the BHR in great detail and had been on this web site since October he smiled and he said that he loved to hear that.
Dr Brooks asked me what I knew about women and the success rate and I was able to tell him the correct #'s and information, where I got my information, etc. He did add that failure rate in women was being linked to the amount of anteversion. This causes issues with placement and wear.
There was some question initially about my being a candidate due to a small head size and some dysplasia but the additional xrays and cat scan showed that I was "clearly a 44 mm head with negligible dysplasia" He said that he couldn't imagine me waking up with a THR but he would "never say never" so the consent I signed said "BHR with possible THR".
Again, my hip xrays are essentially NORMAL. Thank God, the surgeon who did my hip scopes documented with pictures the bone-on-bone areas of arthritis and bone spurs. I also have a more labral tears documented by a MRI this past August.
I was a tad taken back when he said "why now" have the surgery? But, I am sure he wants to hear the patient's point of view. It wasn't difficult to say 4 years ago I was doing everything I loved to do. I RAN a 10k 4 years ago and yesterday I could hardly WALK a mile. I easily could have gone on to list 10 more things but he got it.
My anxiety was out of this world until now.  I want my life back. Quite frankly my husband wants me back too!
I did everything I could to avoid another surgery but now it's time to take the next step. This has been 4 years of an emotional roller coaster. I am at peace and ready.
Dr Brooks said we would talk about the other hip after I start recovering from this one. (I can tell I have more labral tears but the arthritic pain is not so severe.)
I will report in after surgery. ;) I plan on being another success story!
Beth
2/17/2014 RBHR Dr Brooks Cleveland Clinic
52mm cup  46mm head
LBHR planned for 6/19/2015: CANCELLED

Dan L

• LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012
Re: Surgery with Dr Brooks on February 17th
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2014, 01:46:20 PM »
Beth;

I can relate to the anxiety as well, remember that you are in incredibly good hands (I am biased) and it will turn out very well.  The entire experience with the team at CCF Euclid was really positive.  My second one will be 2 years old on the 22nd, and I could not be happier.

This realization helped me calm down prior to the first one:

The day before surgery will be the last day your hip will get worse; the day of and after it will steadily improve.  Mine continue to improve. 

I took a 2+ hour, six mile hike in the Cuyahoga Valley last Sunday, in the snow and ice, slipping/sliding and going up/down hills and although I was a little sore (muscles only) it was soooo nice to do that without the OA pain or labrum pain.   I can do anything I want now.  It is liberating and your husband will get a happy camper back.

I would urge you to follow the program closely, do all the exercises every day, obey all the restrictions and listen to Brooks, Phil and the rest of them.  Once off the crutches walk as much as you can. 

You will be very happy very soon.

Dan
LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012

hernanu

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2014, 03:22:58 PM »
Great stuff Beth! Congrats on the upcoming and keep it up. Before you know it you'll be on the other side.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

grapesintx

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2014, 06:50:27 PM »
Hi Beth!
So glad to hear you sounding so good and the anxiety gone!!  Just FYI, I also have a 44 head size!
When I met with Dr Gross, he did not even mention a worry about this at all.  He was focused on the   discussing the possibility my leg length might not be restored due to the amount of bone loss I had.  All is well, he was able to lengthen my leg...if you've been reading all the latest then you probably already saw my story!   
Less than two weeks to go!!  I'm happy and excited for you!!
Lorie
1/22/14
Dr Gross
RHR Biomet Tri-Spike Magnum 50/44  Dr Gross  1/22/14

Beth

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2014, 08:07:30 PM »
Dan L: Thanks for your advice and words of encouragement. I live ~3 miles from the Ohio and Erie Canal Towpath Trail so I can't wait to get back on it. Just another activity that I've had to discontinue.  :-\

hernanu: You always know just what to say!

grapesintx: I can hear the positivity in your post Lorie! Good to hear your story and great outcome.

2/17/2014 RBHR Dr Brooks Cleveland Clinic
52mm cup  46mm head
LBHR planned for 6/19/2015: CANCELLED

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz