+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Noise from hip joint  (Read 3042 times)

chuckm

Noise from hip joint
« on: February 14, 2014, 10:36:21 AM »
I've never heard any noise from my resurfaced hip joint, but I read an article on this site by Dr. Pritchett that cited a study that tested for noise coming from hip implants and found that every device in the study made substantial noise. This noise however was usually at frequencies above the audible range for humans. But metal shell components like those used for resurfacing and ceramic devices created the lowest frequency noise and is why they sometimes are heard.

My question is, I can't hear any noise from my hip but do my pets hear the hip squeaking?

Chuckm
Left BHR 11/30/12
Hospital for Special Surgery
46 years old

hernanu

Re: Noise from hip joint
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 02:35:48 PM »
I never heard any from mine, but did notice that my dogs refused to come near me when I was dehydrated. Coincidence? I think not.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Debcoco

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2014, 06:04:22 PM »
Interesting.  I don't have any noise either, but if it will keep my neighbor's cats out of my flower beds I'll start exercising out there:)
RBHR, Dr. Richard Sellers, 04 DEC 13

HowieF-16

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2014, 10:43:36 PM »
I find this interesting. Before my surgery, my hip made all kinds of noise. I was never sure if anyone could hear it, but I sure felt it. It was like what many people have described in these forums after their HR. I am almost six weeks out and have not experienced any "clunking." I wonder if it is be cause my physical therapist really helped me strengthen my hip and leg before the surgery. Preparation hurt, but really seems to have helped rehab.
RBHR, Dr. Raterman, 1-8-14

China Lady

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2014, 09:53:58 PM »
this weekend I experienced a funny feeling while binding my shoe laces. nothing you can hear, it was like a vibrating, running down the muscle feeling, it started deep inside the hip. only for a second or so. is this "clunking"?
..... I will find out

Miguelito

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2014, 10:05:43 PM »
As for me, what i consider clunking is the very mechanical gear shifting feeling that i had after my first surgery.
RHR April 2012.
LHR March 2014.

Both Biomet Magnum/Recap 54/48, by Dr. Thomas Gross.

Jason0411

• Hotelier and Volunteer Lifeboat Crewman.
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2014, 05:27:57 AM »
I never heard anything. But have felt the clunk in the hip which became less and less and now if it does happen I no longer notice it. Maybe because the other old boney thing on the other side is now cluncking and making noises of its own.
RBHR Mr McMinn 6th December 2011.
Tripped and crushed head under cap 31st January 2012.
Self repairing.

hernanu

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2014, 08:06:18 AM »
this weekend I experienced a funny feeling while binding my shoe laces. nothing you can hear, it was like a vibrating, running down the muscle feeling, it started deep inside the hip. only for a second or so. is this "clunking"?

It may be. Your body is going through so much in readjusting to the more linear you, that things will be discombobulated for a bit. 

It may also be slight muscle spasms. That can be helped by hydration.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

China Lady

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2014, 08:42:43 AM »
hydration should be no problem for me. due to my diet I drink between 2 and 3 l per day. I am also not concerned, I only want to know what "clunking" is.
when I experienced that feeling, I thought that, maybe, a muscle moved over the metal implants. since last weekend I am able to bind my shoe laces, so its new. my left side never makes any problem, something funny always happens on the right side.
Thomas and a friend of us watched me doing it. sitting on a chair I bend down and from the inside of my left leg I have done it left sided. when coming to my right shoe, later they told me, I tried it from the "outside" of my leg. 
..... I will find out

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat