+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: 6 months aches and twinges is it normal  (Read 2737 times)

Charvel101

• Bi Lateral Hip Replacements 6 Years Apart
6 months aches and twinges is it normal
« on: February 17, 2014, 07:06:36 AM »
Hi everyone , 6 months in and probably not far off in terms of ability to do what I always could . Been enjoying life after last August's operation!,,,

My left BHR is fine in terms of movement full range almost now but I get dull aches and twinges that can sit with me for long periods , maybe it's normal exercise and stretching pains as I rebuild the muscle strength. Any advice or similar stories would be of great use . I am 47 in a few weeks so maybe I'm just getting old (-:

It's a familiar dull ache, not dissimilar to the hip failing but not as acute.

Currently active doing : Cycling , weight training ,swimming , with mild boxing training

Chris

Hope all are doing well great site s always

Mr Mcminn 2013 August 20th Left BHR   (-:
Ronan Treacy January 2020 Right BHR

chuckm

Re: 6 months aches and twinges is it normal
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 08:45:08 AM »
Charvel101, had my left BHR done when I was 46 in 2012. Twinges and tightness are totally expected.
Try the foam roller. Once in a while I still have a day where my leg is a bit tight and I just roll for 5 minutes and it cures it 100% every time. It can completely change your day.

Chuckm
Left BHR 11/30/12
Hospital for Special Surgery
46 years old

hernanu

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2014, 09:35:39 AM »
Chris, you'll be getting twinges for a bit, especially as you ramp up your activities.

I had twinges until about a year past my second (about 15 months), but much fewer as time passed.  One thing that I tried to do was to mix my training activities.

I mixed in soccer (or early on soccer like activities), martial arts (see soccer), continuing PT exercises, weights, pilates, and later on yoga. Walking and hiking, cycling, etc.

I still had twinges and one setback, a sciatica like pain for three weeks at nine months intermittently as I extended my right leg while walking up an incline. It prompted several calls to my surgeon's office and some internal anxiety. Then it stopped and never darkened my days again.

I attribute it to scar tissue that was letting go due to my increasing martial arts kick workout.

Remember that your body is not only recovering from the surgery, but also from muscle atrophy or over development due to the arthritis. It will take time for it to recover from that long term insult. 

You may get muscle pulls from stressing long inactive muscles while those around them are more than happy to soldier on.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Charvel101

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2014, 10:59:53 AM »
Thanks guys , really appreciate the feedback from those who have gone before will take the advice and try it out

Chris

obxpelican

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2014, 04:44:29 PM »
The only thing I would add to this thread is, a sharp twinge, like a lightening bolt down your leg can be something bad, a small twinge or aches are quite normal @ 6 months.  It should be getting better as you head towards a year post-op.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

Charvel101

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2014, 05:35:23 PM »
Thanks guys , really appreciate the feedback from those who have gone before will take the advice and try it out

Chris

Charvel101

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2014, 07:48:49 AM »
Went for a round at Physio let me tell you it was a big help and I feel much better on it today , will need to keep the rolling on a foam roller and ball great advice guys and  the Physio confirmed was just what was needed to losen that big glute muscle and relax it to allow more movement . 

6 months is early days. Think we all need to remember what we have had done it's not a small operation ...

Chris

luann again

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2014, 01:32:40 PM »
Hi Chris! I will be four years out this June. I remember 6 months out was my worst period of time for aches and pains. I actually panicked at one point and was sure it had to be failing!!
It continued up to my 1 year Ann. Almost magically at the 1 year mark, a huge improvement occurred. I have been doing well ever since.
As long as your Dr says everything is fine, work up to activities slowly and SMILE!!!
Lu
Dr. Sparling WA Wright C+ 2010 right hip, petite female done at age 45

Charvel101

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2014, 03:16:35 PM »
Thanks Lu it helps knowing that as it did cross my mind

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal