+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: How long before I can bend down and touch my toes again?  (Read 4909 times)

deb podany

How long before I can bend down and touch my toes again?
« on: June 22, 2008, 07:10:09 AM »
Hi everyone.  I am 6 days post-op after right hip resurfacing.  Very glad to say that I am experiencing only minor discomfort and feel much better now than pre-op!  Monday I plan on contacting my surgeon to see if I can ditch the walker and go to crutches.

I am wondering how long it took others to be able to bend normally.  I do find it frustrating not to be able to some of those standard everyday chores (like clean my cat's litter box - who would have thought I would miss doing that!).

Also, my right leg and buttock began swelling up like the Goodyear blimp 4 days post-op.  Am applying ice packs.

Any comments on your experiences would be welcome.  Other than above, I feel great!

Michigan hippy, Deb

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: How long before I can bend down and touch my toes again?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2008, 10:14:45 AM »
Hi Deb

Most of us had the 90 degree rule for 6 weeks or more. So you are not supposed to be bending more than 90 degrees at the waist.   Unless you had the anterior approach, I would suggest you be very careful.  I think I was able to tie my shoes at 4 or 5 weeks when I stopped using a crutch.  I was still very careful about my bending since I did not want a dislocation.

I was able to use just one crutch at 4 days.  That made everything easier since I had one hand free.

Some people have a lot of swelling while others don't.  You are doing the right thing to ice your hip if you have a lot of swelling.  Also keeping your leg elevated as much as possible will help.  Nose above the toes - is the rule.  Put lots of pillows under your operated let to get it up higher than your head when you are laying down.

Everyone heals at a different rate.  No one can tell you when you will be able to be normal again.  Your body will tell you and until then - listen to it.  When it hurts or swells - it means you are doing too much.  You will only go thru this type of major surgery once or twice in your life.  Be patient and conservative - then in a few months you will be doing great.

I had a pleateau at about 4 weeks and 6 months.  Big jumps in getting back to normal and feeling better.  I was getting around well without a crutch at 4 weeks, but still very stiff and tired.  Took lots of naps. 

You will be feeling better soon - just relax and take it easy for a few weeks.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

deb podany

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2008, 04:09:37 PM »
Thank you Pat!

I will do as you suggest and elevate my legs and feet when lying down.  It doesn't seem to me that I am doing too much, however my husband says I am doing too much jumping up and down.

I will be patient, as hard as that is.

One more question, how long did you have to wear the Ted hose?  I am 5'3" and am finding them very uncomfortable.  They come up to my groin and keep digging in my thighs.  I then try folding them down and end up with a deep ridge in my thigh that itches, so I am constantly readjusting.  Do you think they are too long for me?  Too tight?  They are a size medium.

Thanks for you input and suggestions.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2008, 05:07:18 PM »
Hi

I wore TEDS for 14 days and took heprin shots to my tummy for the same time.

I am 5' 8" tall, so they did not bother me.  All drugs stores and Wal Mart sell them.  Why don't you try to have your hubby buy you a smaller pair.  Mine did not make it all the way up to my groin. Just the middle of my thighs.

I am glad you are going to take it easy.  Just listen to your body.  One of these days, in a few weeks or so - you will hear it say - Let's get going!!!!! 

Good Luck.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

takilasunrise

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2008, 11:24:59 AM »
The TEDS the hospital gave me came up to me knees, like knee socks.  I only wore mine for maybe two weeks.  I'm 5 months post-up and I can still have issues putting on socks or shoes.  I have to be sure I'm sitting in our couch that is lower to the ground than let's say the dining room chair to be able to put my socks and shoes on comfortably.  But I can do "normal" stuff now, like pick stuff up off the floor, etc.  Getting down and up again from the floor still isn't too easy, but I can do it.  But that might have to do with being a little overweight and out of shape!  LOL! 

Big Bill

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2008, 11:34:51 AM »
My plan is to walk normally, build strength...and then focus on the flexibility. Even though I had the anterior approach, I am being more towards the conservative side   ;). I am 6' 5" and my wife purchased a "grabber" ...that helps alot ! My kids help to tie my one shoe on the operated side. I do everything else ! At 11 days post op I think things are going great! Good luck !

Big Bill ,  C.A.S.H.   8)

Marilyn

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2008, 07:54:49 PM »
Hi,

Sorry this is a little late, but thought I'd offer some encouragement to anyone reading.  I'm 3 mos. post op.  My doc probably had a conservative approach, which may be due to other medical conditions. 

I was in the hospital for 4 nights with an ice pack on my hip and the cool massing booties on my feet with the TEDS hose and wonderful nursing care. Then on to home where My Wonderful Husband (know referred to as MWH to avoid typing) you really find out how wonderful they are during all of this -   took care of me.  The first night home from the hospital was the worse night ever.  Although MWH took great care of me, you can't out perform those booties and special ice packs they use.  I had a bunch of swelling, my leg felt hot and I felt like I had a fever. I think I probably overdid it a little.  Ice packs, elevating the leg, and wearing the hose really seemed to help the swelling.  After that night - things to really get better and they get better every day!!! 

I used 2 crutches with touch weight bearing only and began physical therapy right away - PT 3x a week for 4 weeks.  I wore the hose - which MWH put on for me - which was really difficult - bless his heart.  I told him he could be secure in his manhood as it was obvious he had never put on hose before!   ;D   I used 2 crutches for 6 weeks, then 1 crutch for 2 weeks and a cane for 4 weeks.  I ditched the cane after about 2 weeks.  I was starting to trip over it rather than use it! 

I really did not mind the hose, as I could not shave my legs.  I am 6'1" and have a lot of legs to shave  ;).  Anyway, so as not to scare anyone, I kept BOTH hose on.  I figured with all the other things MWH was doing for me, that might be pushing my luck to ask him to shave my legs too!  A dear friend bought me a pair of light blue Crocs to wear during my recovery.  I joked with the Physical Therapists that I looked like Swiss Miss with my blue Crocs and white hose and whatever shorts and shirt that was clean - with MWH doing laundry... sometime's I looked like Barney or other cartoon characters, but I was clean  :)

For tennis shoes or other tie shoes.  Those curly shoelaces are wonderful.  You don't have to get someone to tie your shoes.  My MWH could rest after yanking on those hose and not have to worry about shoe laces.  Plus the curly shoe laces went better with my Barney outfits anyway.   ;)

Needless to say, I am without hose and cane and walking with a little bit of a limp.  I really think it is a bad habit I have picked up and I need to work on getting my old walk back - which I guess will come with time.  I am excited and happy with the quality of life and getting back to being nromal - whatever that is!   

Hang in there - it ALL goes uphill from here!!!  Good Luck!!
-mcave

stevenp

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2008, 09:47:49 PM »
Hi Deb,

I seem to have one of the more liberal docs here. (Dr Su in NYC). I'm about 1.5 weeks out and can touch my toes with no strain. I'm putting most of my weight on my leg when walking and it feels fine. Just slight soreness if I try to walk completely normally.  I had TEDS on during surgery, air-pulsing wraps on my calves for 2 days in the hospital, and then nada. Had no significant swelling in my feet, just my thigh (along with lots of bruising!). Dr. Su has no movement restrictions at all. I feel very comfortable with just one crutch now, and sometimes use 1 around the house so I can carry things.

Everyone's experience seems to vary quite a bit here, but all towards a much better condition than pre-surgery! I was still doing a lot of walking (living in NYC--no car) right up to my surgery, which may have helped. I'm looking forward to being able to swim, and hope to catch a little beach time before summer is gone.

Good luck and don't forget to notice that every day is a little better than the one before!  ;)

deb podany

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2008, 01:54:14 PM »
Hi everyone!

Thank you for your comments and support!  Thought I would update you. 

I am now 6 weeks post-op.  I am having no problem bending down, but do it carefully!  Have even been dancing, which is a great morale booster for me and good exercise!  Still have trouble shaving my legs (you men have it so lucky!).

Still have limp and still using single cane, but walking a bit more normally everyday.

I did have my physical therapist drive me a little insane when he questioned why my left leg was shorter than the other (right hip was resurfaced.)  I contacted my surgeon whom bascially said this was normal, too "chill out" and I am due to see him on August 28th.

One thing I have noticed during physical therapy is that certain exercises (especially those involving my upper thigh muscles are very weak.)  I sometimes have what I call "shaky leg syndrome" either during physical therapy or an hour after.  After I rest a while it goes away.  Has anyone else noticed this.  Could also be due to how long that I put off hip surgery and definitely had muscle atrophy.

Another thing I have noticed is that I still do become more fatigued quicker than I use to.  This is a bit of a concern since I start back work next week.  Any comments would be helpful.

Thanks again!

sroberts

• rbhr Dr Rogerson 6/26/08
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2008, 02:12:41 PM »
Deb,

Fatigue is normal so is quadricep fatigue or shaking. Don't sweat it just keep on trying to strengthen those leg muscles. Do you spend a lot of time on your feet at work? If so you may want to start with a few half days and gradually get into it. I just started training clients again and I'm only doing 2-3 appts per day.

take care,

spencer

deb podany

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2008, 07:53:18 AM »
Hi Spencer,

Thanks so much for your reply.  Definitely relieved my worries.  I am a legal secretary, so while this involves a lot of sitting, there is a lot of jumping up and down also.  Am starting back just 3 days a work right now, so will see how that goes.

Unfortunately, I really don't think my physical therapist (assistant) knows what he is doing.  First, he got me all crazy regarding my leg length discrepancy (which is apparently quite common and works itself out eventually.)  Then, he becomes all concerned that my legs were shaking while doing leg lifts on the machine.  I too suspected this was normal due to muscle weakness and did not experience any pain.  Also, not getting any gait training!

Only have two rehab sessions left than will see my surgeon on August 28th and see if he suggests further rehab.

Deb/Dr. Schmitt/06/16/08

TomBuell

• Right Birmingham Hip Resurfacing 7/1/08
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2008, 08:58:11 AM »
Wow Deb - I had to do a little explaining to my PT about hip resurfacing, but he got it right away and called my surgeon to learn more. I would be concerned if he seemed as clueless as yours. I imagine that if you do any more PT, you will find somebody else?
As for the shaky feeling, I've experienced the same thing. I think its just that the muscles fatigue a little more easily. This is so much different from the strength training I'm used to from my more active days. I look forward to that again eventually, but for now it's just getting those muscles to remember what they're supposed to do.
Good luck -
Tom
RBHR 7/1/08
Dr. Ari Pressman - Pittsburgh

sroberts

• rbhr Dr Rogerson 6/26/08
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2008, 10:13:23 AM »
Deb,

You can do some PT on your own as well. If you can, alternate from an elliptical trainer and stationary bike. Those will engage all the muscles needed to be strengthened. Then some specific PT exercises:

Get one of those elastic exercise bands and tie it into one big loop. One end of the loop is around your waist
and the other is tied to a fixed object. Practice walking three steps forward x 20 alternate leading legs, then go backwards and to each side.

If that isn't clear I can talk you through it and give you some more pt exercises as well. I have a great physical therapist, plus I am exercise physiologist. Email me at magoo451@msn.com and if you'd like to discuss things, I'll give you my phone number.

take care,

spencer

deb podany

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2008, 01:53:23 PM »
Spencer,

I can't thank you enough for your advice.  This is what makes surfacehippy.com such a great site!  I will be e-mailing you some questions.  If you do not receive it today, it is due to fact that I am on the way to our sailboat for the weekend.  Will check and/or send an e-mail to you on Sunday.

Again, thank you so much.  You may be able to clear up some mysterys for me in regards to my physical therapy and progress.

Deb

RHS/Dr. Schmitt

Tarhoo2

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2008, 08:27:28 PM »
Confused,

Most of us have been where you are now.  I'm 48, have had BHR's on both hips in the last 8 months and couldn't be happier.  I'm alternating walking 2-1/2 - 3 miles and biking 35-45 minutes a day and have resumed playing golf, after about 7 years of pain.

Two years ago I saw an orthopaedist who looked at my x-rays and told me it wasn't a matter of whether I needed THR, but rather, a matter of when I would be mentally prepared to do it (basically, the cartilage was completely shot in both hips).  The pain told me I needed to get serious about it, but somehow the idea of THR, knowing that revision(s) -- which seem to be very complicated with THR -- were likely sometime in the future (15-20 years?), left me with a great deal of uncertainty.

So I did what most of us do these days and went on the internet to research THR.  I ended up coming across the Birmingham website, found a certified OS in my area (Nothern Virginia) and consulted him.  It all made perfectly good sense to me and I scheduled my first surgery the day of my first consultation.  Haven't looked back since, other than to remind myself of how much I have to be thankful for.

I hope this is helpful.

Good luck!

Jim

xocy

« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2008, 09:47:10 PM »
You've come to the right place. You will have to have a bone density test to determine if you are good candidate. I'm older than you and had Bilateral Hip Resurfacing on both 7 weeks ago. I played my first round of golf today. It was at an Executive course ( mostly par 3's and a few par 4's), but a tough course not the less. I tired a bit, and thought I would really hurt tonight, but I feel great.

Let us know what part of the world you are in.

Mike
Mike
Bilateral
Dr. Thomas Gross
Left 6/23/08  Right 6/25/08

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat