+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Zumba: Has anyone gone back to it post BHR?  (Read 11703 times)

BeijingBionica

Zumba: Has anyone gone back to it post BHR?
« on: April 01, 2014, 01:59:11 AM »
  I am 11 days post BHR; doing my physio as prescribed and things are going well.  I have always enjoyed dance classes: Zumba, Body Jam etc.  Does anyone have any experience going back to dancing post BHR? If so, how long did they wait until they felt comfortable?

Are there any specific physio that I can incorporate to help develop the muscles and prep them for dancing?  If so, when did you start these?  Any information is much appreciated. 

Thank you...

Juno

Re: Zumba: Has anyone gone back to it post BHR?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 07:35:21 AM »
Hi -- best wishes as you recover!
I was an instructor for many years and had to give up Zumba, jazzercise, and aerobics last year when my OA pain got bad. I'm 49 and in good shape. It's been 8 months since my Right HR and I had my left hip done in December. I have had a great recovery and my range of motion is coming back slow and steady. I have just started going back to Zumba and Jazzercise this past week --- BUT, I am definitely having to modify the moves. Many of the transitions are just too fast and my hips/legs are not ready for the quick transitions. it will come back in time, but realistically I think it's going to take a full year before I can execute full routines without modifying --- think quick mambos, spins and turns.

I hope you too will be back dancing soon :)
Right resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 7/11/13
Left resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 12/11/13

hernanu

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 09:29:21 AM »
Well, I never took Zumba (does look like fun!) but I'm south american and have gone back fully to latin dancing at clubs, parties, while cooking, on the subway stop, (not in the shower at the gym, guys just would not understand).

It's a cultural thing with me, and typically when you dance you want to go all out (otherwise latin people will discreetly ask you to sit, since you're embarrassing the culture). So far it's been countless parties, three weddings, four graduations, one christening and one quinceanera.

My niece was up for a Boston Music award as the best DJ in Boston (placed, but no win), so I have had to support her in her endeavors at the clubs she works.

So both hips have gotten quite the workout in almost four years. Cumbia, Salsa, Merengue, you name it, it's been done. So I can report that the hips are MUCH improved for dance at high RPMs.

I started slowly, but was dancing comfortably at speed at about a year.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

BeijingBionica

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2014, 09:25:52 PM »
 :-* Thanks for your advice both of you. That gives me hope for a future of fun latin dancing.  I just have to be patient. 

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear