+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: 4wks Post ST. Patrick's Day BHR  (Read 2042 times)

lttez

• Dr. brooks RIght hip resurfacing
4wks Post ST. Patrick's Day BHR
« on: April 14, 2014, 01:42:15 PM »
Today marks 4 weeks since my R-hip resurfacing.  I'm still on my 2 crutch restriction, but find it easier to carry things and maneuver with just one.  I have a pedometer app on my phone and keep tabs on my distances.  I've worked myself up to 2 miles, but I do feel a soreness in my whole leg especially at night when I increase my distance.  My incision which is about 9" is basically just a red line with some blotchiness from a little tape allergy.  I don't feel any pain in the joint itself, still working on ROM and soreness of the muscles.  I was told at my pre op that I would not be restricted to any motion, but I've read a lot of post from other hippys saying they were restricted from crossing their leg.  I try to start the motion to cross my leg, like I would put on socks, but don't get too far.  Should I be waiting or slowly try to increase that motion?  All the exercises are going well, except I still have to use my leg lifter one of them.  It's the one while lying supine and trying to laterally moving your leg out to the side without lifting. 
   I am looking forward to my 6wk appt. losing the crutches, and driving.  My wife and I are planning a visit to Philly at the end of May.  This may entail a good bit of walking.  If anybody could put their 2 cents in of where they were at 9 weeks, I would appreciate it.  Thanks, Tom :)

R-hip Resurfacing March 17, 2014
Dr. Brooks, Cleve Clinic

chuckm

Re: 4wks Post ST. Patrick's Day BHR
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2014, 03:10:45 PM »
Hi, I'll chime in to make sure you understand the leg crossing restriction.
What was NOT ok right after surgery is to have the op side knee cross over to the side of the non op side. More precisely when sitting or lying not to take the knee of the op leg and put it over across the other knee.

What was perfectly OK for me right after surgery (and actually a prescribed stretch) was putting the op LOWER leg up on the non op thigh. Many consider this sitting with legs crossed although it is really a figure four. The op femur never crosses over the other femur which is the real restriction.

Chuckm
Left BHR 11/30/12
Hospital for Special Surgery
46 years old

hernanu

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2014, 03:42:22 PM »
It's going to sound trite, but I'd wait if your body feels like you should.

You're just at the beginning, you'll see a lot of improvement, but for me it wasn't uniform - some things improved quickly, others took their time.

I also had some issues with sideways motion, especially lying sideways and bringing it up in the air. My PT and I had some challenges there, but it came along.

The biggest challenge is being patient. You're rehabbing muscle, but most importantly, you're letting bone heal. That won't be hurried along and may be affected if you put too much strain on it. Walking, putting pressure on it (as long as it's not too much) improves bone growth. I was limited to lifting less than 50 lbs until 6 months had passed.

But I could walk as much as I could manage. Typically I walked about 1/4 mile four times per day at the beginning (with crutches), so about a mile each day. That felt right to me.

At nine weeks, I had been working for three weeks, driving about fifty miles per day, walking around (sometimes with a crutch, mostly not) during the work day. I was also in the midst of physical therapy, etc.

If you take care to rest when your body feels right and don't push it, it should be fine. You don't want to have a setback on vacation, so if you accept that there may be times you just want to rest... I'd say go for it.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

whyme

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2014, 06:20:22 PM »
We are all different...
I ditched the crutches (the second one) between weeks 7 and 8. Walking for me was no problem, at 2 months I was doing 8 to 12km per day, basically walked 1-2h every day in 2 or 3 sessions. So on that I was ahead of the pack.
Regarding driving I didn't need it and only started after 8 or 9 weeks, at first it's a bit tight but ok. On this I was behind the average.
Range of motion: irrespective of surgeon rules I didn't feel I wanted to stretch so I didn't. It's only now that I'm starting to do a bit from time to time, and still it feels awkward to be honest. The mobility needed for the daily life generally you should recover naturally week by week, with your daily activities and exercise program.
Your physio will be able to assess if you need to start working more actively on it.
There are weaker areas that will take many months to recover, but for the most part at 9 weeks you will feel pretty good.
Regarding travel, shouldn't be an issue!
Left hip resurfacing (Conserve Plus) 2013-09-04
Dr. De Smet

Beth

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2014, 10:26:41 PM »
Tom,
I found Dr Su's "Guidelines after Hip Resurfacing Surgery" and have been doing his recommended exercises and stretches. They seem extremely reasonable and I feel Dr Brooks would approve. I am already finding the stretches helping.

http://www.hipresurfacingnewyork.com/immediate-postop-instructions.html

Hope you are having a good recovery!
Beth
2/17/2014 RBHR Dr Brooks Cleveland Clinic
52mm cup  46mm head
LBHR planned for 6/19/2015: CANCELLED

Beth

2/17/2014 RBHR Dr Brooks Cleveland Clinic
52mm cup  46mm head
LBHR planned for 6/19/2015: CANCELLED

Advertisements

Recent Posts