+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: My trip to hippy land begins  (Read 8487 times)

sroberts

• rbhr Dr Rogerson 6/26/08
My trip to hippy land begins
« on: June 23, 2008, 08:25:18 PM »
I'm leaving for Madison, WI tomorrow from Arizona. My date with destiny has finally arrived and Dr Rogerson has accepted me for resurfacing on Thursday. I've been active all my life competed and raced in triathlon and duathlon for over 20 years. Although I haven't been able to run or the last 4 years (a bike crash caused the insult to my right hip), I have still been biking, lifting and teaching spinning classes 5 days/wk. Although the constant ache at night reminds me of my daily transgressions from overindulging at the altar of sweat. I have been lurking on this site for some time and have decided to come out of the cold (or the hot as it is in the desert today). Thanks to all who contribute here and I hope to add some insight or at least some motivation for folks in the very near future.

The recuperation and rehab period will probably be just as tough on my wife (if not tougher), because I make a lousy patient. I'll keep you updated and be happy to answer any questions.

thanks,

spencer roberts

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: My trip to hippy land begins
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2008, 08:31:10 PM »
Hi Spencer

Glad you came out of the cold.  That way we can all wish you Good Luck!

Dr. Rogerson is a wonderful hip resurfacing surgeon.  Since you are in good shape and Dr. Rogerson has a great rehab program, let's hope you sail thru and won't be a lousy patient.

You will have to be slowed down for a bit - but in a few weeks, you will be on your way to recovery. 

Maybe you will be one of the surface hippies that returns to triathlon.  A handful of others have.

We will look forward to hear how you do after surgery and hope you will be active again.  I will looking forward to some photos of you biking and running again.

Be a good patient!!!!  It's not that hard!  You have time to dream about what you want to be doing next summer.

Pat

Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Big Bill

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2008, 08:12:48 AM »
Way to go ....I am scheduled for resurfacing on July 9th... please keep in touch...  you are welcome to email me personally about your ongoing adventure into Hippyland Best of luck !

Big Bill

sroberts

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2008, 01:39:29 PM »
Bill and Pat,

Thank you both. I'll send a report soon. We're leaving for the airport soon. Long travel day.

take care,

spencer

sroberts

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2008, 05:21:45 PM »
Hey everyone,

It's Monday afternoon in beautiful downtown Madison, Wisconsin. I had surgery last Thursday and discharged to the hip hab on Saturday morning. I've had several PT session and experienced my first water therapy this morning. I am down to walking with one crutch and have taken several walking ventures downtown with my wife for a few lunches and dinners. The only issue is with swelling in the upper thigh. It's not painful but just contributes to tightness. But everyday gets better. I can now lay flat on my back with no pain.

I can't say enough about Dr. Rogerson and his staff. They are the tops. We'll be headed back to Tucson Wednesday evening. I can give you more details if you'd like.

take care,

spencer

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2008, 05:40:10 PM »
Hi Spencer

Congratulations you your new hip!

Glad to hear you are doing so well. 

If you care to write more of a story, just send it to me and I will post it on the website.  You can also post it here too.

I hope you continue to have a quick and easy recovery and your trip back to Tucson goes well.

Best of Luck.

Pat
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Big Bill

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2008, 09:21:26 PM »
Hey Spencer----way to go !!!  How was the water session?  I am still doing my water aerobics class 3 days a week --- resurfacing surgery is July 9th ! How do they cover your incision area? What can you do in the water?  How does it feel? Please post some info on the water therapy. It gave me back my high activity level, along with swimming. I know how important it can be. Congrats...you are now an official Hippie !! Stay in touch....shoot me an email now and then!   

Big Bill

sroberts

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2008, 12:40:54 PM »
I'm now back in Tucson from Madison. The trip was definitely tough on me. But I bounced back this morning and am going to see a PT here this afternoon. I've been cleared to begin starting slowly on the elliptical trainer.
Pain from the swelling was considerable after the plane trip but is much less now. Looking forward to improving a little each day.

take care,

spencer

sroberts

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2008, 01:48:38 PM »
Hey it's me again,

It's Saturday, July 5th and it's hotter than hades here in Tucson.I'm 9 days post op. I Just watched the first stage of the Tour de France...my favorite bike race and the world's toughest endurance event, 23 days of racing over 2000 miles with only two rest days.

I did the elliptical trainer for 10 minutes yesterday and some pt exercises. I have virtually no pain except for early morning and it's still hard to get in a comfortable position to sleep. I'm using 1 crutch and when I'm walking or exercising I'm not using anything. Just going very easy, slowly and letting my body tell me when to ease up. Still taking tylenol in the morning and evening, celebrex-1x/day, iron 2x/day and lovanox injections at night. The support hose are ridiculous looking but I take em off at night.

I'm icing the hip at least 4-6x/day and the swelling is slowly receding.

I'm just about to go get some pt in.

take care,

spencer

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2008, 03:31:42 PM »
Hi Spencer

Sounds like you are doing well with your recovery.  Things will get better in few weeks.  Good to hear you are not needing heavy pain meds.

I took heprin shots to my tummy for 14 days and I felt those sorta buzzed me and kept me from sleeping well.  Once I stopped them, I slept much better.

Glad to hear you are on one crutch. Stay cool!  Good Luck.

Pat
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

TomBuell

• Right Birmingham Hip Resurfacing 7/1/08
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2008, 04:33:51 PM »
Spencer - Great to hear your story. I'm tantalized to hear about your rehab activities. I didn't think you could go into the water for a while (since we have a pool and I would love to do some water exercises) , and my doctor has ordered me to stay on crutches (20 percent pressure) for 3 weeks. He all but told me that he's just trying to slow me down. I'm 6'5" and (formerly) athletic.
Good luck. I'll be curious to hear how it goes.
- Tom

sroberts

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2008, 05:52:43 PM »
Hey Tom,

The water PT at the hip hab is part of the program. They seal the incision in tagaderm(think sticky saran wrap).
I was instructed not to go into my own pool until the incision is totally healed (scab free). I'm not going to chance infection but once the incision is clearly healed, I'm in the water.

take care,

spencer

TomBuell

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2008, 11:24:41 PM »
Thanks Spencer. Hang in there. Keep us posted. I think we can all motivate each other.
- Tom

Big Bill

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2008, 11:37:31 PM »
Hey Sencer and Tom....Thanks for your replies!!! Goin' in on 7/9 .... the "Big Day" for "Big Bill" . Staying in the gym and the pool till the last day!!!  Did  a  good 2hr weight training session on Tue. & Fri.... 1hr water aerobics and swimming laps on Wed. & Thur. I will be back in the gym on Sunday nite and finish up in the pool on Mon.& Tues--Sad to say... that will be my last time to hit it good for a while! Getting tons of support from Family ,Friends, Co-workers, Gym & Pool rats...LOL out there from all the Hippies, too !!!  THANKS !!! Glad you all are doin' well... I hope to follow your lead...keep the progress reports coming thru!  

Big Bill

sroberts

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2008, 12:23:43 PM »
Big Bill,

You'll do great. The support is so important. Make sure you get some good easy massage post-op, it's been a key for my recovery also get some gel ice packs really helps with swelling and tightness.

Tom,
My rehab exercise for the past two days has been as follows:
10 min on LifeFitness elliptical trainer at level 3
With a green exercise band attached around my waist at one end and a pole at the other, perform:
---20x(3steps forward/3 steps back)
---20x(3 steps backward/3 steps forward)
---20x(3steps sideways/3 steps sideways back to start)
---20x(same as above but facing other way, leading with opposite side)

20x ball squats careful not to go more than 90 degrees (I'm not even close to 90 yet)

takes about 20-30 min to complete then it's time for lunch  :)

TomBuell

« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2008, 02:45:03 PM »
Hey guys - Why don't we post all of our messages to each other in this topic so we don't have to keep searching around to all of our various messages? That way we can follow you progress Bill, and also post our own PT regimens. Sound good?
Spencer, that sounds like a good program you have. I really look forward to getting back at it. I didn't do as well as either of you guys to keep the training up before surgery. I got too discouraged by the pain and lost my motivation. This will help me start back up again.
For now I'm still doing the PT program they gave me at the hospital - some reclining, some seated, some standing. About a dozen lifts, butt crunches, extensions - 2x per day. I figure I'll get more serious in a week or so.
Power to you all - Tom

Big Bill

« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2008, 11:59:11 PM »
Spencer .... My wife and I were talking about the ice therapy just this evening...thanks for the reminder about the gel packs ! Good news about your progress...the gentle massage sounds interesting ...can you elaborate? Thanks , Big Bill

sroberts

« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2008, 11:56:43 AM »
Big Bill,

Two days and counting! It'll come and go very quickly. Regarding massage: Have the person massaging you (for me it was my wife) start at the foot and work their way up to the hip with gentle kneading with fingertips and palms. Even massage the incision in small circles very gently. Ice right after the massage. Massage should feel good with no pain.

Good Luck!

spencer

sroberts

« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2008, 10:20:50 AM »
Hey everyone,

Just a quick update. I'm 3 weeks post op today(RBHR). I am rid of the TED hose today which is fantastic because walking in Arizona in July is hot enough. I did my first stationary bike ride yesterday (35 minutes) at the PT clinic. I am walking 2 miles/day with a cane handy but mostly just carrying it. Only slight swelling around the incision, no pain. My right leg has atrophied compared to the left but I'm sure the strength will come back.
I'm still icing after exercise and resting during the late afternoon. My early mornings have been devoted to watching the Tour de France which motivates me to get back on the bike. I am also doing acupuncture and massage which are providing beneficial results. My goal is to be back training folks after week 4.
If anyone has any questions especially around exercise please don't hesitate to ask.

spencer

TomBuell

« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2008, 10:30:16 AM »
Thanks Spencer. I'm a week behind you so I'm interested to hear how you're doing. My doc has me on crutches and 20 pct pressure for another week (probably because I'm 6'5" - 260 lbs) but I'm looking forward to getting more active and resuming training for rowing. I also have some atrophy in my right leg.
I'm curious - what pain meds are you taking, if any? I still have some soreness in the incision area.
Good luck - Tom

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Today at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
Yesterday at 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal