+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: How Much PT is Right  (Read 3619 times)

Susan in South Florida

How Much PT is Right
« on: June 24, 2008, 10:04:54 PM »
Hello.  I'm 15 days post op and totally perplexed regarding PT, as I am receiving  conflicting therapy plans from my md and physical therapist.  Here is the gist:  The physical therapist wants me to go slowly, i.e. no pain, plenty of rest, slowly increasing exercise.  My MD wants me to push past the point of pain and to walk, walk walk.  I'm on a cane with minimal pain at least until I began the exercises the MD suggested.  It will be a pain pill night tonight I can tell. 
Please, does anyone know the correct protocol?  I'm beginning to come to the conclusion to just do what my body tells me is right.  Thanks for your reply.  Susan in South Florida

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: How Much PT is Right
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2008, 10:17:04 PM »
Hi Susan

I am not a doctor, but I know most doctors will tell you not to push yourself.  My doctor, Dr. De Smet that has done over 3000 hip resurfacings, says  "Listen to your body"    This is not normal PT or training, the "no pain, no gain" rule does not work well for hip resurfacing.

My doctor told me to walk, walk and walk - but not to the point it would hurt.  You will have plenty of time to push yourself, but you are only 2 weeks post op.  I was able to walk almost 1 mile a day at 15 days post op with one crutch  -  but I did not have any excessive pain after I did.  My suggestion is to listen to your PT and to your body.  If it hurts, back off.  You don't want to be taken a bunch of pain meds if you don't have to.

I don't know what your doctor was suggesting or maybe you might have misunderstood his suggestion.  It is your body and I have read hundreds and hundreds of recovery stories.  No doctor normally tells someone to push so hard it hurts - not at your early stage of recovery.

I would back off and listen to your body.  Some people never even did formal PT during their recovery and ended up in the same place as those that did a lot.  The body will heal and you can't push it.

Good Luck.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

john

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2008, 11:40:29 PM »
From another perspective
I'm 59, a former runner now an elliptical machine user and bike rider
I had hip #1 done in late December and # 2 done almost 7 weeks ago
My Dr is conservative
both times I was off the affected hip for 6 weeks
toe touch weight only, used a walker and crutches
I did some arm exercises and the half dozen PT exercises that are in the discharge booklet
tried to walk around a lot during the day and after the second surgery I walkwed out to the end of the driveway 10 times  day- it's about 50 yards long
I got off crutches last friday but I'd been gradually putting more weight on it the final week
Sunday I  did 10 minutes on the elliptical with low resistance and narrow length of stride
Yesterday I walked in the warm therapy pool for an hour and "ran" in the water for 20 minutes with the aqua jogger belt
today I did a little mowing and raking, then I did 15 minutes on the elliptical
after that I stretched a lot and was even able to touch my toes and do a yoga plow pose
I feel pretty good tonight, legs are tired but no pain
this is the same procedure I followed after the first surgery and I was probably 85% recovered, in my estimation, by the time of my second surgery
good luck, don't hurry yourself too much, you'll get there

Big Bill

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2008, 11:12:37 AM »
Hi ....although everyone is different in the rehab process ...being conservative is probably the best  ;) . There are alot of basic excercises you can do that will "activate" your muscles "memory". Thanks to Pat , this site had a plethora of info on just about anything (Time to take a bow ,Pat )  ;D ! Walking is great...if you like to get wet ...get in the pool ! You need to do something ...that is why you had the procedure! Do not over do it ...just do it !   ::)

Big Bill --C.A.S.H.   8)

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat