+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: walking the golf course  (Read 42500 times)

Jerry C.

walking the golf course
« on: May 27, 2014, 11:22:29 PM »
Played my second 18 hole round today 4 weeks post op RT hip.  First round was riding a golf cart.  Second round I walked the 18 holes and used a push cart instead of carrying my clubs.  Not back to the seventies yet but 80 and 82 are not too terrible.

Jerry C.

Re: walking the golf course
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2014, 06:27:14 PM »
responses so far have been underwhelming.  Played and walked another 18 today.  So nice to be out there!  No distance but a respectable 81.

Tim Bratten

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2014, 07:33:31 PM »
Not much of a golfer myself, but I'm happy to hear you're out there doing what you like!
Tim
Botched LHR by Dr. Vilicich 06-17-2010 revised by Koen De Smet 02-14-2012
RHR Koen De Smet 02-05-2014

Miguelito

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2014, 10:42:29 AM »
Hi Jerry. I had actually typed up a response several days ago, congratulating you on an impressive feat (something I could not have done by a country mile). But I deleted it because I couldn't in good conscience send it without adding a cautionary note. Something along the lines of, are you sure your doctor is okay with this, maybe that's not such a good idea...something like that. Walking is great for the hip, just not too much. Perhaps the golf swing isn't the worst for a new HR (I don't really know) but is playing (and walking, pushing a cart) eighteen a good idea at four weeks? Probably not.

Everyone wants this board to be a nice friendly place. I deleted my post because I didn't want to say anything negative, and though the vast majority of people here have successful outcomes, some don't. And it is sometimes because of an accident or even sometimes because they did something they should not have (most often it is neither, just bad luck I guess). Other people probably were a little torn about replying to your post as I was. Impressed at your feat, but think you probably shouldn't have done it, and unwilling to lend their implied blessing to it by congratulating you on it, and reluctant to say something negative about activity that is borderline (not crazily out there or anything).

I know you have an upcoming surgery and you only have a little window here to get any golfing in, but I just wanted to share my thoughts and perhaps that of others.

I wish you nothing but the best in your recovery and your upcoming surgery.

Mike

RHR April 2012.
LHR March 2014.

Both Biomet Magnum/Recap 54/48, by Dr. Thomas Gross.

Jerry C.

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2014, 12:41:09 PM »
 Thank you very much for your response Mike.  I am amazed at the differences in restrictions between surgeons following surgery.  My doc is the only surgeon on the list of docs on this site in the state of Idaho.  He is very highly regarded by both other docs and patients alike.  I think I waited about 6 months just to see him.  He was trained by Mcminn in England in 2006 and has done about 600 resurfacings to date.  I really did not expect him to give me the full green light to golf so soon.  When he told me I had no restrictions I was not sure if he tells all his patients that soon or if he felt by my x-rays and progress so far with PT I was ready.  I do not want to do anything harmful or potentially damaging to my new hip and would never have golfed before given his blessing.  Played 18 again yesterday and walked the course.  New hip felt much better than the bad one.  Still can not hit ball out of my shadow but an 81 is ok.  Jerry

Miguelito

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2014, 01:13:22 PM »
Jerry,

I would have weighed in on my own doctors restrictions regarding golf (in general he is conservative out to six months, due to the risk of fracturing the neck of the femur in particular, I think) but I just don't recall. I would guess that it is probably after the initial six week check-up, provided all is well. But that's just a guess.

I also have it in my head (but not sure from where) that you should avoid walking the course for six months or so, but that one might be hearsay, and probably over-restrictive.

I am glad you did not take offense at my post! Perhaps this will spur some discussion on when it is advisable to golf, walk the course, carry your own bag, etc.

Mike
RHR April 2012.
LHR March 2014.

China Lady

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2014, 09:17:20 PM »
................and would never have golfed before given his blessing

this is the "American way" of thinking. I remember a lady with a law suite against McDonald because it was not written on the cup that she could burn her mouth if she orders hot coffee.
..... I will find out

Jerry C.

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2014, 11:06:42 PM »
not quite sure what to say about the American way of thinking comment.  I waited until my doc said it was ok to play golf.  I started out conservatively at the driving range and than worked my way up to swinging easy and hitting normal shots.  Walking I have been told is good for you and walking on soft grass at a slow place I do not feel is putting a lot of undue stress on my body.  If anything I was doing was causing pain I would stop doing it.  I am not running or jumping on my hip.  My golfing days are done for now since my next surgery is a week from tomorrow.  Mikes comments are greatly appreciated.  China Ladys not so much.  Jerry

oldsoccerplayer

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2014, 07:59:32 AM »
Jerry,
I think maybe you misinterpreted China Lady's comment. I read it as the perspective of a non-US resident commenting on the litigious nature of patient / provider relations in the US. Maybe not completely relevant to the discussion here but an interesting side note.
I'm also impressed that you're where you are after 4 weeks, that does seem like a very quick turnaround. Good luck with the next one.
BioMet Left Hip Resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 07/2013

Jerry C.

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2014, 09:14:47 AM »
 thanks for your reply oldsoccerplayer.  My interpretation of her comment was that I was putting full responsibility on my decision to try golfing again  squarely on my docs shoulders and that if I had a negative outcome than I would blame the doc.  The decision to golf or do any sport or physical activity ultimately rests with the patient.  When he or she feels ready to give it a shot with the docs ok than whats wrong with that?  Who else are you going to listen to besides your own body and your doc?  The hot coffee comment smacks of not having the common sense of an average person.

China Lady

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2014, 09:58:40 AM »
Dear Jerry
you got it! it is your responsibility for 100%. nothing else was meant by my response. sometimes it is a difference between what you write, feel and what is received at the other end.
"or the other way around".
if you feel good to play 18 holes at 4 weeks after surgery, go and do it!
.............. if something goes wrong don't blame your doc! because he told you to do so. we human beings love to hear what we like to hear and dismiss what we don't like.
..... I will find out

Miguelito

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2014, 10:45:40 AM »
Hi China Lady,

I disagree with some of your comment, though I think you kid of threw it off (both of your comments). If a doctor who has done hundreds (or thousands) of these things tells you can do something, then I think I can rely on that to some degree (though I wouldn't sue him afterwards). On the other hand, if he advises against something, but if it "feels good go and do it" seems pretty stupid too (or at least overly simplistic).

And you know I'm pretty offended by your first comment. I have had two major (at least to me) medical misdiagnoses that cost me years (in one case almost two decades) of pain and suffering and it never occurred to me to sue, or attempt to sue.

Mike
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 10:47:49 AM by Miguelito »
RHR April 2012.
LHR March 2014.

chuckm

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2014, 11:51:47 AM »
You all should relax. JerryC is just fine. I was told to wait three months before beginning any strengthening exercises and then six months before trying any impact stuff. But my friend went to the same surgeon as me, and for the same surgery. Like John C. he was told after only 3 weeks that he no longer had any restrictions and could do anything he could tolerate.

And that surgeon is German!

We are all different so relax.

China Lady, sounds like you didn't mean it the way you wrote it, but the translation of your words is that Americans are fools. I am an American. And you should actually research that lawsuit because it has merit. It wasn't just someone sipping on coffee. The coffee had been prepared and served dangerously hot (way more than your average cup) and when some spilled it permanently scarred the consumer for life in the lap area.

It is this freedom Americans have to sue for these things so we can confront those who are conducting business recklessly. It is the tiny fraction of frivolous lawsuits that get attention and sometimes have others form opinions about the country and its citizens.

Chuckm
Left BHR 11/30/12
Hospital for Special Surgery
46 years old

Jerry C.

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2014, 08:12:58 PM »
 Thank yor the reply chuckm.  What you said about differences in restrictions was exactly what I was saying in an earlier post.  Thanks for telling me that info.  Jerry

Miguelito

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2014, 05:12:15 PM »
Chuck,
Relaxing is always good advice. Done!
Mike
RHR April 2012.
LHR March 2014.

obxpelican

« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2014, 01:59:36 PM »
It's always been Pat's opinion that you should ALWAYS FOLLOW YOUR DOCTORS ADVICE so, if Jerry's doctor says he's ok to golf @ 4 weeks post-op that is who he should listen to.

Now, I must admit I've had some lively discussions with people who ignored their doctors advice and gone ahead and started training for marathons, to me that's idiotic to do and can only lead to poor results, maybe not every time but overall the numbers are going to catch up to some.

Only your doctor knows your case, he knows your bone density, he knows the device and how it was implanted, listen to him if you want good results.

Doctor Gross recommends 6 weeks before golfing, to me he's very conservative but you cannot argue with his results, you'll find very few revisions or problems with him considering the many thousands he's done over the years.

So, Jerry, congrats on the great results, wish you well, hope you go back to scratch golfing soon, you will just listen to your doctor. 

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

Jerry C.

« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2014, 02:37:38 PM »
Thanks Chuck.  My left hip will be done June 9th so I will be off the course for awhile now.  Golfing on 2 new hips should be interesting!  My spine is involved with anklosing spondylitis so my turning ability is not so good.  Scratch golf might be too ambitious a goal with my physical condition and age but I will try my best to get back to the 70s anyway!  Jerry

obxpelican

« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2014, 09:23:32 AM »
Dr. Gross usually will allow golfing @ 6 weeks post-op, I waited 7 weeks on mine but I probably could have played @ 4 weeks.

Dr. Gross did not want high impact until after 6 months although I think he would prefer a year.  Prior to 6 months patients stand a good chance of femoral neck fracture, in 2008 Dr. Gross said he had not had any FNFs after 6 months.  Golf would not generally cause a FNF and Dr. Gross generally likes people to walk as far as their body will allow, he uses walking for rehab.

Of course my surgery was 2008 so my information could be dated but it's to the best of my knowledge.  I might drop Lee an email to double check.

Chuck

Jerry,

I would have weighed in on my own doctors restrictions regarding golf (in general he is conservative out to six months, due to the risk of fracturing the neck of the femur in particular, I think) but I just don't recall. I would guess that it is probably after the initial six week check-up, provided all is well. But that's just a guess.

I also have it in my head (but not sure from where) that you should avoid walking the course for six months or so, but that one might be hearsay, and probably over-restrictive.

I am glad you did not take offense at my post! Perhaps this will spur some discussion on when it is advisable to golf, walk the course, carry your own bag, etc.

Mike
Chuck
8-6-08

chuckm

« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2014, 10:55:17 AM »
Prior to 6 months patients stand a good chance of femoral neck fracture,

Chuck, I'm all for being cautious but I don't think your statement about neck fracture is true or accurate. The incidence of femoral neck fracture before six months for all resurfacing patients (good and bad surgeons) is about 2% for women and 1% for men. Most FNF's are associated with poor surgery. About half are associated with notching of the femoral neck and most of the rest are associated with the femoral component being placed in varus instead of valgus.

The few that fracture their hips in spite of good surgery are the few who do really stupid stuff like performing heavy weight squats every day, are in car accidents, or fall from a bicycle.

So if you follow your (experienced) doctor's advice, I don't think femoral neck fracture is an issue at all.

Chuckm

Left BHR 11/30/12
Hospital for Special Surgery
46 years old

obxpelican

« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2014, 11:11:28 AM »
This is a quote from a Dr. Gross chat.  This was a competitive dancers question about returning to her activites.  http://www.surfacehippy.info/grosschat93008.php

"You may return to competitive dancing gradually at 6 months. At that point bone ingrowth should be 90% into your components. The femoral neck has recovered from the surgery and will not fracture and your hip ligaments have healed to approximately 80% of their normal strength. At one year all of these are up to 100%. If you try to return too early, you have a higher risk of complications."

The reason that we do not have more FNF are because most doctors do not recommend high impact activities, so while your stats may be correct it's because doctors have been cautious over the years.  It takes up to 6 months for the femoral neck to fully recover and thus be strong enough for high impact activities. 

As I stated earlier, Dr. Gross IMHO would love people to wait a year, so, yes, I do follow my doctor's recommendations. 

Chuck

Prior to 6 months patients stand a good chance of femoral neck fracture,

Chuck, I'm all for being cautious but I don't think your statement about neck fracture is true or accurate. The incidence of femoral neck fracture before six months for all resurfacing patients (good and bad surgeons) is about 2% for women and 1% for men. Most FNF's are associated with poor surgery. About half are associated with notching of the femoral neck and most of the rest are associated with the femoral component being placed in varus instead of valgus.

The few that fracture their hips in spite of good surgery are the few who do really stupid stuff like performing heavy weight squats every day, are in car accidents, or fall from a bicycle.

So if you follow your (experienced) doctor's advice, I don't think femoral neck fracture is an issue at all.

Chuckm
Chuck
8-6-08

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM