+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: 5/16/2014, Birmingham Hip, Dr. Brooks, Cleveland Clinic  (Read 15705 times)

dfox

Hello, My name is Dave, I'm 52 and have enjoyed an active life style including running, mountain biking, weight training and recreational sports.

First, I would like to say a huge thanks and give a big hug to Ms. Walter for all the time and effort she has put into this web site. By studying this site and a few others I quickly become comfortable with the idea of hip resurfacing and determined the doctor I wanted to perform it.

I visited 2 orthopedic surgeons prior to Dr. Brooks and both said I was going to need a total hip replacement but didn't mention hip resurfacing as an option. I stumbled on hip resurfacing by accident while researching running after a total hip replacement on the internet.

Dr. Brooks and his team and the Cleveland Clinic were exceptional from the initial consultation all the way through being discharged 2 days after surgery.

My story is very similar to others so I won't go into details unless someone has specific questions. All seems to be going well so far.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 09:47:15 AM by dfox »
RBHR, 5/2014, Dr. Brooks, Cleveland Clinic

hernanu

Re: 2 weeks post Birmingham Hip, Dr. Brooks, Cleveland Clinic
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2014, 01:30:53 PM »
Congrats and welcome Dave!

You had bilateral done all at once? Tough to do, but once done, you're done.

Take it easy but work hard... every hippy does.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

dfox

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2014, 08:45:22 AM »
Thanks for the encouragement hernanu. Only needed to have my right hip done. Everything is going really well so far. Feeling good and getting around well on crutches. I'm doing the exercises the clinic gave me, walking and riding a stationary bike.  I'm using ice and Tylenol for the pain. So far I'm very pleased I decided to have my hip resurfaced.  I'm looking forward to long pain free walks with my dogs.

Jerry C.

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2014, 06:30:22 PM »
good to hear of your progress!  I am a little more than 4 weeks post op.  Playing golf again although a bit distance challenged!  Walked the course though which felt great.

Beth

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2014, 09:41:20 PM »
Best wishes for a GREAT recovery from a fellow Dr Brooks patient.
Slow and steady. The best advice!
Beth
2/17/2014 RBHR Dr Brooks Cleveland Clinic
52mm cup  46mm head
LBHR planned for 6/19/2015: CANCELLED

dfox

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2014, 02:36:08 PM »
Thanks Jerry C and Beth.

Is it normal to feel worried about damaging the new hip? I am following the Doc's instructions but I worry that I could knock the cup loose or damage the femoral neck by putting more than 75% of my weight on it.

dfox

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2014, 08:00:45 AM »
After reading more on this website I am much less concerned about damaging the new hip. The aches and pains are are just muscle and tendons that have experienced some major trauma. I guess I was just a little paranoid because I really want this to go smoothly so I can get back to normal. Oh yeah...I will need to get back to work also.

hernanu

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2014, 12:13:02 PM »
I think you just need to settle in for a long stretch. You'll see great progress, but along with that will be setbacks every now and then. My last real setback was at about 9 or 10 months, when my hip started hurting intermittently for about a couple of weeks.

I called the surgeon and they said to call back if it persisted for longer. After those weeks, it went away never to return. You should consider and report anything that you feel, but all of these will hopefully be something that passes into memory.

So patience with the process and your body is the best thing to do.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

dfox

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2014, 09:33:52 AM »
Thanks hernanu will do. It's been 3 weeks now since the surgery. The recovery process has been going great.  I can get in and out of the car or bed with much less pain now. My hip is getting more flexible and getting some strength back. I'm able to do more reps on the physical therapy excersizes. I can sleep on my nonsurgical side some and almost my surgical side. I've been riding the stationary bike for 30 minutes and upper body only weight training (while seated). I was able to stop taking the narcotics a week ago. Still taking Tylenol and icing frequently.

My 2 big dogs don't get it though. I would take them for a long walk in the woods about every other day. Now they only get to go a couple times a week. They really don't understand what my problem is.  Can't wait until I can start walking them again.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2014, 10:04:54 AM by dfox »

obxpelican

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2014, 10:38:32 PM »
We have lots of happy surface hippys of Dr. Brooks.  Dr. Brooks is a skilled surgeon and he has really proven that over the last few years.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

Staggerwing

Re: 5/16/2014, Birmingham Hip, Dr. Brooks, Cleveland Clinic
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2014, 10:56:17 PM »
I'm 8 months post RBHR with Dr. Brooks.  Overall, it has been terrific!  I had a minor setback a couple months ago.  Basically, I overdid it mowing and lifting a few things that I probably shouldn't have done.  No immediate pain but woke up with sciatic type pain to where I could barely get my socks on.  This persisted for a few weeks so I called Phil.  He pointed out it was not my hip and if it continued I needed to see a doctor.  A few days later it went away and I'm back on track.
I don't think about it much anymore.  I try to alternate between cycling and walking. 
You may have a few minor setbacks along the way but if you do what Dr. Brooks says, you will be fine. 
Nathan
LBHR, Dr. Brooks, Euclid, Ohio,  11/8/13

dfox

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2014, 10:44:25 AM »
Thanks for the encouragement Staggerwing.  I'm now 9 weeks post op and am very pleased with the progress. Last week I returned to work and was able to work a 10 hour shift each day. I'm an avionics technician and my job involves standing and walking on concrete, climbing stairs and ladders, squatting, kneeling, and crawling into tight spaces. My hip was tired by the end of the shift but I had very little pain. I haven't needed to take any pain medication for a couple weeks. I've been pretty faithful with the physical therapy and have been walking quite a bit. I'm beginning to be able to sleep on both sides which helps me sleep much better. I can now cross my leg when putting on my shoe.  The pre op joint pain I had is completely gone.  So far, I'm very glad I decided to have the Birmingham hip resurfacing performed by Dr. Brooks.   

dfox

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2014, 10:32:36 PM »
11 weeks post op and went mountain biking for the first time since the surgery yesterday. My wife went also for her first mountain biking experience ever. We went to Brown County State Park and rode 12 miles on the easier trails. Took it easy, didn't want to risk crashing. My hip was pain free and my legs felt good. It was so nice to be out in the woods riding again. Today we went road biking in another park. I'm so glad I didn't wait to have my hip resurfaced. My activity level had only been restricted for about 9 months prior to the surgery so my conditioning hasn't suffered much.

Manofword

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2014, 08:48:16 AM »
Dr. Brooks is an extremely skilled surgeon and I would highly recommend him to anyone. I could not be happier with my results. I hardly ever give my hip a thought. Most times I forget that I had it done. Just competed in USA Triathlon National Championships 21 mos post op. Your dogs will Soon be wondering if they can keep up with you! Lol
Phil. 4:13  -  RBHR Dr. Brooks 11-28-12 Euclid Hospital/Cleve. Clinic (48/56) (no more pain!)

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear