+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: 6 year report  (Read 4080 times)

John C

6 year report
« on: June 23, 2014, 03:10:17 AM »
Hi all,
Just wanted to give a brief happy report at my six year anniversary of my resurfacing with Dr Gross. X-rays are perfect, and metal ion numbers are low (between 1.0 and 1.5 as I remember).
All is well, and I continue to be very happy with my new hip. I remain pretty active on it. Winter is skiing hard for 6-8 hours a day, seven days a week; and summer is tennis every morning, and then windsurfing in high wind and waves all afternoon every day. I am completely unaware of my new hip during my sports, which is great.
There are a few details that I have come to realize will never be quite as good as the original. When I do deep squats or lunges, I can still feel some soft tissue issues where the muscles were cut; not really pain, but not quite as strong as the other side, and some uncomfortable sensations as though some of the muscles are weak and are binding or grinding on each other. Probably some scar tissue that never got worked out. There are also some small pieces of heterotrophic bone formation in the soft tissue, which would explain some of the discomfort, and possibly the binding and grinding discomfort. Sleeping is good, though occasionally I still reach for the pillow between the knees. Walking and hiking are great. I am stiff after sitting for awhile, but pretty much in line with the rest of my 63 year old body.
My other hip is starting to get pretty sore, so I am probably looking at getting it done within the next year or two, and plan on going back to Dr Gross for another resurfacing.
Best of luck to all the other hippies out there, and hopefully I will be able to give this same happy report for many years to come.
John
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

Jason0411

• Hotelier and Volunteer Lifeboat Crewman.
Re: 6 year report
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2014, 04:08:38 AM »
Great to hear you are doing so well. I think start up stiffness is standard though my brother had his done 14 years ago and said that if he sits too long it takes a few steps to loosen off. Apart from that he said he doesnt notice it.
RBHR Mr McMinn 6th December 2011.
Tripped and crushed head under cap 31st January 2012.
Self repairing.

evant

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2014, 03:04:24 PM »
Glad you're doing well.

I love your winter and summer activity schedule.

I'm sure there's much happiness and smiles each day.

Long may it continue.
rbhr 3 january 2013
mr ronan treacy
royal orthopaedic hospital, birmingham, england

lgbran

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2014, 05:22:22 AM »
Great to hear and gives us newbies hope. hoping to get into tennis or racketball down the track.its reassuring to know that you can really hammer your BHR without any ill effects in due  course. It's great to be active 😄
RBHR 11/11/13 by Stephen McMahon @
The Avenue Hospital Melbourne Australia

shoraztri

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2014, 05:08:33 PM »
Hi ,
Many THANKS  for the 6 year report. With all that high activity , its great to see you doing well and having very little issues. I am due for a LHBR on 7 July , and are an intense Tri boy, so this gives me lots of "get up and go " so to speak . I am a young 62yr old. Lets hope I can get a few more kms and years out of this op.
Cheers , Kiwi , from down under. :D :)
LHBHR. 7 JULY 2014. DR. HUGH BLACKLEY. SOUTHERN CROSS HOSPITAL, NORTH SHORE, NZ.
Fem Head 50.  Cup Size 56.  D.O.B. 03/1952.

toby

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2014, 05:50:36 PM »
John, I've always enjoyed reading your posts and appreciated your sharing of knowledge and experience. I'm delighted to hear how well you're doing after six years (and at 62 years young-I'm 61 also going strong!) and also respect  your sensible realism.
Here's to the next six years.
Toby
Lhr-Adept-Prof Cobb 30-1-10
LHR Adept-Prof Cobb-30-1-10

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2014, 06:07:17 AM »
Excellent John!! So glad that its workingwell for you!! We all have to realise that as great as these devices are your healthy natural hip will always be better. I have come to that realisation however I'm far far better off now than when my left hip had bone on bone!!! My right side needs doing soon though.....
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2014, 07:24:57 PM »
Congratulations John.  Looking forward to the 12 year report!

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

23109VC

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2014, 02:39:33 AM »
If you can ski 6 to 8 hours a day seven days a week at 63 years of age then you are one badass  guy!!   Maybe that hip resurfacing is helping you because now you are bionic!!

I am at three years post op and I am only 42, I can only hope that I am as active is you 20 years from now you-  are an inspiration to us all keep up the good work!!
Sean
Dr. Gross- Left Hip - 2/23/11, Right Hip 7/19/23

hernanu

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2014, 09:07:17 PM »
John, you've always been one of my guiding lights here, I'm happy that you're doing well and always value your observations.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal