+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Two Years Today  (Read 6024 times)

Mike D

Two Years Today
« on: August 08, 2014, 03:17:56 PM »
Hi Hippies,
It's two years today since my THR at Royal Orthopaedic Hospital, Birmingham.
The two years have flown past-probably the same for many of you, who have been given a new lease of life from hip surgery.
This site remains a constant source of encouragement-I've said it before, but I'm not sure where I'd be if I had not found it before my surgery- thanks to anyone who has passed on their kind words.
There are lots of days now where I don't think about hips at all. From finding this site six months pre-op, to around  18 months post-op, it was on my mind continually so it feels good to just not consider it any more.
It doesn't hurt at all, I do my job in construction with no problems, I can sleep on it fine so It's all good so far.
I can honestly say that I can't tell I've had it done.
The two bits of advice I'd tell anyone is-
If you need hip surgery but aren't a candidate for HR- don't worry about having to have a THR.
It's a great alternative- there are two people I know about here with THR's that are doing everything, and probably more, than they were pre-op.
Tim Bratten is rock climbing and really pushing his THR with no problems and Anna who had all kinds of problems getting hers, is cycling and skiing, as far as I know with no issues.
I was on the verge of giving up motorcycling but that doesn't hurt anymore so I've got a bigger bike!
Second thing, just don't worry about how long it takes you to recover.
I've read many posts here with people ditching the crutches early because someone else has-don't do it.
Keep the crutches till you're told not to use them and use the stick until you can walk without limping- even then, just hang on to it for a couple of months to use when you've walked a long way.
A few more months just using a stick occasionally is nothing compared to the years ahead walking nice and straight.
Enough preaching from me, thanks to you all- Mike.

Right Ceramic THR
Ronan Treacy   Birmingham R.O.H
8 August 2012

evant

Re: Two Years Today
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2014, 04:22:55 PM »
Very glad you're doing brilliant.

A lovely top notch THR fitted by the best = a happy normal life in every respect.

Look after that new bigger bike.
rbhr 3 january 2013
mr ronan treacy
royal orthopaedic hospital, birmingham, england

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2014, 03:53:04 AM »
Jeez that's flown past mike!!! I'm glad your happy and have your life back! ;)
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2014, 09:47:29 AM »
Mike

Congratulations.  Glad to hear you are doing so well. 

Thank You for keeping us updated.  It is great for people to know that a THR allows you to remain active and out of pain.  The same advice for THRs as hip resurfacing - choose a really experienced surgeon and make sure you get a large ball THR. 

I look forward to your next anniversary!  Have Fun and Thanks for stopping by.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Tim Bratten

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2014, 10:20:02 AM »
Great to hear from you Mike D and it's nice to know all is well. Good post, too.  For me, right now, in terms of the kinds of things I want to do and the way my implants are working for me, I can't tell much difference between the THR and the HR (2.5 years post-op and 6 months post-op, respectively). Both are doing their jobs well.
Cheers
Tim
Botched LHR by Dr. Vilicich 06-17-2010 revised by Koen De Smet 02-14-2012
RHR Koen De Smet 02-05-2014

whyme

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2014, 03:04:21 PM »
Thanks for posting, is always great to hear good stories. For those of us with HRs it's also a reassurance.
Left hip resurfacing (Conserve Plus) 2013-09-04
Dr. De Smet

hernanu

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2014, 01:01:41 PM »
Congrats Mike, good to hear how well you're doing.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Anna

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2014, 05:59:19 PM »
WOOHOOOO!!!!!! Happy anniversary to you ... and me! I'm checking in a few days late as I was on my holidays but I was one year post op on the 8th (don't forget we share the same date!)

Back on your bike hey Mike? That sounds absolutely fantastic! I'm so glad you are doing so well. I too am pretty happy. I've had a hectic year.

To anyone who is looking at having a THR, I second what Mike has said, it's not the end of the world ... its the beginning of a new and awesome pain free life!! This year I have been skiing, I've climbed mountains, I walked my first marathon (8 months post op!), I've been horse riding and am an avid biker both road and mountain biking. I too have just bought a new bike Mike ... but pedal power is required for mine!! The best bit?? .... I sleep. I walk. Without pain. Without drugs. Looking back to just over a year ago, I didn't think that would ever be possible. It's a long road and I think personally, it's only been the last 2 months that I have really started to feel the benefits and really started to feel strong, so be patient.

Mike - I will see you here again on 08/08/2015 for more happy updates!!  ;D

Anna

RTHR - 08/08/2013 -Mr johan witt, London

Mike D

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2014, 02:21:25 PM »
Thanks Folks,
I think I'll get back on the pedal cycle as well, I've not done any cycling for a few months since using a stationary bike as part of my post-op regime.
I've done a decent amount of walking and visited a couple of places with steep hills that made me wince before the THR.
One road in particular if anyone knows it is the hill down  to Robin Hood's Bay, North Yorkshire.
Also the 199 steps to Whitby Abbey- They used to be a huge problem.
Post-op they were a challenge and now it's a pleasure to do them. Happy days.
Right Ceramic THR
8 August 2012

Some Dude

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2014, 03:16:09 AM »
Great news Mike D.  I am at almost 11 months from my botched bhr to thr revision. So far so good. I'll give a full report at my 1 year mark but I can tell you right now I am happy happy happy.... Bike, hike, swim, surf, work, walk for hours, carry heavy stuff, no clicking, no knocking, no pain, I do whatever I want and don't even think about it. ROM is still improving and I have some numbness and tingling on the front of my thigh but that's about it. I can sleep on my side, go for long drives, whatever. We flew to N. Carolina to visit our daughter last week, 5+ hour plane ride no problem, we climbed the lighthouse at Hatteras and my hip wasn't even sore, walked all over the beaches looking for shells and whatnot, didn't even think about it.  I'll be back on the dirtbike soon and am looking forward to lots of riding this season. Great to hear positive feedback from you ! No a THR is not the end of the world !  In fact it beats the tar out of a poorly placed bhr. It's all about the surgeon more than the component (imo) Glad you're doing well !   

Mike D

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2014, 04:43:51 PM »
I'll look forward to your 1yr update, Some Dude.
Your progress is fast-really good to hear. Seems to me that having a THR now has no comparison with the way things were.
It used to mean a noticeable change in lifestyle- there's no way people could expect to carry on skiing, climbing etc, with the old small ball joints that were used in the past.
As you say-choice of surgeon is so important. It's said on this site so many times and you know it more than most having had a bad time.
Have fun when you swing that pain-free leg over the dirtbike, sounds great!
I've really found my biking mojo again-I lost a bit of interest when it used to hurt so much but the bike didn't help much- a big old 240kg 1978 GS1000.
There's no issue there at all now with the weight, I can hold it on a hill just fine without worrying about slipping.
I've just got a GSX1400 and hope to get some mileage on it now I can take more than 1 hour in the seat!

Right Ceramic THR
8 August 2012

Some Dude

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2014, 02:21:48 AM »
Sounds good Mike, Put some miles on that thing !  ;) 8)

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear