+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: When can I start to use crutches  (Read 2137 times)

hollyk

When can I start to use crutches
« on: June 27, 2008, 12:34:50 PM »
I am one week and one day out. I still have pain and tire out easily. I am using a walker and can put full weight on but can only walk to the neighbor's house and back without getting tired. The PT exercises are going well except for raising and lowering my knee. My Dr. did not mention crutches..is that something most people move to after a walker?

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: When can I start to use crutches
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2008, 01:37:02 PM »
Hi Holly
I gave you your own topic since many will be interested.

First thing is you need to listen to your doctor.  You should ask when you can use crutches?

Most of the overseas doctors and many US doctors have you on crutches right from the begining.  Overseas, you usually use elbow crutches which I liked a lot.  I was able to use only one crutch on the good side to help the operated leg at 4 days post op.  Pretty normal for De Smet Patients.

Maybe you doctor had you on a special restriction for a reason if you had an unusual surgery.  It is difficult to walk much of a distance with a walker.  I was walking 3/4 mile a day by about 12 days post op with just the one crutch.  That was pretty easy using the elbow crutch like a cane.  I don't think I could have walked as far with a walker.

I hope you continue to do well with your recovery.  Give your doctors office a call and ask when you can use a crutch or crutches.  The is the safest information you can get.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

hollyk

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2008, 11:03:51 AM »
Good news..today I am walking with a cane that has sort of a "foot" on the bottom for stability. I make progress every day so that is good!

millerp

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2008, 12:35:05 PM »
Hi Holly,

Be carful.  My Dr. had me only put 50% weight on the operative leg for the first month.  I was able to use a walker or crutches, which a switch from one to another.  No cane for 4 weeks, because you put more than 50% weight when using a cane.  Then get off the cane when you feel right, for me it was at about 12 weeks after surgery.  everybody is different, Talk to you Doc.  They are all different.

Good Luck

Patrick

ahershberger

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2008, 02:57:19 PM »
I have my surgery on August 4 and my instruction sheet says I need to bring crutches.  Since I haven't done this before, I'm only guessing that I'll use them to go home...It is interesting to hear about so many different experiences!
Good luck.
Alison Hershberger

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2008, 04:53:28 PM »
Hi Alison

There are many different recovery protocols from the different doctors.

Normally, the overseas doctors are much less conservative than the US doctors.  I was on one crtuch at 4 days and none at 4 weeks.  Rather typical of De Smet Patients.

The US doctors are much less experienced and try to be conservative.  They don't want problems and revisions.  I am sure when you have done 10 or 100 that your exprience level feels much different than when you have done 3000 like De Smet.

It is best to ask your doctor what his/her protocol is. That way you know what to expect and won't be dissapointed.  Some of the US doctors do have protocols like the overseas doctors, but not too many do.  So ask the questions so you know how your recovery will be handled.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat