+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Discomfort around incision at 1 week post-op  (Read 3487 times)

mynameisjudge

Discomfort around incision at 1 week post-op
« on: September 13, 2014, 10:05:01 AM »
I am 1 week post-op from a right BHR with Dr. Su at HSS. The past couple of days I have had increasing discomfort from sitting on the incision. It feels like maybe it is getting a bit harder. There is also what looks like kind of a dent in one part of it, though I can't tell if there is a dent, or if it is just more swollen right above it.

Wanted to see if anyone else had experienced this.
RBHR 9/6/14 Dr. Su at HSS

hernanu

Re: Discomfort around incision at 1 week post-op
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2014, 06:47:32 PM »
It will get uncomfortable as time passes, since you'll be healing. The thing to watch for is any redness or pain. If you're at all uneasy, call your surgeon and let them know about it.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Dave Like Festus

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2014, 11:41:33 AM »
Yes, if you are really concerned, call your surgeon! My incision was likewise painful at times. At 1 week I think this is normal (my unprofessional opinion). As your scar tissue is knitting together and then you move it, it will pinch, ache, or zing you at times. I tried to be careful to not put too much pressure on it and ice as you like, as well as some gentle self massage (as is comfortable to you) to help the scar to heal, and break up adhesions.

My scar also had some bumps, humps and irregular areas, but now at 6 weeks post op, it has smoothed considerably and looks mostly even. It will improve as time goes by. Keep up with your recovery PT. You could also consult with a cosmetic surgeon if you really want it to look minimal. Since I'm a 59 year old guy, I'm not so worried what I look like in a thong...YIKES, seriously bad visual :o

Good luck!
David
David
RBHR 8-6-2014, Dr. Peter Brooks

comtiger

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2014, 02:54:39 PM »
My incision was also very painful for the first 2-3 weeks. I think is was also from the swelling of the area that made it uncomfortable to sit properly. I did after the first week, lay on my unoperated side and gently massage around the incision. The first couple times, it felt like a had a bad spasm in my muscle, then the knot slowly went away. This knot was on the top end of the incision. After I did that the spasm went away and felt much much better. Also, I iced like crazy every couple hours for the first 3 weeks. Now, 5 weeks out the incision just looks like a red squiggly line and all the bumps and "pockets " as my wife called  them are almost gone. I still gently massage around the incision daily and it seems to make the area not feel as tight.
Dave, hit it on the head though, I would call the surgeon if you have any concerns!

I wish you a great recovery!

GreenHills

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2014, 06:48:22 PM »
Well, I'm happy to report that mine was not painful.  I had the stitches that dissolve and the only problem (or annoyance) with that is at times they may "prick" you.  I would not worry unless I saw swelling, red, or drainage.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear