+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: 6 Month Post-Op Today!  (Read 2432 times)

mmooney42

6 Month Post-Op Today!
« on: October 02, 2014, 10:54:26 AM »
Today is the 6 month mark, post-surgery.  I know that is a big milestone date as far as being cleared of all restrictions.  The 6 months actually went by quicker than I thought, as I really dreaded the recovery going into the surgery on April 2nd.

I am a very active person and have already gotten back to a very active lifestyle.  I have been very aggressive and diligent with my PT.  I continue to go to my PT twice a week.  I hit my out of pocket max with my insurance quickly this year with the surgery, so I will continue to go as long as I can while it's covered 100%.  On the non PT days, I am usually at the YMCA 4 of those days doing PT on my own.  I have been back to road riding a bicycle since about the 3 month mark.  I was cleared to do some light agility type running at around 4 months (short 20 yard jogs, back peddling, side to side type things).  I am now also able to run around with my kids on the soccer field, in the yard, etc.... Those type of things I really avoided prior to surgery as I would get sore very fast.

I am doing most things comfortably with tolerable soreness.  I have not gone back to road running at this point.  I am not sure how far I'd get anyway before getting too sore.  Maybe somewhere down the line, but road running isn't a main priority for me at this point.  I also work as a football official and have been back on the field for a few weeks now, also with tolerable soreness.

The one area that still gives me trouble is the groin soreness/tightness.  If anyone has tips to help work through that, I'd appreciate hearing what it is.

Thanks,
Matt
Left Hip Resurfacing, Dr. Robert Marchand, 4/2/14.  Age 44 at time of surgery.

chuckm

Re: 6 Month Post-Op Today!
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2014, 12:32:23 PM »
Well done Matt, the one word of advice regarding the groin (psoas) is patience. Keep trying to strengthen the gluts. At about a year and a half my glut muscles really started to return to normal and the psoas really began to improve after that. Until then stick to light stretching and don't do anything to aggravate it or it gets worse.
I think time is the best healer since nothing will force it to improve.
The psoas has been the last part of my healing process but it eventually improved.

Chuckm
Left BHR 11/30/12
Hospital for Special Surgery
46 years old

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2014, 08:00:41 PM »
Congratulations on your 6 month anniversary.

Did you end up having your surgery with Dr. Su?  I wasn't sure after reading your posts.

Keep up the the good work.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

lgbran

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2014, 12:53:12 AM »
Great to here of your progress. Trust me before you know it you will be at the 1 year mark or close too. I'm at 11 months and time is flying. Funny how the countdown prior to surgery seemed to go forever. I've been slack re my excercise of late. Was spinning and road cycling at 6 month mark but for the Ladt 3-4 months been doing very little. Spring here in Australia and soon to be summer so no real excuses. Keep on posting here and keep updating.
RBHR 11/11/13 by Stephen McMahon @
The Avenue Hospital Melbourne Australia

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat