+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Good as Gold?  (Read 1417 times)

wendell

Good as Gold?
« on: October 26, 2014, 11:49:30 PM »
I have experienced three hip surgeries on the same hip to fix a torn labrum and associated complications. Car wreck injury, try to fix instead of replace, and its a longer story.

My doctor has told me that if I can't stand the pain to seek a replacement. I have been contemplating, for a couple of years now, if I should go ahead and have my hip resurfaced. Remember, I have been through 3 and don't look forward to the 4th.

I can't stand the thought that if I have the 4th surgery and something goes wrong I will have a possible 5th. Forgive my skepticism, but that's my world right now.

My fear is the dreaded metal allergies. In the past few years I have tried to wear gold chains around my neck. The chains, quality gold, have oxidized and turned color while I wear them. I started with 10k gold, and went to 14k gold. Same thing. The chains start turning a red color and end up look like tarnished bronze if I wear them long enough.

I have read somewhere, if not on this site, that if jewelry turns colors on your body be aware of having metal implanted into your body.

Does anybody know the facts about this issue?

Do I have to worry about metal allergies if my body turns gold chains colors. I don't want to have to replace a replacement, or worse, lose a leg.

Let me know if you know.

Thanks
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 11:50:05 PM by wendell »

Dannywayoflife

Re: Good as Gold?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 04:34:12 AM »
Hi there welcome to the group. I'm sorry to hear about your problems. In answer to your question I don't think that skin metal allergy is the same as an allergy to an implant.

I asked this when I was having my bhr as my mum has terrible skin reactions to metals. I was told there totally different
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Good as Gold?
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 08:44:12 AM »
Here are three responses to your questions from top doctors.  Skin allergies and deep tissue allergies are not the same - according to what I have read.  I am not a doctor and not medically trained, so the best person to answer this question would be your surgeon.

http://www.surfacehippy.info/faqmetalallergy.php

Here is the whole list of FAQs

http://www.surfacehippy.info/faq.php

I hope that helps.  Good LUck.

Pat
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 08:45:08 AM by Pat Walter »
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Today at 03:32:11 AM