+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: I'M BACK!  (Read 1971 times)

stephen1254

I'M BACK!
« on: November 11, 2014, 09:19:55 AM »
Haven't been here for awhile, as it was 2.5 years since my surgery, but I'm now 8 days post-op from my second BHR. I now have a matched pair!

As we recently relocated to the East Coast, this resurfacing was done by Dr. Raterman out of Tampa Bay. He's done 1000's of resurfacings, and is able to take an anterior approach for certain patients with a specific type of musculature. The difference from the last hip to this hip is pretty dramatic - less pain, greater strength right after surgery, was able to sleep in my bed immediately, etc.

That doesn't mean, of course, that it has been all fun and games. The surgery still causes significant trauma to the leg, and I'm still dealing with pain and swelling - the swelling seems about the same. The recovery does seem a bit faster. I transitioned from a walker to the cane as soon as I came home, where it was 6 days before, and I'm not using the cane around the house at 7 days post-op, where it was 11 days before. The limitations on certain activities - like an exercise bike or light weights, is about the same.

I do have a question about PT. Last hip I didn't have any - the PT said I was doing fine on my own. This time the Dr. insists on PT with a pretty strict regimen working on ROM and strength. My session yesterday left me very stiff and sore, to the point where I had to go back to the cane. This morning it is better, but still stiffer than before the PT which was done about 24 hours earlier. My instincts tell me it is too much too soon, but my instincts might be completely wrong. Can anyone chime in on their experiences with PT?
RBHR Dr. Callander 3/27/12

chuckm

Re: I'M BACK!
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2014, 09:32:09 AM »
Well done Stephen! Big yep in my opinion - too much too soon. Communicate clearly to your PT. Do not irritate the psoas (groin area) with leg lifting etc. Don't do too much stretching there either or it will just stay sore. I'm not an MD but that is a constant theme on this site. With resurfacing the bursa and the psoas tendon have to endure a lot of trauma and need time to heal.

Chuckm
Left BHR 11/30/12
Hospital for Special Surgery
46 years old

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2014, 09:33:37 AM »
I was told by my surgeon that pt was not needed. I saw a pt for 1 session I think and she tried to break me!! I instinctively knew what she was found was wrong so I never went back!!!
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

Granton

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2014, 10:07:04 AM »
My surgeon also said PT not required. However, after my second BHR, I hurt my back so GP sent me for a few sessions.

She was very helpful, just adapted the standard daily exercises to make them more interesting and appropriate for me. Certainly did not try to make me do more than the surgeon had specified.

Hope you make good progress.
David
Rt BHR Nov 1999
Lt BHR Oct 2013
Mr D McMinn

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2014, 11:40:51 AM »
I think some surgeons have had failures due to over the top physios. I remember the 1 session I had at like 19 days post op and she was trying to force my knee to my chest and doing all manner of other things! I think that's part of the reason I was really slow at recovering at the start.
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz