+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Walking pain  (Read 4862 times)

John C

Walking pain
« on: July 06, 2008, 06:17:32 PM »
I am a 56 year old male athlete, who is three weeks post resurfacing with Dr Gross. Despite 10 years of discomfort and loss of ROM, I was able to stay very active. A month before my surgery, I tried a stem cell injection treatment that was a disaster, and left me with severe pains, and unable to get around without crutches or a cane. My concern is that ever since the day after surgery, I have had a new, fairly severe, pain in the area on the outside of the greater trochanter, whenever I walk, or flex my leg past about 45 degrees.
It feels as though it is related to muscles or tendons moving over and across the trochanter. Sometimes there is a popping or clicking feeling that goes along with this. The first few days I accepted this as normal, but after three weeks, it has not changed much if at all. :(
I do the minimal home exercises that the Doctor prescribes a couple of times a day, and go for a 3/4 mile walk every morning and evening. Most of the rest of the day is spent resting. I am comfortable using either one crutch or two, but the pain and accompanying weakness are making it impossible to get rid of any crutches at three weeks as I had hoped.
Has anyone had experience in overcoming this? I cannot decide if I am doing too much, too little, or whether I just need to give this more time. The tough part is that it has not changed much since the day I left the hospital.
Thanks to everyone on this site,
John

John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

TomBuell

• Right Birmingham Hip Resurfacing 7/1/08
Re: Walking pain
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2008, 07:30:56 PM »
Wow John. That sounds painful. What does your surgeon have to say about all this? How quickly after surgery did you start these walks?
I'm a 52 yr old male athlete - rower & runner. Just 5-days post op with a BHR.
I wish you the best.
- Tom

sroberts

• rbhr Dr Rogerson 6/26/08
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2008, 11:50:50 AM »
John,

Don't despair, we all recover at different rates and depending on how much "work" Dr Gross had to do greatly affects your recovery rate. Make sure you ice, gentle massage and stay on top of pain. Hang in there! Don't forget you underwent major surgery.

spencer

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2008, 08:16:24 PM »
Hi John

We all recover at different rates.  It never pays to push your recovery.  Dr. De Smet says to listen to your body.  If it hurts, you are doing too much.  The "No pain - no gain" rule does not work for post op recovery after hip surgery.  It is easy to overdo.  Just take it easy and things will get better with time.  Some people just have longer recoveries.  No one has ever found a reason or way to predict recovery time.

I had a really quick and easy recovery, but did not stop using a crutch until 4 weeks.  De Smet says use a cane or crutch until you DO NOT limp.  If you are limping - you need the walking assistance.

Be patient.

Many of us have plateaus. All of a sudden - things get better. 

I wish you the best.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

CITY2SOUTH

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2008, 08:52:41 AM »
John,

Send an email to Lee Web -  leewebb1@sc.rr.com. You can also get it from Dr. Gross' website GROSSORTHO.COM.
I've emailed her numerous times and she has reassured me when I had my doubts on many recovery topics. I had my left hip resurfacing with Dr. G and Lee on 6/23/08.

Good Luck recovering!

Lisa
Lisa Uncemented/Biomet/Gross/ 6-23-08

xocy

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2008, 10:56:11 PM »
John, what are Dr. Gross and Lee telling you?

Mike
Mike
Bilateral
Dr. Thomas Gross
Left 6/23/08  Right 6/25/08

John C

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2008, 02:52:49 PM »
Thanks for the replies. I have been emailing back and forth with Lee, who is very wonderful. At first, they were very encouraging, saying that things were progressing on schedule, and would continue to get better with time. In the last couple of emails, Lee said that she thought that the pain was from fascia rubbing over the greater trochanter, that it might be related to my being slender, and that it would improve with time. She encouraged me to start pool work as soon as the scabbing has cleared up, which I hope to start in the next few days. She also asked me to send in an x-ray to be sure that everything is in place, which I have not heard back about yet.
I have concluded a couple of things. My gluteus medius and minimus are barely firing, if at all, which is why I cannot stand or walk on that leg without crutches. I have lost most of the ability to abduct my leg from either a lying or standing position. With Lee's blessing, I have broken from their standard protocol, and started seeing some friends who are excellent PTs, and have started some specific exercises to try to bring back these muscles. When I do try to put more weight on that leg when I walk with crutches, I can get up to about 90% weight bearing at a very slow stride, but after about two hundred yards, the burning pain over the trochanter gets bad enough that I have to turn back. Even a few weight shifting exercises to get most of my weight on that leg, fires the trochanter pain up so that it becomes very painful to flex the hip, for example to try to sit down or get up. Almost four weeks now, with not much progress in weight bearing, which is a little discouraging.
Lee has been very good about responding and offering encouragement and advice, but I would be very happy to hear from anyone who has been through similar experiences, and came out with a good solution.

Big Bill

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2008, 09:55:00 PM »
John ...best of luck ...keep us all posted...Had my resurface done 7/9/08 ...just got back from a 1/2 mile walk  ...a little swelling ..but no pain! I hope your recovery gets better... one hippy wrote ...I know that there are rabbits and turtles...she is a turtle and they can live to be 125 years old ! Stay focused on the finsh line !!!

Big Bill ,Cormet Anterior Surface Hippy (C.A.S.H.)

CITY2SOUTH

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2008, 10:08:39 AM »
I'm glad Lee was able to help you. Good Luck recovering..

Lisa

Big Bill

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2008, 09:57:26 AM »
 John C. ----you will be surprised how much the water excercises will help. Being a former competetive athelete,my spirits were crushed when I could not run or play basketball. Up until my surgery I still had dreams of runnng...and fast in my dreams   ::)  !!! I was told by the 1st doc I saw about my hip that there were no excercises or anything I could do ---I needed a total hip replacement.  I never saw that doc again  >:( . I joined the local YMCA and started water aerobics and swimming. I lost about 30 lbs in 3months   ;D . I had put the weight on because of the pain and inactivity. I know how much the pool helps and with your strong spirit you will see the results too !   I will really be happy to get back in the water!  ;D Best of luck to you!

Big Bill   C.A.S.H.   8)

John C

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2008, 02:12:07 PM »
Thanks for the great supporting words Bill. I have been doing pool therapy on my hip for a few years now, and have always loved it. I have been waiting for the last scabs to come off the incision, and yesterday was "pool day" ;D I was like a kid being let out at recess, and spent an hour doing exercises and laps. No problem swimming, though the hip did feel a little funny when kicking; without any weight on it, there was a slight feeling of parts clunking around, but not that uncomfortable. At five weeks out, my big challenge still is walking without a cane or crutch. If I really slow down and focus (slow as in two or three seconds per step, kind of like watching someone do Tai Chi in the park, which I cannot wait to get back to doing every day), I can create a fairly limp free step. The other 99.9% of the time I need a cane or crutch, otherwise the leg sort of rotates in and collapses into a lurching limp. The pain out around the greater trochanter is getting slowly better, but is still there any time I put weight on it without a cane, or bend the hip past 45 degrees. The good news is that my x-rays came back solid, and there is some progress every day :)

John / left uncemented biomet/Gross/ 6-16-08

CITY2SOUTH

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2008, 07:39:53 PM »
John C - Sounds like you made a SPLASH at the pool..ha ha....I'm a week behind you (same procedure) and walked 2 miles today. I have no limp if I walk very slow but when I pick up the pace it's back. I have very minimal pain, more like an ache. I've been able to get in the pool since this past Monday but haven't had a chance to get there. My husband and I took my son to the beach but the rip curl was so strong I was afraid to go past me HIPS and didn't stay in very long. Hoping to get to the pool tomorrow..

Big Bill - 30 lbs in 3 months TELL ME MORE!!!!!

P.S. I TIED MY OWN SNEAKER TODAY!!!!!!!!! YIPPIE!!!!!! No more knocking on my neighbors door with my foot out....

Lisa- left uncemented biomet/Gross/ 6-23-08
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 11:37:39 PM by CITY2SOUTH »

Big Bill

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2008, 09:52:58 AM »
John C  ---congrats to you on gettin' in the the pool...I 'm kinda jealous :P . Pat has some pool excercises (with pics) that will surely help...making small circles ,clockwise ,then counter-clockwise (with your operated side) while flexing the foot/ankle will work all the smaller ,"hard to get to" areas. Do at least 3 sets of 8-12 reps.  Look at your hip as 4 quadrants---excercise all 4 areas(using moderation). Remember you have larger and smaller muscles... and muscle groups. An imbalance in your excercises (favoring your "favorite" movements)could  hold you back.  Focus on your weaknesses---your strengths are already there! I am not a PT or DR---but I have had to use them before  ::) Good luck !

Big Bill-- C.A.S.H.   8)

xocy

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2008, 10:22:07 AM »
Got in the pool for the first time yesterday. No problems. I could swim as usual. Just flutter kick, no froggey stuff yet. The metal hips did not make me sink. How much do these hippys weigh? Remember,I have two.

Where are the pool exercises?

Mike

Bilateral
Dr. Gross
6/23 and 6/25
Mike
Bilateral
Dr. Thomas Gross
Left 6/23/08  Right 6/25/08

Big Bill

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2008, 01:58:18 PM »
XOCY --- I asked the doc about how much they weigh...he says pretty close to the weight of the bone removed. Make sure you get an airport or metal detector card if you plan on flying or visiting anyone in prison   :o ...Just a joke about the prison thing  ::) ...glad you are gettin' wet. Another week or so b 4 I can get in the pool. Sounds like you are doin' great  ;D . Keep up the progress !! Guess I need to stock up on the wine if Lisa  ever comes to Houston  ;)  !!!

Big Bill  --- C.A.S.H.    8)

CITY2SOUTH

« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2008, 03:11:28 PM »
Big Bill - Very very funny!!!!! But if I am coming to TEXAS I'll take a nice thick juicy steak and a tall beer please! Nice smileys by the way

Mike aka XOCY- I never did get  a chance to hold my bone that Dr. Gross removed but Lee let me hold the implant and it didn't feel too heavy. I guess as heavy as a 12 ounce can of beer..ha ha...

Lisa

John C

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2008, 05:19:32 PM »
Getting back to my original post starting this thread; today, at 5 1/2 weeks was my first day being able to do a reasonable walk without crutches or cane. :) Later than most other people, but half a mile at a normal pace, without a noticeable limp. Pain is improving, but still some discomfort when not using a cane. Less limp, but more discomfort than prior to surgery; :-\ slowly getting better. I think that getting in the pool every day must be helping.
You mentioned an airport card? Is there such a thing that we hippies can get our hands on to minimize delays?

John
Gross/ uncemented Biomet/ 6/16/08

stevenp

« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2008, 06:37:46 PM »
I played with a spare implant (cap and cup). The doc said it weighed about 2 pounds, which seems about right. The implant definitely weighs a lot more than the bone removed.

TomBuell

• Right Birmingham Hip Resurfacing 7/1/08
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2008, 01:31:42 PM »
My surgeon (Pressman in Pittsburgh - excellent) gave me a little card with an image of the Birmingham System and my info on the back - procedure, date, etc., that he said I should show at airports and also tell my doctor/dentist if I had any other procedures so they could give me some antibiotics.
- Tom
RBHR 7/1/08

Vicky

« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2008, 02:56:59 PM »
FYI, the airport card does no good.  Think about it, it would be very simple for a terrorist to make a fake one up if it were that simple to get by airport security.  I just tell them before I go through the metal detector that I have a metal hip and point at my left hip.  They usually just nod and yell out, female assistance.  Then after I go through, they tell me to step aside to a different area.  They wand you and pat you down.  There is no getting around this, if there were, I would be worried about our security system to be honest with you.  Also, if I did not set off the metal detector, that would worry me too. This is a large piece of metal that we have inside us, I certainly hope it will set it off!  :-)  It usually only takes an addtional five minutes or so out of your time. 

By the way, I think my implant weighs about 1 1/2 pounds.  I think it depends on the size of the implant.  my BHR is a 42 48. 

I have four implants at home, so I can weigh them this weekend when I get back if you like and post what each one weighs?  I have a BHR, a C+, an ASR and a Biomet.  With all the work I do as a patient advocate, the device manufacturers have told me I can keep them all except for the Biomet, I have not heard back from them yet on whether or not I can keep that one.  I hold hippy gatherings twice a year for those that have had the surgery and those still looking into it in Northern California.  The last one I had someone flew out from Canada for it.  I plan on having the next one the end of January if anyone is interested in attending.

Vicky

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat