+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Crazyness in NYC  (Read 3290 times)

stevenp

Crazyness in NYC
« on: July 07, 2008, 08:58:41 PM »
Here's a crazy (and evolving) story about my venture into hippydom.  I had been diagnosed with OA in my right hip about 2 years ago.  (Stats: 47-yr-old male, 6'1, 230#.)  Can't run a step now, but walk as much as I can (with general mild pain, sometimes more severe).  I miss playing recreational sports, and have often felt frustrated.  An old friend had a THR about 1.5 years ago, after being in severe pain. He mostly wanted to be pain-free and play golf, and is doing very well. I did my research and decided that a BHR was for me.  (Don't worry--it gets crazy soon!)

After many months of doing some basic yoga/stretching, walking, etc. things weren't getting better. Not noticeably worse but not better. So I looked into resurfacing more and found this site. I live in NYC and noticed that Dr. Su is right here in town. So, I called his office last Thursday (4 days ago), and made an appointment for a consult for late August, after his vacation.

[cue crazyness]  This morning I got a call that Dr Su had a cancellation and could see me today.  I headed over, and he told me I'm a solid candidate for BHR (x-rays showed good bone strength and a closing of the gap near the top, as it did 2 years ago). I told him I was flexible for scheduling the surgery, being local and all. He said he had an opening this Thursday (in 3 days!) and could make that work. I checked with my employer, and confirmed the date.

So, today has been a crazy day for me. I figure once I decided to do it, might as well get it over with and start recovering!  Seven days from calling for an initial consultation to having the BHR has to be some sort of record, maybe?  :D

I promise I'll report back after the weekend with updates.  ;)
« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 09:05:34 PM by stevenp »

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Crazyness in NYC
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008, 09:07:34 PM »
Hi Steven

Congratulations - you certainly are on the fast track.  The advantage is you won't have much time to think about it and get nervous.

Dr. Su is a great surgeon, so you should not have anything to worry about.

You will be well on your way to recovery by the time you were supposed to have your first appointment!

I wish you the very best of luck.  I hope you will keep in touch and let us know how you are doing.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

stevenp

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2008, 09:17:48 PM »
Hi Pat,

Thanks so much for the great site here! That was my exact thought today--now that I've decided to go ahead, the less time to dwell on it the better!  ;D  I'm just visualizing waking up in the recovery room with everything A-OK. And I was as comfortable with Dr Su as I expected to be. (He noted that he's done over 700 resurfacings now.)  I am sure I will have more questions and more stuff to share here!  I've been reading lots, but felt I had to post after today's events.

sroberts

• rbhr Dr Rogerson 6/26/08
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2008, 09:31:40 PM »
Steven,

Congratulations! A good friend of mine had Dr Su perform his BHR surgery last April and he is totally pain free and feeling great. Good Luck!

spencer

TomBuell

• Right Birmingham Hip Resurfacing 7/1/08
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2008, 11:16:24 AM »
Good luck Steven. It may seem crazy, but you'll be glad you did it. If you hadn't been able to schedule anything for a while, you would only have been going stir-crazy.
I'm one week post-op. Sore and swollen, but getting better every day.
Keep us posted!
- Tom

CITY2SOUTH

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2008, 07:30:03 PM »
Steve,

Dr. Su is one of the best. I would have went to him if I still lived in NY. I am 2 weeks post-surgery and walked a mile yesterday..

GO FOR IT!!!!!

P.S. Pat's right about the nervousness. You have no time for it..Awesome...

Good Luck and Have a Speedy Recovery

Lisa
Lisa Uncemented/Biomet/Gross/ 6-23-08

stevenp

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2008, 06:32:25 PM »
Thanks for all the encouragement. It's now Sunday and I'm home, resting comfortably, after having the BHR done on Thursday. I would have posted sooner, but had no blackberry signal in my hospital room!

The first day was the best so far. Hospitals really know how to manage pain for surgery these days. I met everyone in pre-op, went to the OR, talked to the anesthesiologist, and next thing I know, I woke up in the recovery room feeling 100% normal and coherent.   :o

I must admit, day 2 was less comfortable, as the epidural and nerve blockers went away. I still made it around on a walker. Day 3 was crutches, which were fine, but I still had trouble (and pain) trying to lift my leg up onto the bed. Plus, sliding onto the bed gave me a burning sensation in the incision. (Those who have had it done probably remember this well, those who haven't yet should know it's uncomfortable but bearable!)  Sitting up on the edge of the bed on days 1-2 was rough because my whole right thigh felt like one big tender bruise. (OK, it *was* one big tender bruise!)  But sitting up today is more comfortable and feels better. Walking is easy; sitting down and getting up are very slow. Lifting my right leg up is still a no-go. I hope it improves as the muscles heal.  I'm much more comfortable relaxing at home now!

Dr Su at HSS was great. He stopped by each day, and called on the weekend days when he was off-duty. The rest of the staff was great too, although I had about 20 different drs, nurses, PT aides, assistants, etc., and few repeat visits from the same person! BTW, the doc said I had no cartilage left in my hip joint, which was surprising as I was still doing a fair amount ofwalking and stairs every day.

I'm glad Igot it over with quickly, and will probably feel much better when the initial soreness fades. Tomorrow marks one week since I initially visited Dr Su's office for a consult, and I'm already on the road to recovery.

I hope everyone else's experiences here go as well as mine did. Good luck and thanks for the great info! I'll continue to read and post, of course.  ;)

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2008, 08:20:21 PM »
Hi Steve

I am glad things seem to be going well for you.  It will take a long time before you can lift the operated leg or do any abduction exercise with it.  It just takes time for the muscles to heal.

You will do better each day. 

I wish you the best of luck and hope to hear more updates soon.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

stevenp

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2008, 02:31:20 PM »
Day 6 here, and healing continues. Still not sleeping well, but I can move my leg around more comfortably and am putting more weight on it (more than 50% with no discomfort). I was told the back of my thigh is one big bruise, but I can't see it.  :D  I was even able to lay (and curl up) on my side last night comfortably for the first time. Getting around on crutches is easier, and I am finally starting to feel that things will actually heal up!  The soreness has subsided enough so I feel likemy hip and leg are actually working to some degree.

My ROM seems good-I can easily bend over to pick things up from the floor, bring my heels to my butt while lying down, etc. As per Dr's orders, I'm not forcing or straining anything-just doing what feels comfortable.

I just thought I'd post this general update for information, so others can compare or will have some idea what to expect.  Hope everyone else is doing well, and if anyone is considering a BHR with Dr Su, feel free to contact me!

CITY2SOUTH

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2008, 12:05:13 AM »
Steve,

Sounds like you are recovering nicely. I had insomnia real bad my 1st 2 wks so I got a script for Lunesta. It helped out a great deal. Like Pat said as we get more active sleeping will improve and it has. I only need the lunesta occasionally now.

Good Luck into week 2..
Lisa

stevenp

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2008, 12:02:30 PM »
Thanks Lisa. The insomnia is weird, because I usually sleep fine, and I'm starting to feel comfortable lying down. I do have some Ambien, which helps me fall asleep but I'm still waking up early and with a headache.

I find the variety of post-op protocols here interesting. One person in another thread had a THR and said she had no movement restrictions apart from the lotus posture (for 6 weeks), which I hadn't heard of before.  Maybe that was a full-size metal-on-metal implant? I've uniformly heard of the 90-degree restriction to avoid dislocation in a THR.  I do like Dr Su's recovery plan. He uses sutures/sanistrips, so I could shower as soon as I came home.  No motion restrictions at all. No TEDS required. No shots for blood thinners (yay! I hate needles): just aspirin twice per day. One week out, I feel like I can get up and sit down almost normally. I can also bend over and pick things up with no strain, and can almost put full weight on my leg.  The incision is still noticeably sore on occasion, but it looks fine and the bruising is starting to fade.

CITY2SOUTH

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2008, 10:26:52 PM »
Steve,

Yeah every Doctor has there own protocol. Dr. SU would have been my Dr. if I still lived in NY.
I was able to shower the day after surgery as well.
No teds (thank god)
90 degree rule applies for me but I have broken that rule daily.
I needed to inject myself for 10 days but no biggie to me.
I can put full weight on my leg but walk with a limp if i do not use my cane.

I never really bruised and in incision looks sooo much better then day 1.

Good Luck Recovery!
Lisa

DMCCREIGHT

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2008, 12:55:26 PM »

Hey Steve CONGRATULATIONS!!

I am a newbie to this site and have not yet had the BHR.  I would be very interested in your recovery so I will make sure to visit this site to see how you are doing!!  Good luck in the coming days!!

deb

stevenp

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2008, 02:14:54 PM »
Hi deb,

Still a little less sore each day, and putting most of my weight on the right leg with no problem. (11 days post-surgery now.)  Yesterday I went for a walk around the block and it was quite an effort, so I may cut back a little. (1 city block is about 1/2 mile, plus it was hot outside!) Everything looks good except for some major bruising still on the back of my thigh.  Sleeping a bit better now, including on my side. I can get up and sit with much less problem now. I do it slowly, but no major aches.

Let me know if I can answer any specific questions. Are you in/near NYC?

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat