+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: 12 Days Post Op - Bilateral w/ Dr. Su  (Read 3465 times)

Jon W.

12 Days Post Op - Bilateral w/ Dr. Su
« on: April 27, 2015, 05:52:15 PM »
Hi all. I've been an inactive participant in this web site for a few years now. The information here is truly invaluable and my thanks to the creators and contributors.

I'm now 12 days post-op bilateral resurfacing. Dr. Su was my surgeon. I was (like most I assume) somewhat nervous about the surgery and decided that if I was going to have it done, would have it done by one of the best. I tried everything to avoid the surgery. PT, steroid injections, PRP, stem cell and arthroscopy (even when Dr. Su thought it would probably not work very well).

Anyway, my issue is that I'm starting to feel some fairly significant pain in the right hip. The right one was much worse than the left pre-surgery. I did a fair distance of walking yesterday (maybe a mile and half with the crutches). Last night and today it has felt very sore and painful. When I put pressure on the leg (standing) , I can really feel it in the joint. It also feels like groin pain in the front of the hip (possibly psoas or adductor). I guess I'm more than a little worried that something isn't quite right with the HR. I have a call into Dr. Su's PA to discuss. This has been such a long and winding road. Fingers crossed it's OK. I know we all heal differently but the pain in the joint area has me most concerned.

If anyone has had a similar experience or issue, would appreciate any feedback you feel is warranted.

Thanks and best.

Jon W.

chuckm

Re: 12 Days Post Op - Bilateral w/ Dr. Su
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2015, 06:28:08 PM »
Hi John and congratulations on the new twins. Sounds like everything is just fine.
You have classic signs of over doing it too early. That's why your hips hurt. Lay low for another week and then just continue to take it easy. Do the stretches that Dr. Su asks.

Make sure Dr. Su knows you were out pushing miles on crutches so early.

Chuckm
Left BHR 11/30/12
Hospital for Special Surgery
46 years old

Jon W.

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2015, 06:52:51 PM »
Thanks Chuck. I appreciate the words of wisdom. I will definitely let Dr. Su know that I was out on the crutches walking. Will cut back for a few days and see where I'm at.

Best.

Jon

chuckm

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2015, 07:05:00 PM »
Pretty amazing though that you got around that far at day 12. I remember tagging along shopping with my wife at around day 10 and realizing that was way too much. I didn't start walking for exercise until 8 weeks. I tried a few times at 6 weeks and it just made me too sore so I wouldn't do it.

Chuckm
Left BHR 11/30/12
Hospital for Special Surgery
46 years old

Jon W.

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2015, 01:23:19 PM »
Thanks again Chuckm. Feels a bit better today. I guess I'm having a hard time squaring the "no restrictions" guidance with how the right side is feeling. I also wonder why the right side feels so much different from the left. Feel like I could ditch the crutches if it were just the left side. So many unknowns and variables. I need to heed your advice and the advice of Dr. Su in his post-op instructions to listen to your body. If it hurts, stop (hopefully not for very long!).

John C

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2015, 02:10:27 PM »
Hi Jon. It sounds like you are on a similar roller coaster recovery that many of us experienced on our way to happy endings (I am now coming up on seven years). When you quote "no restrictions", remember that most doctors refer to that starting at six months or one year after surgery. You mentioned that you were at twelve days, at which point you are just barely starting a long healing process that will involve many varied pains and sensations as your body heals and adjusts. The soft tissue will continue to heal, change, and remodel for a good 18 months, from which perspective 12 days is barely out of the starting gate.
I think that it is great that you stay in touch with your surgeon and his PA just to make sure that nothing is wrong. Even if things are just fine, this contact is important to put your mind at ease.
Good luck on your recovery, take it slow and easy for those first few months, and don't be surprised if you experience the occasional roller coaster.

John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

JHippy

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2015, 01:48:24 AM »
Yea you shouldn't be pushing it that early. I know it's hard because you feel like you can. Don't worry you'll get there. My doc suggested starting with "walking to the neighbor's mailbox" and gradually working up to 1 mile at six weeks. And never continue if you feel any pain. Since you're feeling better after resting a couple days I'm sure you're fine. But should check in with the doc just the same.
Left HR; Dec. 17, 2014; Dr. Gross and Lee Webb NP;
uncemented Biomet Recap/Magnum; 50mm/56mm.

Snowbound

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2015, 08:15:32 AM »
I'm had bilateral resurfacing 3 months ago, my doctor had me stay on crutches for 4 weeks.

I experienced similar pain symptoms. My right hip was the worse one prior to surgery. Since the surgery my left hip felt good but I've had issues with my pain in the adductor/groin area of my right hip.

It started when I got off the crutches and started rehab. Generally it's worse when I get up from sitting feeling pain in the groin when I first stand up, I would take a significant limp on the first step but once I'm up and active the pain was much reduced.

Over time the pain moved around some. At first it would radiate down the adductor, then for a while is was more the inner hamstring. It's gradually improved, but not as fast as I would like. It may be that I've been pushing rehab too much, I go to the gym every day to work the weights (avoiding heavy lifting), ride the bike and stretch.

I still feel the pain in the right hip, but it's minimal now for the most part. I've been going for massage on my hips to the last couple of weeks help relieve the tightness and that's really helped a lot. Prior to surgery I could spread my knees 18", I'm now up to 22".

My adductors have been very tight for a very long time and it's made me somewhat knock kneed so I'm working on strenghtening the abbductors.

NYRFan19

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2015, 09:04:44 AM »
Hey John- I'm also a recent Dr. Su patient- had my left hip resurfaced by him on March 31. I'm sure that the pain you felt is just like the others said- over doing it. I've had a couple days like that myself. I was a very active guy prior to this so its hard to just sit around and take it easy, but that's really the best way. I think slow is fast with this surgery. For the first 3 weeks I really just did the minimum- as in I performed the exercises that were given to me at discharge, did a small amount of walking throughout the day just to get my body moving, and  other than that I just sat around for 3 weeks and rested. I think a lot of rest in the beginning helps. Also a lot of ice. I'm 4 weeks out now and just started therapy and feeling pretty good, but also still taking it easy other than doing the therapy. Hopefully Dr Su gave you the same diagnosis of over doing it, and that nothing more serious is going on. Best of luck with recovery !
Matt-----LBHR 03/31/2015 Dr. Su (HSS)
             RBHR 12/04/2015 Dr. Su (HSS)

Jon W.

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2015, 03:35:55 PM »
Thank you all so much for the words of wisdom. Great advice. I'm slowly getting over the false assumption that recovery from HR is a linear process. I did speak with Dr. Su's PA (Cameron, really nice guy), who basically reiterated everything mentioned above. I think what helped was a discussion of what would really concern Dr. Su and Cameron, i.e. excruciating pain when putting pressure on the leg, feeling a "give" sensation in the joint and any sort of leakage/discharge from the incision. I'm still a little concerned, though given I'm at 2 weeks plus a day, will tone down the anxiety a bit. I'm probably in the wrong forum, should probably be in the mental health issues post surgery forum.  :)

Scheduled to see Cameron in 3 weeks or so. Will have more information at the time of appointment. Going to take it very easy until then and let the healing take over.

Have a great weekend.

Jon W.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat