+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Suggestions for Dr. Gross' Phase II Exercises  (Read 3786 times)

Comfortably Numb

Suggestions for Dr. Gross' Phase II Exercises
« on: June 13, 2015, 03:47:14 PM »
I'm just beginning to get familiar with Dr. Gross' Phase II exercises and I've already run into a couple of problems.  Let me begin by saying that I've always had very tight hamstrings.  When attempting the Quad Stretches, I can barely grasp my ankle.  If I'm not careful, I can roll this into a groin issue.  Have any of you tied a rope or strap to your ankle at first so as to lengthen the pull?

My other problem is with the PSOAS Stretching.  There is no doubt that I need an exercise like this because of my groin tightness, but my hamstring begins to go into a "Charlie horse" before I can even see what this exercise is supposed to do.  Has anyone dealt with this problem?

thanks 
Right HR, April 29, 2015, Dr. Gross and Lee Webb; Uncemented Biomet Magnum 60/54 and Recap AHA 54;
30 degree angle

hernanu

Re: Suggestions for Dr. Gross' Phase II Exercises
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2015, 10:47:54 PM »
I'm just beginning to get familiar with Dr. Gross' Phase II exercises and I've already run into a couple of problems.  Let me begin by saying that I've always had very tight hamstrings.  When attempting the Quad Stretches, I can barely grasp my ankle.  If I'm not careful, I can roll this into a groin issue.  Have any of you tied a rope or strap to your ankle at first so as to lengthen the pull?

My other problem is with the PSOAS Stretching.  There is no doubt that I need an exercise like this because of my groin tightness, but my hamstring begins to go into a "Charlie horse" before I can even see what this exercise is supposed to do.  Has anyone dealt with this problem?

thanks

One large piece of advice, warm up before you do any stretching. Walk a bit, ride a stationary bike, dance, do something to generate a light sweat.

That warms the muscles and lowers the chance of a tear or a pull.

Also - people stretch until it hurts. Not good. The reason it hurts is that you are doing damage. Stretch until it feels tight, then hold it for about twenty seconds and relax. There's no way to rush it, take your time and if your hamstrings are tight, it will take about six months to loosen them.

I'd also suggest yoga as a good way to do overall strength / muscle stretching.

Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal