+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Has anyone had post op hip pain on non-operated side?  (Read 2356 times)

Kal

Has anyone had post op hip pain on non-operated side?
« on: July 15, 2008, 11:54:54 AM »
I am going on 3 weeks after BHR of right hip and now experiencing severe pain on left side.  It is to the point that my excercise of the operated right side is being compromised as it is very difficult to walk for long duration of time.  The right side has no joint pain, only pain from the healing of incision...in fact, it is amazing how well it feels.  Unfortunately, the left side has really set me back. 

AVN is the culprit here - right side had some collapse of femoral head and was at stage 3 to 4.  The left side was also affected but did not have any collapse several months ago.  Mr. Treacy mentioned that I would feel more pain on left side only due to the right being corrected and simply a matter of "noticing" more now versus pre-op when the right side pain superceded the left in the degree of pain. But, I never imagined it would be this severe.  It makes me wonder how long I can hold out before resurfacing the left side??

Anyway, I would appreciate any feedback any of you have to offer as well as any of you that have gone through the same problem.

Kal

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Has anyone had post op hip pain on non-operated side?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2008, 07:17:55 PM »
Hi Kal

A lot of people have the same problem.  The non operated hip takes a lot of extra load after hip surgery. So does the back and knees.  I would try to be patient and give it some time to heal.  Once your operated hip starts to work 100%, it will help the unoperated hip.

I had a lot of problems and thought I needed my other hip done, but it turned out to be brusitis.  I got a steroid shot to help it out.  A lot of repetitive motion makes my unoperated hip hurt.

I hope time will help heal both hips.  It takes months for the healing to occur.  You are still in the very early post op recovery period.  I would just try backing off on my exercises a little to give the unoprated hip a rest.

Good Luck.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

takilasunrise

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2008, 02:21:45 PM »
I wasn't experience what I would call pain, but my left hip was definitely letting me know that I'd been abusing it (before and right after the surgery).  I don't remember when it stopped aching, but it finally did.  I actually feel like I'm walking "normal" again! 

ginnie

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2008, 01:21:35 PM »
try getting into a pool,, the strenghining and streaching are easier accomplished without the curse of gravity !!  :)

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Today at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
Yesterday at 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear