+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: I am Female and need a Hip Resurfacing  (Read 7577 times)

lori.36

I am Female and need a Hip Resurfacing
« on: July 10, 2015, 07:59:58 AM »
Pat,
I was scheduled for a bhr, and just got a call from doc no prostatic available in my size.
I am wondering what my options are?
I need help, my surgery is for 9/15

L-BHR 5-11-2011 Dr Rector
R-HR 9-11-2015 Dr Gross

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: I am Female and need a Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2015, 10:12:26 AM »
Hi Lori

As a woman that wants/needs a hip resurfacing you have 3 options:

1. Go overseas where they still use Wright C Plus and other devices for women.  Surgeons Like Dr. De Smet, Dr. Voelker etc

2.  Go to Dr. Pritchett that uses the Synovo Preserve hip resurfacing device

3. Go to Dr. Gross that uses the cementless Biomet Device

Many surgeons are upset with not having the BHR available for women and small men, but in the US there are not other FDA devices.  The other two devices that were FDA approved are no longer in the US, but overseas.  Our legal system here is terrible - sue, sue, sue!

Good Luck and keep us updated.  I gave you your own topic since it is important.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

DeviceGuy

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2015, 10:26:26 AM »
Lori,
I'm sorry for your dilemma.  Do look at your now limited options if you still wish to have an HRA.
Also, although Dr. Gross uses the Biomet uncemmented femoral component most of the time, he will use the cemented version if that is the wish of the patient.  The cemented version of the Biomet Recap would most closely approximate the BHR that has been withdrawn.  Check with their office to make sure that option is still being offered.  Hopefully that gives you some renewed hope of getting a resurfacing.
Good luck and let us know what you find out and do.
L-Hip Biomet U/C, Gross, MD & Webb, NP; 12/14
R-Hip Biomet U/C, Gross, MD & Webb, NP; 04/15

lori.36

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2015, 10:42:17 AM »
Thank you so much for spelling out my options.  I am so disappointed in Smith & Nephew right now.  Are you going to start a petition of some sorts, is there any possiblity of change.  This is insane that they are taking it off the market, I am 40 and I need this option.  This should be a surgeons decisions and they should only allow certain surgeons to perform the operations.
R-HR 9-11-2015 Dr Gross

Comfortably Numb

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2015, 01:12:11 PM »
Lori,

Look on the bright side.  If this had never happened, you might never have discovered Dr. Gross.  It is within your grasp to have the best of everything where HR is concerned.  Good Luck!
Right HR, April 29, 2015, Dr. Gross and Lee Webb; Uncemented Biomet Magnum 60/54 and Recap AHA 54;
30 degree angle

blinky

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2015, 01:18:35 PM »
I hear ya, Lori!

I had done some research on doctors (thank you, Pat!),obtained my x rays, and was ready to send them out for review when the BHR device was contraindicated for women. Aaargh! I had to go back and re examine my list since several docs dropped off.

Good luck to you. I hope you can get a new date soon.

chuckm

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2015, 01:37:32 PM »
I blame the National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (NICE). Once they changed the outcomes standard from 90% to 95% they instantly tainted the small BHR sizes. Selling devices that do not meet the NICE standards means that litigation could result in much larger settlements and penalties that could be damaging to their core business. It sucks but what business is going to sell a product that does not meet certain standards and is related to public safety? I think that is what some surgeons were referring to when they said there could be other unintended consequences when it is shown that segments of the THR market can't meet that standard either and will those manufacturers keep selling those?

Chuckm
Left BHR 11/30/12
Hospital for Special Surgery
46 years old

JHippy

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2015, 09:09:24 PM »
Lori, I can't recommend Dr. Gross highly enough. True even before the smaller BHR sizes were pulled. His results are great for either gender. My experience with him was awesome. If I were you I'd consult with Gross and DeSmet and cancel the surgery in Sept. Just my 2 cents.

So sorry you and many others have to deal with this, it's maddening.
Left HR; Dec. 17, 2014; Dr. Gross and Lee Webb NP;
uncemented Biomet Recap/Magnum; 50mm/56mm.

lori.36

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2015, 03:40:55 PM »
Dr Gross has me on his schedule for 9/11.
I am also hoping for a miracle and Smith & Nephew will give me the BHR needed for my surgery, so I can use my local doctor of choice.
I will let fate make its decisions.
R-HR 9-11-2015 Dr Gross

Juno

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2015, 07:03:58 PM »
Lori --- I am a smalled boned female. Dr. Gross did both of my hips. I recommend him highly! I am 2 years post op from my first HR and can do everything I want and more. I got my life back. You are in great hands.

Best wishes!

Right resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 7/11/13
Left resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 12/11/13

BAM

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2015, 01:49:04 PM »
Lori -- another happy Dr. Gross patient here.  Small-framed (size 4-6) female, with severe bi-lateral dsyplasia.  First hip done fall 2013, second fall 2014.  I'm running, horseback riding including jumping, hiking, biking, yada yada yada with no issues. 

You asked about flying for surgery; I'm in Alaska so made the 4500 mile trek twice.  Fly first class!  One airport transfer in Minneapolis which Delta made very easy.  Husband took care of everything.  We stayed four days post op both times, not really necessary but just in case .... laid around by the pool.

I've posted about my pre- and post-op experiences, or if you have any questions, ask away!  Good luck. 

surfhippy

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2015, 04:11:14 PM »
Lori, I believe Dr. Gross is your best bet for HR, and would look no further. In my honest opinion, it's a no brainer. I feel great after 14 weeks, and still have a ways to go (12 weeks) before I am released to do what I want. Feeling this good at this stage is a huge indication I made the right choice. I hope everything falls into place for you. Please keep us posted, as I know there are a lot of women and small framed men who were blindsided by the smaller size BHR device being pulled from the market. Good luck!
Mark / Dr. Gross Uncemented Biomet Right Hip Outpatient Surgery on 4/6/2015

lori.36

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2015, 02:46:12 PM »
So Sept 11th is right around the corner and I am going to Dr Gross.
I am returning the flight on day 3, so hoping all goes well with that.
I have two flights and a 2 1/2 hour layover.  Does anyone have any travel advice for me on the way back.
I am thinking that for the airplanes, I want to wear depends, because IDK how I will pee on the plane?
I called the airline and said that I need a wheel chair all the way to my seat.
I have a travel companion.

What else?  what do you do with your crutches?  Can you use an ice machine on the plane?
R-HR 9-11-2015 Dr Gross

blinky

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2015, 06:06:39 PM »
How long are the flights themselves? The airports will have handicapped bathrooms. Can you plan on using the restroom right before the flights?

Listening to the advice you will receive; I will be in your shoes, maybe your Depends, in November.

Torontogirl

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2015, 06:49:49 PM »
Are you having one hip done? You should be good to use crutches at door of aircraft to seat-if you request whcr. to seat you will probably have to transfer at door of ac to a narrower whcr and it is awkward to make transfer to seat. Much better if you use crutches to seat from aircraft door (I used to be a fl.attendant) Also -how long are your flights? Best to get as much leg room as possible (hence 1st class suggestion) so that you can elevate leg as much as possible but if only 1 or 2 hrs flight, shouldn't be a problem. I had bi-lateral done with De Smet 3 yrs ago and travelled from Brussels to Toronto, but travelled Business class for xtra legroom. was able to move easily with help of crutch and holding on to seat. You will be fine! Good Luck!

China Lady

« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2015, 07:05:03 PM »
January 2014 I have had my bilateral surgery in Hongkong. On day 7 I flew home to Shanghai. The over all traveltime was 9 hours.
I asked for wheelchair service but was able to walk with my crutches also. My flight was roughly 4.5 hours. I went to the toilet before and after the flight. We flew business because of the wider space. The flight attendants take care of the crutches. When the sitting becomes a little uncomfortable, elevate yourself with the armes a little bit and change the sitting position.
..........so, let's go! And soon you are welcome on the other side!
..... I will find out

JHippy

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2015, 07:31:15 PM »
I had a nice flight attendant who put together a makeshift ice bag for me. Having ice made a huge difference. I flew across country. It was manageable. Pack light because whomever is with you will have to carry everything, and you're coming back with an extra box (ice machine).
Left HR; Dec. 17, 2014; Dr. Gross and Lee Webb NP;
uncemented Biomet Recap/Magnum; 50mm/56mm.

lori.36

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2015, 04:42:57 PM »
I have a LBHR from 2010. 
This will be my first time flying after surgery
Drive to charolete, I am thinking of staying in Charlotte Saturday night.
Fly out sunday at
1st flight 2hours 55 minutes
2 hour 50 minutes layover
2nd flight 2 hours 17 minutes
then a 40 minute drive home.
I will be very tired I am sure, but I think I can make it.
R-HR 9-11-2015 Dr Gross

lori.36

« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2015, 10:05:35 AM »
So I called AA to see the cost of the upgrade to first class
$1200.  OMG, I need a fundme site for this.
Anyone know of a way to get this to be more reasonable?
R-HR 9-11-2015 Dr Gross

blinky

« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2015, 11:45:15 AM »
Friends with miles?

How big a person are you? Are you small enough that an aisle, bulkhead seat in economy would work pretty well? IDK if those are the kinds of seats that you can buy for a small upgrade fee, or if you can call the airline and tell them you will be post surgery and need special treatment and have someone assign you that seat. Or can you pick a bulkhead seat when you buy your tickets online and have the opportunity to choose seats, whether there is an extra fee or not?

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat