+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Has anyone got pregnant/had children within 2 years after MOM hip resurfacing?  (Read 1636 times)

Slinkycarrot

Hi there,
I am looking at having both hips resrufaced - i have hip dysplasia.  I do not want a THR as i used to be very active.  My current disability is high, i cannot walk without assistance so unfortunately I cannot wait until after children before I have my hips done (I am soon to be 36).

I really want the resurfacing but have read a lot of papers re metal ions and foetuses.  Has anyone had a MOM hip resurfacing and had children shortly after? they recommend waiting 2 years which I cannot do due to my age. I have to weigh up the risks vs the pros.

Any thoughts appreciated, thanks.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Hi

Here are a couple stories

http://www.surfacehippy.info/hspregnancyinformation.php

and more info

http://www.surfacehippy.info/metalionsandpregnancy.php

There has never been much info.  Most of the surgeons at the old hip resurfacing courses would say they suggested waiting 2 years before having children. 

Be sure to ask your surgeon about his opinion and recommendations. Information from an experienced surgeon with a lot of experience will give you good information for decision making.

Good Luck.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Slinkycarrot

thanks Patricia

I spoke to my surgeon and he was of the opinion that it would be ok, his past patients who have gone on to have children have been ok and that there is no data on -ve impact on foetus. 

Still need to weigh it up though as there is lack of information and anecdotal evidence is not enough.

He is also offering a ceramic cup on metal hip resurfacing (more like the bMHR stem), he has 25 female patients with it so it is still relatively new (he has done about 700-800 total).  There are no long term studies done just the lab testing (I forget the name of the manufacturer)... makes for a compelling case given I want to get pregnant however lack of data is the downside.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 11:03:58 AM by westro »

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat