+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Slow recovery at 4 months  (Read 2609 times)

Mike Keeley

Slow recovery at 4 months
« on: September 01, 2015, 09:49:48 PM »
This is my first post and I'm looking for words of wisdom.  I'm 52 and am currently 4 months post op.  Dr Gross took great care of me and I am very pleased with my care but have read about so many people recovering quickly and I am not one of them. I have osteoporosis so was on a slow recovery protocol and walked with a cane for 10 weeks.  I'm now back to work and doing well, but  progressing slowly and with pain.   I'm now walking more but with a limp and am trying to ride my trainer for 45 minutes 3 times a week but am still very sore with everything.  Any advice?  Sound OK?

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Slow recovery at 4 months
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2015, 10:11:56 PM »
Hi Mike
Welcome to Hip Talk.  I am sorry that you feel you are not progressing as quickly as you would like.  I have read stories for the last 10 years from patients and the recoveries are all different.  Sometimes the athletes have very slow recoveries while the couch potatoes recover quickly.  There is no way of predicting. 

I know of people that took a year to even two to get completely healed and back to a normal, pain free life.  My best advice is to take it easy and let your body heal at it's own speed.  Your body is telling you something when you are still sore and achey after being really active.  If a 45 minute trainer ride 3 times a week is making you sore, why not listen and cut it down.  Try 15 minutes and see what happens.  It is not a race.  Your body has a mind of it's own.  Sometimes it is screaming at you and your mind just doesn't want to hear it.

I would slow your pace down and take it easier.  In time, you will be back to being as active as you want, but that could be 6 months or a year from now. 

If you are still limping after a long walk, then you most likely still need a walking aid like a cane.  I have been told and heard by surgeons that you should use a cane, etc until you lose your limp.  Maybe take a cane with you and as you get tired use it.  I know you don't want to hear that, but your body is complaining and needs more time and less pushing.

I am sure you will read this 6 months or a year from now and wonder - why was I so worried. 

Good Luck and be patient.  Let us know how you are doing.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

einreb

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2015, 11:12:46 PM »
This is my first post and I'm looking for words of wisdom.  I'm 52 and am currently 4 months post op.  Dr Gross took great care of me and I am very pleased with my care but have read about so many people recovering quickly and I am not one of them. I have osteoporosis so was on a slow recovery protocol and walked with a cane for 10 weeks.  I'm now back to work and doing well, but  progressing slowly and with pain.   I'm now walking more but with a limp and am trying to ride my trainer for 45 minutes 3 times a week but am still very sore with everything.  Any advice?  Sound OK?

the slow protocol is tough, both mentally and physically.

I did that after my surgery and it made it tough for that rock star type recovery. all those little stabilizer muscles are so important to getting rid of that limp and not always intuitive to get working.... especially spending 10 weeks on crutches.  Are  you working with a physical therapist at all?
40yo at the time of my 2/16/2011 left hip uncemented Biomet resurface with Tri Spike Acetabular cup by Gross

Mike Keeley

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2015, 01:42:50 PM »
No PT at this time.  Just doing the exercises and stretches Dr Gross recommended.

karlos.bell

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2015, 04:20:57 PM »
 :D Hi Mike. Bilateral or Unilateral? makes a difference. Your doing well if you can be back at work cut down on the trainer.
The ones that recover quickly may be are the ones we hear about but improvement overall is what you are after. Should be not too far away from seeing a PT but try and get someone that specializes in hip rehabilitation.
They have found the (PT's) that The hip is not a ball and socket as once perceived.
My experience of leaving it too long the external rotator muscles in the hip get weak and this causes a massive issue of instability in the hip.
It is not all that simple what happens down there to get the hip to work correctly again.
Take a bit longer due to your osteoporosis before you start PT
Example I am 4 months out and just starting PT.
Good luck and take it easy, keep asking questions.
Cheers K
2019-2020 THR Left & Right COC Revision Zim Continuum cup with Biolox Delta Cer Liner, Biolox Delta Cer Head 40mm 12/14 Taper, CPT Stem Cem.
2019-2020 removal of Hip Resurfacing due to Metal Toxicity Cobalt - Chromium.
2015 MOM Conserve plus
2011-2013 FAI hip surgery failure
2007-Injury wakeboarding

einreb

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2015, 04:35:13 PM »
No PT at this time.  Just doing the exercises and stretches Dr Gross recommended.

how are those going? 

What i found fascinating about working with a PT was their ability to identify weaknesses and tightness with the intent to correct those deficiencies and bring strength back to a balance that allowed proper walking and eventually running.

Out of curiosity, can you be more specific than 'very sore with everything'?

-Bernie

40yo at the time of my 2/16/2011 left hip uncemented Biomet resurface with Tri Spike Acetabular cup by Gross

Mike Keeley

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2015, 10:28:42 PM »
I think I'm most sore with hip flexion and abduction.  Also maybe sore when I bear more weight.  I'm walking best on level ground and having more problems and discomfort walking uphill.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear